EVDRIVER

All "Future" battery technology thread

Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:56 am

This thread is for all PR releases, articles and other sources of info on future battery and energy tech that is not commercially available today. Please post here. Any others that are available today to buy or in the use of EVs please start a new thread :D

Nekota
Delivery Date: 12 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2182

Re: All "Future" battery technology thread

Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:59 am

Fluoride Ion Batteries offer 10x energy density over Lithium Ion

http://www.rdmag.com/News/2011/10/Energ ... thium-ion/
Res 20Apr2010 / Ordered 27Sep2010 / Delivered 12May2011

PV System

padamson1
Delivery Date: 27 Oct 2011
Leaf Number: 9240

Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:44 pm

Nekota wrote:Fluoride Ion Batteries offer 10x energy density over Lithium Ion

http://www.rdmag.com/News/2011/10/Energ ... thium-ion/

Give the qualifier in the article about the issues with the electrolyte:
from R&D magazine article that wrote:Another challenge lies in the further development of the electrolyte: The solid electrolyte applied so far is suited for applications at elevated temperatures only. It is therefore aimed at finding a liquid electrolyte that is suited for use at room temperature.

...I doubt we'll be seeing fluoride batteries anytime soon

BatMan
Delivery Date: 03 Nov 2011

Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:50 am

That´s true.
But it´s like always: researcher develop something new which has, undoubtedly, a very high potential - and the first question is: when will it be on the market... :roll:
And then comes the press and pushes it so that the researchers have rather to defend themselves.

From the work at KIT it seems that they have startedf with a proof-of-principle, which is already remarkable. I guess that there will be follow-ups.

Remember what J. Goodenough said in his first talk about LiFePO4: 'nice material, but unfortunately it doesn´t work...'

surfingslovak
Vendor

Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:12 pm

Picked this up on the Tesla forum. It's a fun video, which talks about liquid batteries:

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/this-could- ... 55500.html

At MIT, Professor Yet-Ming Chiang and his team of researchers are trying to reinvent the rechargeable battery for electric vehicles and and grid storage.

The new lightweight and inexpensive batteries would be half the weight and price of current batteries, and would make refueling as easy as filling a traditional tank with gas. No more waiting overnight for a charge. The new battery relies on an innovative architecture called a semi-solid flow cell, in which solid particles are suspended in a carrier liquid and pumped through the system. Flow-cell batteries have been around for awhile but they use a liquid fuel that is low in energy density and therefore too large and impractical for cars.

The semi-solid flow battery uses a fuel called "Cambridge Crude" designed at MIT, which is 10 times more energy dense than liquid flow-cell, making it compact and lightweight enough for cars. These batteries are also well suited for large scale electricity storage because they be easily scaled up at a low cost.

GeekEV
Delivery Date: 15 Feb 2011
Leaf Number: 0308

Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:06 pm

Oh, now THAT is interesting. Best of all is it sounds like it could be slotted into the existing gas station distribution channels with little difficulty. If that pans out, I could totally see the industry rallying around that!

2014 Chevy Spark EV 2LT
2013 Tesla Model S 60kWh[/url]
AV L2 EVSE + kWh meter
9.4kW Solar Array + enphase energy

Clarissa
Delivery Date: 30 Dec 2011

Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:02 pm

It sounds amazing. That kind of batteries would absolutely change the way things work. Surely, there is a question of marketing and how much the big shots are ready to allow them to get to the market.
Check out the brain supplement reviews to choose the best ones for you.

jkirkebo
Delivery Date: 30 Oct 2011
Leaf Number: 007344

Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:40 pm

Clarissa wrote:It sounds amazing. That kind of batteries would absolutely change the way things work. Surely, there is a question of marketing and how much the big shots are ready to allow them to get to the market.

Personally, I find the ability to charge at home one of the best attributes of current EVs. I would never buy one that couldn't be charged at home, where I had to go to a "battery" station instead.

linkim

Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:43 pm

surfingslovak wrote:Picked this up on the Tesla forum. It's a fun video, which talks about liquid batteries:

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/this-could- ... 55500.html

The MIT concept is a flow battery with semi-solid material that is pumped through the battery stack. This means you will need pumps, valves, etc. to control the flow. Scale up could be an issue for use in EVs where available volume is limited. Many years ago, use of a zinc slurry in a flow battery (Zn/air) was considered but the system is more complicated than if the Zn is stationary (for example, in a Zn/air hearing aid battery). The flow battery is more practical for stationary applications, and could be used to charge EVs, but using them on-board to power EVs is more difficult for me to conceive. However, there is some PR from Europe suggesting flow batteries can be used on-board EVs, so we shall see.
LEAF SL + QC
Reserved: 4/20/10
Received: April 19, 1 year after reservation

saywatt
Delivery Date: 25 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 4701

Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:54 pm

I guess I screwed up and posted this link in the wrong place the other day. So here it is the right place.......I hope" :oops:

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg2 ... zlers.html

Return to “Batteries & Charging”