Kataphn
Delivery Date: 13 Jun 2013

Public charging station protocol

Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:49 am

Do you think we will all be able to follow this protocol at public stations? http://www.evchargernews.com/chargingprotocol.htm

Seems like it needs to be updated. I am sure this will be an issue as more and more EVs want to access the public charging spaces.
Delivered: May 3, 2011
VIN: 1467 made 3-7-11
SL, Blue, eTec trim, EV project Blink
[purchased] as of 11-1-13: 25,000: 11 bars
Also have a PiP

mitch672

Re: Public charging station protocol

Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:58 pm

Looks like a good plan, someone has already thought about the issue and come up with way to handle it.
2012 Advanced Plug in Prius (sold)
I Support OpenEVSE: http://code.google.com/p/open-evse/
My Fuelly page: http://www.fuelly.com/driver/mitch672/prius-plugin
Tesla Model S 85KW Dolphin Grey VIN: 03245, delivered 1/17/2013

Skywagon
Delivery Date: 08 Jan 2011

Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:24 pm

In the mid/late 90's and into the early 2000's there were very few of us using the chargers compared to what the expected demand will be if EV's hit mainstream. That protocol worked well then as we were a small community and were all willing to accept it as a group.

I brought this up at the eTec town hall as a concern and it seemed to be blown off. There were several people there who were involved in the EV1/S-10E programs and understood where I was coming from.

I will say one thing. If I approach a charger in my Leaf and there is a Volt plugged-in, and I need to charge, I will unplug the Volt. They are a glorified hybrid and can still get by on gasoline, at least in a cripple mode. EV's do not have a gasoline crutch and I will treat Volts accordingly. I look for this to become an issue as the EV parking spots will be prime locations during the holiday shopping season, sporting events, etc. They were that way in the past and I had numerous gasoline cars towed for parking in an EV only spot (some were trying to fake people out and laying the inductive paddles in their grilles like they were charging... nice try).

EVDRIVER

Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:43 pm

Skywagon wrote:In the mid/late 90's and into the early 2000's there were very few of us using the chargers compared to what the expected demand will be if EV's hit mainstream. That protocol worked well then as we were a small community and were all willing to accept it as a group.

I brought this up at the eTec town hall as a concern and it seemed to be blown off. There were several people there who were involved in the EV1/S-10E programs and understood where I was coming from.

I will say one thing. If I approach a charger in my Leaf and there is a Volt plugged-in, and I need to charge, I will unplug the Volt. They are a glorified hybrid and can still get by on gasoline, at least in a cripple mode. EV's do not have a gasoline crutch and I will treat Volts accordingly. I look for this to become an issue as the EV parking spots will be prime locations during the holiday shopping season, sporting events, etc. They were that way in the past and I had numerous gasoline cars towed for parking in an EV only spot (some were trying to fake people out and laying the inductive paddles in their grilles like they were charging... nice try).

I've seen this as well . I do think that anything with tank of gas should give way to an EV.

JasonT

Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:47 pm

Skywagon wrote:I will say one thing. If I approach a charger in my Leaf and there is a Volt plugged-in, and I need to charge, I will unplug the Volt.
I will readily admit - I am new to the EV scene , unlike yourself. But this attitude to me seems elitist, and likely to get your car keyed if not worse.

I completely agree with you about a car that does not accept charging should get towed if the spot is clearly designated as for charging vehicles only. But to feel you have more of a "right" to a charge than a Volt is preposterous. You're making a number of assumptions about the Volt driver and even if you're completely correct you still don't have more of a right.

KeiJidosha
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 26 Jun 2011

Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:00 pm

JasonT wrote:
Skywagon wrote:I will say one thing. If I approach a charger in my Leaf and there is a Volt plugged-in, and I need to charge, I will unplug the Volt.
I will readily admit - I am new to the EV scene , unlike yourself. But this attitude to me seems elitist, and likely to get your car keyed if not worse.

I completely agree with you about a car that does not accept charging should get towed if the spot is clearly designated as for charging vehicles only. But to feel you have more of a "right" to a charge than a Volt is preposterous. You're making a number of assumptions about the Volt driver and even if you're completely correct you still don't have more of a right.

When I use a charger, I leave a card on my dash with my cell # and paper clip the time I plan to charge to.

http://www.evchargernews.com/chargeprotocolcard.pdf

If I find a car on the charger, I will only unhook it if it is done charging, otherwise I leave it unless there is a phone# / Time / Contact.

Also, the J1772 protocol allows for a “Connector lock” on the vehicle that will lock the charge cable to the car unless released. Don’t know if Nissan plans to use this. Courtesy seems a better option.

garygid
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 29 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000855

Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:48 am

Since a hybrid, like the Volt, will never "need" to charge in public, and Pure EVs depend on it, perhaps the signs should say "Pure EVs ONLY, NO Hybrids".

There is no good reason to make the very limited public charging facilities available to hybrids.
See SOC/GID-Meter and CAN-Do Info
2010 Prius, now for sale
2011 LEAF, sold in 2015
2018 Tesla Model 3
2014 Tesla S, Model 3 in 2019
PU: SDG&E
Solar PV: 33 x 225W -> 7 kW max AC
To Sell: X-treme 5000Li EV motorcycle

palmermd
Delivery Date: 31 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 1100011011

Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:59 am

garygid wrote:Since a hybrid, like the Volt, will never "need" to charge in public, and Pure EVs depend on it, perhaps the signs should say "Pure EVs ONLY, NO Hybrids".

There is no good reason to make the very limited public charging facilities available to hybrids.

Don't let the Volt forum people hear you say that. They will argue that they are a pure ev, and that it is not a hybrid. They have an extended range electric vehicle. They say they are a BEV with a range extender. "vehicles with fuel tanks not allowed".
Michael

Leaf from 31 March 2011 - Traded 18 April 2018 for Tesla Model 3 Unicorn
Driving electric since 1996

Leaf Bar Loss

EVDRIVER

Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:03 am

palmermd wrote:
garygid wrote:Since a hybrid, like the Volt, will never "need" to charge in public, and Pure EVs depend on it, perhaps the signs should say "Pure EVs ONLY, NO Hybrids".

Don't let the Volt forum people hear you say that. They will argue that they are a pure ev, and that it is not a hybrid. They have an extended range electric vehicle. They say they are a BEV with a range extender. "vehicles with fuel tanks not allowed".

I won't go there but the word "Hybrid" seems to indicate more than one fuel type and the volt is one fat PIG of a heavy EV. I makes the Leaf look light weight:)

JasonT

Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:18 am

I very strongly feel that this is a bad path to go down, and shouldn't be done.

Since the Volt can run without someone putting in any gas at all, I don't see why they should be excluded. I can very easily see some Volt users who got it for the "extended range" but only gas up if they are actually going outside of their 40mile range. Just because someone buys a Volt doesn't necessarily mean they have any more love of Big Oil than us Leafers do.

We really need to all "get along". Certainly most (if not all) of the people here feel that the Leaf is a better solution than the Volt. But the Leaf clearly has limitations as well - the biggest one being that it just doesn't work for a single-car household that needs to go more than about 80 miles. I live in Tucson -- the next big city is Phoenix which is about 100 miles away. If we didn't have a second car I would not have even looked at the Leaf -- it just wouldn't work for us.

This makes me think about the South Park episode that was about Prius owners. It got to where the Prius owners were loving the smell of their own farts. I just don't want to see Leafers ending up being looked at the same way.

Will there be growing pains? Certainly. Until electric charging stations are on every corner like gas stations are now, it's going to be bumpy. And as long as charging stations are free, everyone will want to tap in wherever they can. But the solution is not to try to further sub-divide the market making an "us vs them". The solution is to push for more charging stations, to encourage retailers the value of attracting plug-in users to their stores.

Return to “Batteries & Charging”