Los Angeles Metro Area Leafers

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm in Granada Hills 91344 and have a September reservation... I've qualified for the free EV Project charger according to the email I received.

Kataphn said:
I am in LA City, specifically Leimert Park and have reserved a blue SL though I would prefer green. I am interested in continued postings here by those in LA City. I have already started dealing with the DWP in preparation for getting the EVSE installed in our single family home (outside garage wall probably, no room in garage for cars). DWP and LA Building and Safety are sure not ready for this yet. Their information is non-existent at this point. I have gotten DWP to come to the house to make the drawing of where the TOU (time of use) meter would be installed by the electrical contractor. Application on DWP site for separate EV related meter is out of date and requires VIN number of vehicle and purchase date. I have told them verbally this won't work since I need to get the installation done prior to purchasing the car so that I can start charging it right away. Anyhow, I am interested in anyone else's experiences thus far.

Hi Los Angeles and LA County. I am in the city of San Gabriel. I wanted to share my AV home inspection and quote experience with you all. The more of us who demand a fair price the better!
AeroEnvironment or AV contracts it electricians to assess, give quotes and install the home charging stations. They sent an electrician to my home July 23rd. The electrician said that my install was "basic" and it would not be difficult. After inspecting my garage the electrician said it should be no more than the "$2,200" Nissan and AV are claiming the home charger costs (installation, wiring, etc).
The quote was supposed to take 2 to 3 days but in reality AeroEnvironment is taking close to two weeks (8 to 9 days) to return quotes. My friend who lives in Pasadena also got his quote from AV in 9 days. My friend's quote from AV was $2,340.
My quote from AeroEnvironment was $2,463. I believe that this quote is outrageous and that AV and/or its electricians are price gouging. The quote included the installation and wiring for a cost of $1,387. I had a professional licensed electrician come to my home August 5th to give me an estimate of installation and wiring of the home charging station. The electrician stated and drew up plans with a quote of $700! That is $763 LESS than the AV contracted electrician.
I called AV and they agreed that the price of their contracted electrician seems high. I asked about purchasing just the charging system. AV stated that I could do this although it would not have the warranty on installation or something. For the amount of money I am saving getting it installed by my own licensed electrician I can BUT another charging dock if something goes wrong. The electrician I had said that his work has a warranty of 5 years!

If I was not getting the charger and installation for free on the EV Project, I'd definitely just buy the charger and do it myself.

Tom

[/quote]

Hi Los Angeles and LA County. I am in the city of San Gabriel. I wanted to share my AV home inspection and quote experience with you all. The more of us who demand a fair price the better!
AeroEnvironment or AV contracts it electricians to assess, give quotes and install the home charging stations. They sent an electrician to my home July 23rd. The electrician said that my install was "basic" and it would not be difficult. After inspecting my garage the electrician said it should be no more than the "$2,200" Nissan and AV are claiming the home charger costs (installation, wiring, etc).
The quote was supposed to take 2 to 3 days but in reality AeroEnvironment is taking close to two weeks (8 to 9 days) to return quotes. My friend who lives in Pasadena also got his quote from AV in 9 days. My friend's quote from AV was $2,340.
My quote from AeroEnvironment was $2,463. I believe that this quote is outrageous and that AV and/or its electricians are price gouging. The quote included the installation and wiring for a cost of $1,387. I had a professional licensed electrician come to my home August 5th to give me an estimate of installation and wiring of the home charging station. The electrician stated and drew up plans with a quote of $700! That is $763 LESS than the AV contracted electrician.
I called AV and they agreed that the price of their contracted electrician seems high. I asked about purchasing just the charging system. AV stated that I could do this although it would not have the warranty on installation or something. For the amount of money I am saving getting it installed by my own licensed electrician I can BUT another charging dock if something goes wrong. The electrician I had said that his work has a warranty of 5 years![/quote]

In Santa Clarita as well. August order date...Had AeroVironment evaluation on July 12, still nothing back yet, seems to be a long time, should I call or email them? Hey Lettcco, have you talked with Valencia Nissan yet?

Hi LA area folks,
I continue to wait to hear from EV Project since I was told I was still in the running but they needed "more information" so I have not yet moved on the home assessment. But when I do, I will be sure to let you know what my experience is. Anyone have any dealings yet with DWP related to home assessment, etc.
I am in LA city, Leimert Park neighborhood.
I will be very glad to read any of your postings related to your LA area experience. If you could please also include in your posts who your utility company is.

Also are you tempted by Fontana Nissan's offer? Only 68 miles from them to my house.

Would be great if LA area posters could update their profiles to include "location" and put your city. That way, it is very easy to see the location of the poster while one is reading the posting and not having to scroll back.

I was very tempted and have already contacted them in fact. They got back to me immediately and I am on their list. I do have to say that I am waiting for the other shoe to drop as it simply seems to good to be true though...

Tom

Kataphn said:
Also are you tempted by Fontana Nissan's offer? Only 68 miles from them to my house.

hobbyguy said:
In Santa Clarita as well. August order date...Had AeroVironment evaluation on July 12, still nothing back yet, seems to be a long time, should I call or email them? Hey Lettcco, have you talked with Valencia Nissan yet?

I will call AV to ask them for your quote immediately. Nearly four weeks is sickening! They must really be getting ready to GOUGE you! Was your install that complicated?

What is Valencia Nissan offering to do for us? They are fairly near me so would also be a consideration...

Tom

hobbyguy said:

It still seems to me that the Fontana deal, if it actually turns out to be real, is the ticket. I'll drive out that far to pick it up and save $1,000... We should know a lot more in a couple of weeks or so!

Tom

hobbyguy said:
No pretty straight forward install. I will call them an see what's up. Valencia Nissan said MSRP, seems like they are looking forward to the Leaf.

Honestly, I don't know how they could afford to do that for free after giving $1,000 off msrp. I suspect that we'll see some back pedaling at some point...

Kataphn said:
Looks like now Fontana says they will deliver within 200 miles...no need to drive out there!

I have emailed Santa Monica Nissan and Downtown LA Nissan (both in the Los Angeles area) asking if they know of the Fontana Nissan offer and if they will be matching it. I will post what I hear from them.
Perhaps others of us can ask our local dealers the same.

On the subject of whether Fontana will back pedal....MWalsh had a good post in the dealer thread saying they would get sooooo much flak throughout cyberspace if they did renig. I tend to agree with that assessment. Would be very hard for a dealer to backpedal on offer once it has been posted in this forum.

This is a message for evnow who I believe is the moderator. I suggest changing the name of this thread to Los Angeles County Leafers or something like that since many who are posting are not just from LA City as the title of the thread says now but are from various parts of Los Angeles County

Thanks.

Heard back from Santa Monica Nissan related to my question about whether they would match Fontana Nissan price. They did not answer that question but said that they will provide good after purchase service and that is the reason to choose them. So I take that as a no from them....at least for now.

Kataphn said:
Heard back from Santa Monica Nissan related to my question about whether they would match Fontana Nissan price. They did not answer that question but said that they will provide good after purchase service and that is the reason to choose them. So I take that as a no from them....at least for now.

Dealer named Gina of Performance Nissan in the ciy of Duarte said they would match Fontana Nissan's price! Gina e-mailed me yesterday.

Apparently the word is spreading! One hopes that it is the beginning of a trend!

http://green.autoblog.com/2010/08/09/report-nissan-dealer-expected-to-sell-leaf-1-000-below-msrp/

I emailed jeff odle (valencia nissan internet sales manager) regarding price matching fontananissan, but he is skeptical about the offer and say will look in to it.

I talked to Danny from Fontananissan on the phone for 10 mins, and he explained to me the ordering process. There is no list or agreement to get into...just reply to nissan order request that you want fontananissan to give you the quote, and once you get the quote back (1000 off msrp should stand, if not you can pick someone else and then that will be end of fontananissan) you can then choose to accept. He sounded genuine in getting our business. Still right now the only thing I can do is wait for nissan's order request.

I had my AV assessment done in Aug 3, so I will give them a couple more days. Mine's a little complicated since I lived in a condo and the breaker box is upstairs away from the garage. I asked them to give me a quote on getting a secondary meter for the EV also.

Back