Hawaii Free Parking

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nice to know about the airport parking is free. and thanks for the update of all the free parking,

I almost got a parking ticket at a metered space. The enforcement officer told me it had to have he EV plates to receive the free parking. I explained that it was an EV and that my plates were on the way. She told me to put money in the meter an she would let me slide. I am not sure if you would have the same experience at the airport or not.

seswindale said:
Do you think I will be able to get free Parking at the airport or the Kaimuki lot with my temporary paper license plate?

I needed to go to the airport twice.

The first time the attendant called her supervisor who instructed her that I needed the special plate on the car, so I paid me fee.

The second time the attendant looked for the tag first, then asked if I had anything to prove to her that it was electric. I showed her the large auto price sticker that I had taken out of the window and had folded in the glove compartment. It says 100% electric on it. She had me write my name and phone number on the ticket and gave me FREE parking.

Can you park at Aloha Stadium? The harbor? Etc.

Seems to me if you read the law it says that you can park for free on any gov't land; that is, parking lot even if it is managed by a vendor such as at the airport.

honmani2 said:

Seems to me if you read the law it says that you can park for free on any gov't land; that is, parking lot even if it is managed by a vendor such as at the airport.

so that means we suppose able to park at diamond head crater, hanauma bay and pearl harbor for free then, anyone try those places?
i only tried waikiki parking at meter for a 5-6 hours with my temp plate and no ticket for it. never try any parking lot yet.

thanks everyone for submitting their experience

Hanauma bay is free, verified it myself. Poor lady had to get out of the car to look at the EV plates.

One of the other Hawaii users has posted a note in the Hawaii Leafs thread which has some disturbing news if I read it correctly. The city is now allowing AMPCO to charge for parking at the Alii Pl. Parking lot even though it is a City lot.

Is this correct?

dcboy said:
honmani2 said:

so that means we suppose able to park at diamond head crater, hanauma bay and pearl harbor for free then, anyone try those places?
i only tried waikiki parking at meter for a 5-6 hours with my temp plate and no ticket for it. never try any parking lot yet.

thanks everyone for submitting their experience

Federal facilities are exempt from Act 290 so I don't think you could park free a Pearl Harbor.

seswindale said:
One of the other Hawaii users has posted a note in the Hawaii Leafs thread which has some disturbing news if I read it correctly. The city is now allowing AMPCO to charge for parking at the Alii Pl. Parking lot even though it is a City lot.

Is this correct?

Yeah, I saw that post. If this is the case then I think someone (I'll do it) should take them to small claims court. Where is the Alii Pl. parking lot?

akohekohe said:
seswindale said:

Is this correct?

Yeah, I saw that post. If this is the case then I think someone (I'll do it) should take them to small claims court. Where is the Alii Pl. parking lot?

Yes, the City is allowing AMPCO to charge for parking at Alii Place. I was refused free parking there on 3/21/12, so I called Chris Terry, 768-3887, Branch Chief of C&C Property & Parking Management on 3/22/12. He said the free parking statute only applies to parking fees charged by a governmental entity, not to those charged by a private entity. He said Alii Place is owned by a private entity. Although the City requires AMPCO to charge City rates at Alii Place, the City does not collect the fees. I'm sure the Alii Place building is privately owned, but I don't know if the garage is.

Found out today that as of 6/27/12, free meter parking is limited and places such as the airport for no more than 24 hours. From the State's Electric vehicle website http://energy.hawaii.gov/programs/transportation-on-the-move/ev-ready-program" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

•Act 168 includes:
•The department of transportation may adopt rules pursuant to chapter 91, Hawaii Revised Statutes, for the registration of, and issuance of special license plates for, electric vehicles.
•An electric vehicle on which an electric vehicle license plate is affixed shall be exempt from payment of parking fees, including those collected through parking meters, charged by any state or county authority in this State, except that this exemption shall not apply:
•For more than two and one-half hours of metered parking, or the maximum amount of time the meter allows, whichever is longer; or To parking fees assessed in increments longer than one twenty-four-hour day, including weekly, monthly, or annual parking permits.
•An electric vehicle on which an electric vehicle license plate is affixed shall be exempt from high occupancy vehicle lane restrictions.
•For the purposes of this Act: Electric vehicle means : (1) A neighborhood electric vehicle; or ( 2 ) A vehicle, with four or more wheels, that draws propulsion energy from a battery with at least four kilowatt hours of energy storage capacity that can be recharged from an external source of electricity.
•This Act shall take effect upon its approval and shall be repealed on June 30, 2020.

What a setback to the EV industry! Sad legislators are more concerned about squeezing out a couple of dollars from the few EVs on the road over trying to promote clean transportation.

How about my Maui EV drivers... Whats your experience with this. Oh wait...we barely have garages. ;)

Hey all,

So I called the Airport today and they said that EV's can park free at the Airport for up to 30days still. Has anyone else parked at the airport recently and can confirm? I'm going on a trip in a week (for 6 days) and dont wanna end up with a huge parking bill to end the trip.

http://hawaii.gov/hnl/airport-parking" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I called the # at the bottom of this section for the Parking Office.

The law in Hawaii changed as of July 2012. Now metered parking is limited to 2.5 hours or length of the meter whichever is longer. For the airport, it supposed to be 24 hours free. However, on my list trip a few months ago, I parked for 3 days and was not charged for the parking. I just put my name, EV license number, and phone number on the parking stub. I received the parking info from Hawaii state Senator Mike Gabbard last year who was one of the sponsors/authors of the bill.

Back