While you're at it put an air hose on the EVSE

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LTLFTcomposite

Because tire pressure is important to mileage, and hence EV range, an air compressor/hose would be a handy addition to the EVSE. It could even be preset to deliver the correct pressure to the Leaf tires so you wouldn't need a gauge. Always better to check the pressure at home when the tires are cold.

A nitrogen generator would really be gilding the lily.

LTLFTcomposite said:
Because tire pressure is important to mileage, and hence EV range, an air compressor/hose would be a handy addition to the EVSE. It could even be preset to deliver the correct pressure to the Leaf tires so you wouldn't need a gauge. Always better to check the pressure at home when the tires are cold.

A nitrogen generator would really be gilding the lily.

Wow -- this is a good idea! +1!

Right. Plus people won't be going to gas stations in the normal course so won't have the opportunity to check the tires there frequently unless they make a special trip - which is what I end up doing for our two ICE cars now, anyway, since the air hoses now all seem to be off in a remote corner of the station with a coin operation instead of right at the pump island the way they used to be. So I would probably not do anything different, but others may normally check them while filling up and would have to get used to making special trips unless this EVSE idea is implemented.

I believe the Leaf is going to have a TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System), so it should alert you if a tire is low, with that said you do want to check them every week anyway. I have a small sears compressor in my garage, works fine for filling up tires...

How about a vacuum cleaner hose so we can clean while we charge? An espresso / cappuccino machine would be nice too.

That reminds me of a story told by Doctor Sid Watkins once a few years back.

Before he retired, Dr. Sid Watkins was the head doctor that followed the Formula One races and had to always be on instant call in case of an accident. Mercedes supplied the Doctor Emergency vehicle - a very high power, large Mercedes Estate car with built in TV so that the driver and doctor could watch the race and every conceivable mod-con.

After a few months, the head of Mercedes Benz asked Sid what he thought of the car. Sid jokingly complained that there was nowhere to store the brandy and no humidor for his cigars.

At the next race, the car was fitted with a cut-glass brandy decanter with two crystal glasses and a humidor containing ten Cuban cigars.

I hope the TPMS on the Leaf is of the variety that actually knows the pressure in each tire, rather than the type that relies on ABS sensors to let it know when one is low relative to the others.

The TPMS on the 2010 Prius only shows a warning when the pressure is "quite" low, depends upon what pressure was there when they were "set". It is basically useless for keeping the tires "topped up".

Yes, I would like to see the actual pressures, or % of the "set" pressure, to see when I need to "top-up".

I once had an aftermarket system that would show the pressure in each tire. It worked fairly well but it was a pain to re-program it when tires were rotated. Eventually a tire shop broke one of the sensors and I gave up on it. The newer systems are much better.

Can you guys recommend a decent (and inexpensive) compressor ?

Filling it up @ gas stations is a pain.

evnow said:

Filling it up @ gas stations is a pain.

About all I can suggest is to look at reviews online (eg Amazon). The tradeoff between oil-free and lubricated units is that the oil-free ones are less maintenance but 10x more deafening. Mine requires synthetic oil.

evnow said:
I'm guessing you'll get different answers, but I I am currently using the Black & Decker ASI300 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000IE0YIQ) and love it. It will run off of AC or DC, and can be set to stop inflating after it hits a certain pressure.
It has two possible downsides:
  • The AC cord is very short. You pretty much need an extension cord to use this.
  • The gauge is not very accurate. It's consistent, but you can't expect 20PSI on the gauge to actually be 20PSI. This means you need to do a little experimentation for the "stop inflating" feature to work the way you want it to.

I knew both of the above going in, and never found it to be a problem. It's loud and a little slow, but it gets the job done. I really like being able to plug it in to use it at home, but also having the DC option for 'emergencies'

Before you rush out and get something that's only suitable for topping off tires, consider some of the other useful things you can use it for... brad nailer, stapler, blow gun, paint sprayer, etc. Something with a tank is handy since you can run it to fill the tank, then take it somewhere away from AC power perhaps to blow up a flat tire on a stranded car.

I've had one for 25 years and used it to death.

Oh, on the subject of DC powered portable compressors - they're all crap (cheaply made, loud, slow) but they should last for years of normal use. The built-in gauges are worthless on all of them. I keep one in my trunk at all times.

I have an air chuck for my big compressor that has a built in gauge, and that's worthless, too. You always need a good, separate tire gauge. Preferably an analog one.

Also keep in mind that the bigger AC powered compressors shouldn't be stored with a pressurized air tank. The tanks are cast iron and the pressure accelerates the corrosion process. That's why I keep a cheap ($30) air tank filled up and drain the air and water from my compressor after each use.

LEAFer said:
The Tesla Roadster displays BOTH pressure AND temperature of each tire :cool:

Great, I think I'll save the $70K+ and still buy the Leaf, even iit doesn't have a fancy TPMS.

I bought an external TPMS for my Gen II Prius that worked pretty well and did have tempeture and pressure monitoring as well, but you have to install the sensors with "straps" to the inside of the wheels, cost $250 at the time (2004)... I gave it to the dealer when I traded it in for my Gen 3, wasn't worth the money it would have cost to remove the 4 sensors, etc. The TPMS is only to warn very "unobservant" drivers, most of us should be/will be checking the tires weekly...

Back