LiMn Cell Overview - CPI/LG Chem

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyH

http://www1.eere.energy.gov/vehiclesandfuels/pdfs/merit_review_2009/energy_storage/es_07_alamgir.pdf

This is an excellent overview of LG Chem's LiMn cells from the US Advanced Battery Consortium. These cells are being used in the Volt and Hyundai Sonata. While the overall chemistry and laminated cell format are also used by Nissan/AESC, this info doesn't necessarily represent the Leaf battery (but I'll bet it's pretty close).

LiMn wasn't know for its long life -- but it's come a long way in a short amount of time:

limnlife.jpg

Enjoy!

Yes, thanks! That's pretty encouraging. Does anyone remember what Nissan was predicting when it came to charging cycles?

Edit: I looked, and they haven't. All they've been saying is that the battery is "expected to last 5-10 years".

over 550 thousand cycles?? hell, I'm going to have to charge my LEAF every 3 minutes for the next...well long time... Math is hard :)

Gavin

Gavin said:
over 550 thousand cycles?? hell, I'm going to have to charge my LEAF every 3 minutes for the next...well long time... Math is hard :)

Gavin
By an amazing coincidence, "long time" turns out to be that the battery will die 51 days after your 3-year lease ends and you decide to buy the car. You know what they say about warranties.

- Math is EZ :cool:

Back