Day 1 comments and questions

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ingineer said:
We have had only a few failures, and of those at least one was due to external factors. We replaced/repaired them all free of charge within a few days.

I can confidently say statistically our reliability is greater than 99.5% which is probably better than any other EVSE on the market right now. I don't have any hard figures for any units other than our own, but if you tally up the reported problems here on all of them we are WAY ahead!

I can't take all the credit for the reliability, most of it comes from how well Panasonic engineered and constructed the unit. They are almost bulletproof!

-Phil

Thanks for the information, Phil. That is reassuring. Nice work.

Tugrik said:
Most modern cars do the 'auto-lock' thing these days. My Transit Connect van does it. I do agree, though, that the 'pull inside handle while stopped = auto unlock' behavior should have been included on the Leaf. My passengers tend to try to leap out of the car the moment I slow down and get all frustrated that they have to dig for the unlock button or (gasp) wait 3 dang seconds for me to put it in park and shut off the car. :)

Our Prius did this, so I'm sure you're right that most cars now are auto-locking. In our case, we want the passenger to be able to get out of the car without turning off the car. We're getting old and forgetful and there's often that "wait, I forgot something" as we're pulling out of the garage. It's a minor complaint but I still want to turn off this "feature". :)

DoxyLover said:
bwilliams said:
I bought this orphan leaf on Saturday bypassing my likely very long wait for my 2012. I had qualified for the etec program and was told it would be installed this week! Then I got a call from ecototality (or whatever) saying I DO NOT QUALIFY! The dealer sales guy ASSURED me on Saturday that I would still qualify!! I don't qualify because this 2011 SL model does not have a quick charge port.

Got a call into the dealer and the sales guy has to speak with the manager to find out "what they can do".

Any suggestions welcome!
Sorry, but I think you are SOL. One of the base requirements for qualifying for the EVProject is a QC port. I have not heard of anyone getting a waver for that.

You probably have a better chance of getting some cash out of the dealer, and you know how unlikely that is! :(

SOL IMHO. Buy a level 2 charger and get it installed in your garage off of the house load center. About $700 for the charger and about 150 for an electrician to put in another breaker and run some conduit and wire. It's about a 2 hour job if the electrician wants to charge you $1000 or so. Got to shop around and caveat emptor.

bwilliams said:
In our case, we want the passenger to be able to get out of the car without turning off the car. We're getting old and forgetful and there's often that "wait, I forgot something" as we're pulling out of the garage. It's a minor complaint but I still want to turn off this "feature". :)
I hear you. We're getting old and forgetful, too. But the case you cite shouldn't be a problem. Our car doesn't lock the doors until we get some distance down the block. My guess has been that it is triggered at 15 or 20 mph, but I haven't checked that.

Ray

planet4ever said:
bwilliams said:
In our case, we want the passenger to be able to get out of the car without turning off the car. We're getting old and forgetful and there's often that "wait, I forgot something" as we're pulling out of the garage. It's a minor complaint but I still want to turn off this "feature". :)
I hear you. We're getting old and forgetful, too. But the case you cite shouldn't be a problem. Our car doesn't lock the doors until we get some distance down the block. My guess has been that it is triggered at 15 or 20 mph, but I haven't checked that.
Ray

15mph

planet4ever said:
bwilliams said:

Ray

Oh, ya, that's true! Well, I guess it was when we returned from a trip then, when my hubby was yanking on the handle wanting "out". See? Massive memory problems! Whatever it was we plan to turn that auto locking off.

Back