How secure is unattended charging?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikepapot

I wonder what might happen when I connect my (coming) Leaf to a public chargepoint and leave it there while I go shopping for at least half an hour. If some naughty guys pull out the cable, I am still left with an empty battery when I come back. Is there some way to secure the connector to prevent this from happening?

Has somebody got a clue?

Cheers, Mike.

mikepapot said:
I wonder what might happen when I connect my (coming) Leaf to a public chargepoint and leave it there while I go shopping for at least half an hour. If some naughty guys pull out the cable, I am still left with an empty battery when I come back. Is there some way to secure the connector to prevent this from happening?

Has somebody got a clue?

Cheers, Mike.

I was wondering the same thing. I found this EV charging protocol on http://www.evchargernews.com/chargingprotocol.htm
They post a handy protocol card to post in your window to tell other EV drivers when they can unplug your EV. I know that doesn't directly answer your question. I'd like to believe that other EV drivers would be respectful, but I don't think there's anything we can do about the jerk in the Hummer who thinks he's being funny by unplugging your EV.

mikepapot said:

Has somebody got a clue?

Cheers, Mike.

I asked this question a month or two ago here. Here's a pointer to the post. I think there is a concern about securing the connection and hopefully there will be a solution when the car is rolled out.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=610&p=7649&hilit=secure+wand#p7649

The J1772 connector has a manually operated 'latch' that keeps the connector on the vehicle. The spec includes an option for a 'latch lock' on the car-side connector to keep the two connectors mated but I haven't seen anything that suggests automakers have implemented a lock. That doesn't mean it's not being looked at as at least one OEM specifically asked about the lock capability during the June J1772 meeting.

Level 3 uses a 'mechanical assist' to keep the connectors mated. Keep a package of nylon wire ties and a pair of wire cutters in the car - they can't disconnect if they can't open the handle! :D

Like - a lightweight metalized 'rain screen' that we can throw over the charge door and cable? Most folks wouldn't know that it's connected to the battery-powered electric fence module!

Some kind of sign to hang at the charging dock should do the trick.

2392119554_f05641ca5f.jpg

The LEAF will call/text your phone when the charge is complete/interrupted.

Have used public charging many times with no problems to date. Conflict will most likly be with other EVs needing to charge, so all will benefit from follow the EVCHARGERNEWS protocols.

My husband and I were just in Portland OR, where they have on-street electric car charging stations. We were on a walking tour and I asked this very question: What's to keep someone from coming along and unplugging your car? The tour guide was very surprised I had even asked. "Why would someone do that?" he said. I guess that's because he lives in Portland, not in Chicago!

Some J1772 sockets will have a "lock" feature to keep the hose-plug (the e-nozzle) "locked" to your car's socket. Do not know about the LEAF's socket.

But, I believe that the exposure in public charging is non-trivial.

Perhaps in Japan they do not have the vandalism problem?

The Nissan Leaf can notify you on your cell phone if charging is interrupted. Also, the Chargepoint EVSEs have locking 120 volt plugs and will notify you when charging is interrupted.

Locking plugs (preventing the plug from being pulled out of the socket on the wall) is rather dangerous, as the cable may be damaged, and live. (Unless there is a switch beside the socket.)

In Norway we have hundres of charging points (3.6 kW 230V 16A), provided free by the government. They are semi-lockable, so that if you yank the cable, the plug is pulled out of the socket, but still trapped in the charging pole (so people can't steal the cable).

The government additionally gives USD 1500.00 for each charging point for companies and blocks of flats.

Here, locking the e-nozzle to the car was the issue.

The e-hose can be pulled out of the EVSE box (and that turns off
the power out of the EVSE box, and thus to the e-hose and the car).
This is provided as a strain relief (break-away safety feature) in case
the car rolls or drives away with the e-nozzle still plugged in.

Hopefully people will not realize that vandalizing the public charge "hose"
is one way to get an e-hose for their home projects! As far as I know,
we do not yet have any "public" source to buy an e-hose and Ji772 "e-nozzle".

It's too bad the standard doesn't enable the EVSE to query the VIN of the vehicle it is charging. If it did, I could swipe my credit card, plug in, and walk away. If somebody tried to disconnect from my car and connect to theirs, the EVSE could just refuse to supply juice to the thief's car.

Most likely the public EVSE will handle that situation be refusing
to continue charging (without a new credit card swipe to "activate" it)
after the LEAF is "full" (quits charging), or the charging is interrupted,
for example by removig the e-nozzle from the car.

True, plus the thief has to deal with the issue of connecting the cable to a car other than the one occupying the space it is obviously intended to serve.

How about the death penalty for anyone tampering with an EV connection?

Two points from this month's SAE J1772 meeting (and the Euro paper I linked to in the J1772 update thread) is that the Euro requirements are different for vehicle charging, and the latch-lock mechanism for the J1772 connector will likely be used by manufacturers outside the US.

In Europe, the vehicle owner is required to supply the cable that runs from the EVSE to the car - so there are two connections to secure. Forget your cable? No charge for you!

In the US, the cable is required to be hard-wired to the EVSE - so we only have the vehicle end to secure. The J1772 standard has a 'latch lock' capability - and it's being refined and implemented as we speak. In the US/North American market (once the latch lock is implemented by the auto makers) no one will be able to 'steal' the cable. Once the EVSE is connected, it'll stay that way until the car unlocks the plug.

In addition, unplugging shuts down the AC or DC feed - and it'll take a properly seated plug and another card swipe to activate the EVSE.

Back