Quick Charge, Practical Introduction Unknown

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjfotos

Article out of Japan on a quick charge device, unknown how practical to implement and use.

http://gas2.org/2010/05/05/ultra-quick-battery-charge-system-developed-50-full-in-3-minutes/#more-7511

This is interesting.

The Nikkei newspaper (subs. req’d) says that a Japanese company has built a quick charge system that can take a battery from zero charge to 50% full in about 3 minutes.
Also, because the system works off of trickle charging a contained battery, it can charge its own batteries when utilities charge the lowest rates (typically at night), thereby saving the business and the customer money.

Wonder how large a battery they have ? They can't be having a very large battery if it costs only $63K - and that would mean they can only charge 3 or 4 EVs without recharging.

Assuming $500/Wh, and assuming half the price is in the pack, that'd be 63kWh. I'd sure think that'd be enough!

Assuming that it takes something like 20 minutes to replace the energy used to fully charge one Leaf, a 64kWh size pack might partly charge 3 Leafs with little waiting, and, with just occasional use, be nearly "always ready".

One does lose a significant amount of energy (maybe half) in the high-current discharge, DC-to-DC conversion (vehicle-charging-current regulation), and the high-current charging.

Only a few vehicles, initially, would be able to accept the very-quickest charging rates, where overheating of cells could be significant. Even though some cell types and configurations will probably be able to tolerate 60C (one minute) charging, the 2000 amp (or more) currents are non-trivial to control, I suspect.

But, 4 or 5-minute charging (15C or 12C) would be roughly equivalent to liquid fueling speeds, where some pumps take 20 seconds to deliver one gallon.

Back