Was climate control designed by Apple?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrillbabyDrill

The climate control in the Leaf, when in manual mode, thinks it knows better than I do how to manually control the climate. Now perhaps I'm just more frustrated than the average driver since my other two cars are 11 years old and have mechanical levers that control all the settings. For example, sometimes the Leaf will turn the AC on for me when I adjust the recirculation/intake button. Why? I don't know. I don't care to know. Or, when I shut off the climate control, it will switch to outside air. Why? I don't want to be sucking fumes- so Leaf, please stop assuming you know how I want to manage my climate. If I want the AC on, I will put it on. If I want outside air on, I will put it on.

Does anyone know how to stop this automatic behavior? In case you didn't read my post carefully, I'm in manual mode, not auto.

DrillbabyDrill said:
The climate control in the Leaf, when in manual mode, thinks it knows better than I do how to manually control the climate. Now perhaps I'm just more frustrated than the average driver since my other two cars are 11 years old and have mechanical levers that control all the settings. For example, sometimes the Leaf will turn the AC on for me when I adjust the recirculation/intake button. Why? I don't know. I don't care to know. Or, when I shut off the climate control, it will switch to outside air. Why? I don't want to be sucking fumes- so Leaf, please stop assuming you know how I want to manage my climate. If I want the AC on, I will put it on. If I want outside air on, I will put it on.

Does anyone know how to stop this automatic behavior? In case you didn't read my post carefully, I'm in manual mode, not auto.

It is not all that intuitive but thumping buttons -- with frequent pushing of mode tab -- will get you various alternatives.

Alternatively, you can read the manual. NO, not that!
It is actually explained there. Holding down the recirculate button also helps create that as a default for many settings.

TomT said:
Except for the fact that actually does not work as advertised...

thankyouOB said:
It is actually explained there. Holding down the recirculate button also helps create that as a default for many settings.

There must be some button sequence that would unlock this feature :)

TomT said:
Except for the fact that actually does not work as advertised...

thankyouOB said:

Sorry to hear that. I have found repeatedly that holding it down, as discussed in the manual, sets the recirculate as a default.
That and engaging the MODE button, before hitting recirculate.

There are unexplained occasions where I have to reset that default, so it is not totally "sticky.".

Another example of the needless complication that has frustratingly become the UI of the 2011 Leaf. Think of it this way: It's a small price to pay to be an early adopter, no? ;)

The LEAF has an automatic climate control system. When you press one button manually it throws that particular function into manual mode. The AUTO light goes out because the system is no longer operating fully automatically. To achieve fully manual operation you would need to manually press the buttons for each function. It's not really that complicated. All Nissans with auto systems work like that, most other makes also.

The reason for automatically selecting fresh when turning the climate control off is the same reason why it happens when you select defrost. To prevent the windows from fogging. It is easily overridden.

OK- so the holding in the button to set the air intake to default doesn't work. Or at least, it doesn't set it so that when you turn on or off the climate control, it defaults to that position. The manual isn't really clear on what exactly it is supposed to do.

And where in the manual does it tell you how to get rid of the auto-AC on whenever you change something option? I couldn't find it. It does give really helpful tips like "If the A/C indicator light illuminates, push the
A/C button. The A/C indicator light will turn off." Gee thanks- why did it turn on in the first place?

kovalb said "To achieve fully manual operation you would need to manually press the buttons for each function. It's not really that complicated. " Hmm, well you're missing the point. The problem is not that I can't eventually get it to do what I want by mashing buttons, the problem is that it doesn't stay on the last setting, and the default is to put the AC on regardless of whether I'm defrosting, heating, or just want the blower on. The problem is that when I change the ONE setting I want MANUALLY, it also adjusts a different setting. I'm used to this for the defrost function, and that's annoying enough- but this is the case for all the functions. Is it just my car?

thankyouOB said "Alternatively, you can read the manual. NO, not that! It is actually explained there." Guess what? It's not actually explained there! At least, not in the climate control section. Is it explained in another section?

Don't use auto. When you want to cool with no AC turn on the fan and set the AC button to "off" and set the temp vey low and the heat is off. If you want AC set the desired temp and AC button "on". No heater, no problem. So dumb :roll:

DrillbabyDrill said:
Is it just my car?
No, it is not just your car.

Now that cooler weather is here, and the need for defogging is increasing, I am really ticked off and frustrated. I think it was designed by Microsoft - we know what is best for you, just do it our way.

My ten year old ICE allows me to blow fresh air on the windshield using just an Amp or two, but not the LEAF. :evil:

Other than climate control, I really enjoy the car. Climate control is a real loser. Sure glad I don't live where it gets really cold and frosty.

Bill

I have admit that I am starting to get along with the LEAF's CC. (Please
don't throw tomatoes! :eek: )

If I want a little heat I just punch AUTO, set the temp, and turn the AC off.
It seems to do a good job maintaining comfort. If the window fogs, I punch
the top defrost and maybe crank up the fan, and the window is clear in very
short order. The defogger is much more efficient than either of my ICE vehicles.
(I often get in the car with damp clothing.)

I do wish that there was a HEAT button, like the AC button, so that I could turn
off the heater when I just want ventilation though.

(A little bird told me that the LEAF runs a version of Windoz.)

Back