EVSE Upgrade

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gbhyatt

I came across this link

http://evseupgrade.com/?7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Has anyone purchased this upgrade? Is it worth having?

Thanks.

A large percentage of LEAF owners have purchased this upgrade....They've been doing it for over a year....It works well, you can't go wrong...

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=2707" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is a must have option. With it you can charge from any 240V outlet, dryer, range etc. You just need some adapters and an extension cord.

It is just awful. I was not able to spend $3000 on an inferior unit from AV. I was only able to charge my car at the maximum available rate from a home charger. Worst of all customer service and delivery were superb and quick.

I bought a new one from them, 16A version. I use it in Norway, so I can confirm they work great on European 230V 50Hz power too.

Our included EVSEs are 230V, but only 10A.

Same here, but both are the Mod-L1 (12 amp) version,
from the time before Rev2 was available.

Realize that the modification ADDS 240v operation, and
you can still use it to charge from a 120v source.

I intend to send one back to have Rev2 (the 16 amp option) installed.

I have been using one daily for over a year, for all my charging,
with no failures at all.

I connect it to a 2x120->240v plug adapter that is only 1-foot long.
This adapter stays plugged into two of the sockets on one double
duplex receptacle in the laundry room just off the garage.

I used the standard "included" 120v charging previous to this,
but the 2x faster charging is VERY convenient to have.

Perhaps a tad bit expensive, but it is worth it to have this properly
designed and well-tested modification done well, professionally and safely.

Highly recommended.

I, too, have used nothing else for home charging but EVSEupgrade rev2 (16 Amp). I recently took it with me to use at a 240 Volt 14-50 outlet located in the local town park, so that I could make a long trip over a high mountain pass for the first time. I used a purchased 14-50 to L6-20 adapter and a 30 foot L6-20 extension cord that I made myself. Worked fine.

Sure beats trickle charging at 120 V, 12 Amps!

mwalsh said:
Yes. In fact, mine was the first one ever converted. The vendor is one of our own (user ID ingineer) and completely trustworthy.

It saddens me to tell you that my upgraded EVSE is no more. Used it successfully at Thanksgiving, dead as a Dodo bird when I went to use it today. :cry:

Still, just shy of six years is a pretty good innings I suppose, but the timing for having to look for something new is a tad inconvenient.

mwalsh said:
mwalsh said:
Yes. In fact, mine was the first one ever converted. The vendor is one of our own (user ID ingineer) and completely trustworthy.

It saddens me to tell you that my upgraded EVSE is no more. Used it successfully at Thanksgiving, dead as a Dodo bird when I went to use it today. :cry:

Still, just shy of six years is a pretty good innings I suppose, but the timing for having to look for something new is a tad inconvenient.
You should give Phil a call. When I emailed EVSEupgrade earlier in the year about a early EVSEupgrade'd EVSE(from a 3.6kw Leaf) that would charge at full amps when hooked up to a 6.6kw Leaf I was offered an upgrade to the most current innards?? for a very reasonable 1/2 the normal upgrade price($150). Now I'm not sure what they'd do in your case but it would be worth a try :) My '13 EVSEupgrade'd EVSE is still in use daily and working like a champ.

jjeff said:
You should give Phil a call. When I emailed EVSEupgrade earlier in the year about a early EVSEupgrade'd EVSE(from a 3.6kw Leaf) that would charge at full amps when hooked up to a 6.6kw Leaf I was offered an upgrade to the most current innards?? for a very reasonable 1/2 the normal upgrade price($150). Now I'm not sure what they'd do in your case but it would be worth a try :) My '13 EVSEupgrade'd EVSE is still in use daily and working like a champ.

You're right, and aside from anything else he might be interested in autopsying it to see what failed. :D

Back