Who travels less than 100 miles?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I live in Israel and for me to drive 160 km is already a huge tripe we have very small country and its never cold ;) all the regular sockets is 220v for us it can be the only car we need :) also because gas cars have 90% tax and electric 10% so the leaf cost the same as Mazda 3 :shock: !!!!!

I'm not sure when Nissan is bringing the Leaf to Israel, but you're definitely the prime target for Renault :)

KarenRei said:
I'm not sure when Nissan is bringing the Leaf to Israel, but you're definitely the prime target for Renault :)
I still like the leaf more. ;) Renault is not as good the battery pack is taking a lot of cargo space

:sigh: So hard to read all these "a 100 mile car will never work!" posts. Lots of good replies here. I especially like the one about needing more cargo room than a sedan has. What now?! Stop selling sedans!?

So yeah... my family has had an EV as our primary vehicle for better than ten years now. Over 90% of our automobile trips are in the EV. When we need to go further, we take the Prius. The Prius stays parked in the garage about 28 days out of each month. Obviously as an ONLY car, an EV is a tougher sell. But hey, let's go after the low-hanging fruit first - the millions of housholds with multiple cars. There are 10's of millions of gasoline cars that don't drive more than 100 miles. Let's replace those! MOST trips in the US are WAY below 100 miles. No, the LEAF isn't for everybody. Neither is any other vehicle ever made.

So the answer to, "Who travels less than 100 miles" is, "Most people."

Well said.

There is a reason we have a variety of cars on the market...choice. Can everybody do 100% of their driving if the only car for sale were Miatas? Nope. But lots of people own Miatas. They are fun cars and good commuter cars. Can you carpool 4 people in a Miata? Carry 10 bags of mulch from Home Depot? (not to pick on Miatas :) ).

People should look at their driving habits and driving needs...and their family situation. My wife has a Camry. Do I need a Camry then too. Nope. I can use a nice EV for 100 percent of my work needs. 100 percent of my shopping and traveling around town needs. And then I can use my wife's Camry on those 2 times a year trips out of state.

Does that work for everyone? Nope. But then neither does buying a 25k car. That is fine for me...for the wife...but my youngest daughter isn't going to get a LEAF. She's in college. She gets the 15k car (and that is hella better than I had in college... :) ).

We have variety of needs, of financial ability and of personal taste. All those will affect your choice on a car...at least as much as worries of range.

I will not once worry about range as I drive my LEAF. Why? Because I know where I'm headed each time I get into my car (well at least a rough estimate ;) ). I don't jump in a car and suddenly say, "Hey, I'm heading to Mexico"...Ok, I did that once and I've learned my lesson. ;)

I know when I need to travel over 100 miles. Those FEW times, I grab the better (much much better) half's car. Insanely Simple. Heck that could be the LEAF's catch phrase. :)

Gavin

Spot in, Gavin.

Why is it so much easier to find the faults than to find the benefits of anything "new?" Amazes me to hear people expecting EVs to be everything that gas cars are. I don't WANT an EV to be as bad as gas cars! Oil changes? Filters? Plugs? Exhaust? Driving to a filling station instead of filling up in my garage? No thanks.

Darrell, your site is great! I applaud you for driving with solar power all these years. That's our goal. Living in Tucson it is a great place for solar electric panels and we have a large flat roof on our garage. We have reserved a LEAF and hope to get the panels next year.

Are you thinking of getting a LEAF? Thanks for your website! I want your license plate frame. Did you have it made special?

Thanks for the nice words on the site, guys!

Azrich said:
Are you thinking of getting a LEAF? Thanks for your website! I want your license plate frame. Did you have it made special?
I have my reservation in. But honestly at this point, our 2002 Rav4EV still covers 90% of our car trips... and the Prius handles the rest. I can't really justify a new car... but that doesn't mean I don't want one!

Yes, I had the frames custom made.

The rav license frame:
find_the_tailpipe.jpg

The Prius frame:
060215_rear.jpg

:) took me quite a while to come up with just the right balance in the message. ;)

I think it plays best on a car that has a gasoline equivalent... like the Rav4. But it should work just fine on the Leaf as well. I grant you full permission to "steal" it! I'd be honored.

Back