Battery Cost Comments from AESC

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjfotos

From an interview in Japan.....I quote an interesting paragraph below:

-------------------------------
Nissan’s battery currently costs about 1.05 million yen, or $472 per kilowatt-hour, according to Takeshi Miyao, an analyst in Tokyo at auto consulting company Carnorama. Other components cost about 1.4 million yen, and labor and other indirect costs must be contained to 35 percent of the sticker price to secure a profit, he said.

-----------------------------------

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2010-05-14/nissan-s-leaf-battery-maker-targets-cost-of-less-than-9-000.html

sjfotos said:
From an interview in Japan.....I quote an interesting paragraph below:

-------------------------------
Nissan’s battery currently costs about 1.05 million yen, or $472 per kilowatt-hour, according to Takeshi Miyao, an analyst in Tokyo at auto consulting company Carnorama. Other components cost about 1.4 million yen, and labor and other indirect costs must be contained to 35 percent of the sticker price to secure a profit, he said.

-----------------------------------

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2010-05-14/nissan-s-leaf-battery-maker-targets-cost-of-less-than-9-000.html

Nice job, Steve! That'll help the price-obsessed on the forum. ;)

AndyH said:
Nice job, Steve! That'll help the price-obsessed on the forum. ;)

Oh no. Some more contradictory numbers.

So, the following make it sound like the $9,000 for 24kwh (or $375/kwh) an aspirational number.

Nissan Motor Co., which will start selling its Leaf electric car this year, aims to cut the cost of the vehicle’s lithium-ion battery pack to less than $370 per kilowatt-hour to make a profit from the model.

But ... their target is actually lesser than $370 !

“Our target is a lot tougher” than $370, Otsuka said in an interview yesterday at AESC’s headquarters in Zama City, west of Tokyo.

So, the $472/kwh is an estimate by an third party analyst.

Nissan’s battery currently costs about 1.05 million yen, or $472 per kilowatt-hour, according to Takeshi Miyao, an analyst in Tokyo at auto consulting company Carnorama.

Ofcource, we don't know whether he is talking about Japanese sticker price or US :?

labor and other indirect costs must be contained to 35 percent of the sticker price to secure a profit, he said.

Thanks AndyH, it pales in comparison with your Uber-informative posts !

@evnow, yeah....point well taken...It is all very tantalizing, and all very conflicting and unclear! Your earlier comments on the multiplicity of calculated costs still apply x2

Back