DIY seat heaters

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Electric4Me said:
I see. I'll let someone else do the research legwork then. I'm satisfied with my current switches for now. :D

Though the dash lighting would be nice. How were they wired in?

I'm guessing that you're installing (installed?) only the fronts?

Bill
I tapped the Dash lighting from the console (the P-R-N-D indicator).

Yes, I only installed the front ones.

Looks like the same switch from a Titan is only $21.34 brand-new online, whereas it's $66.43 for the Altima. (Same Part number!) Part number is 25500 for left and 25500+A for right. That's pretty scary!

I'll post a schematic later if anyone needs it.

-Phil

Ingineer said:
Looks like the same switch from a Titan is only $21.34 brand-new online, whereas it's $66.43 for the Altima. (Same Part number!) Part number is 25500 for left and 25500+A for right. That's pretty scary!
The parts might be different - it seems that similar parts between cars start with the same 5-6 digits, but then have another 5-6 digits after that...

Found this out by looking at suspension parts and finding that a lot of parts between the Altima, Versa and LEAF were the same, but upon closer inspection were not.

drees said:
The parts might be different - it seems that similar parts between cars start with the same 5-6 digits, but then have another 5-6 digits after that...

Found this out by looking at suspension parts and finding that a lot of parts between the Altima, Versa and LEAF were the same, but upon closer inspection were not.
Yes, I can believe this. But it appears they are identical according the pictures. Same markings, same dimensions. I'll bet you lunch they work perfectly in the Leaf!

-Phil

Ingineer said:

-Phil

I went to the dealership today to get a quote for a switch. I was quoted $30 (thirty something) for each switch. I'm going to just use the aftermarket kit supplied switch like Bill. It's not worth an extra $60 for these switches. I also went to a couple of junk yards and asked and none of them have any switches from any newer Nissan cars. They say newer cars are just getting rebuilt and sold as "salvaged" title instead of going to the scrap yard. Oh well.

On a side note, there was again 8 Leafs on the lot. Two 2012 and six 2011 models (two 11's were demo models). Marked as $500 below MSRP. So anybody who is looking for a car between here and the Mississippi river should be able to get it delivered for MSRP (about $500 to ship half way across country and about $1000 to the east coast in my experience). Nissan of Elk Grove

20111115-163755.jpg

20111115-163808.jpg

20111115-163819.jpg

http://www.nissanofelkgrove.com/new...san&SBmodel=LEAF&SBaccountid=nissanofelkgrove

A few comments:
Bill--great job being the pioneer here!! I would tap you for presenting at the January BayLEAFs meeting if you agree. And I was going to ask about bloody hand photos, but I saw them already at the link.

I can vouch that those are the switches for the Altima--our Altima Hybrid has 'em and they do illuminate when on and at night. Good find, Phil.

Please post the schematic--I'm definitely up for this upgrade as driving to/from work these days is getting pretty chilly and I hate to see the 1.5 - 3 kW that the heater uses while cruising.

I got the factory switches from here for $16 each + shipping:

http://www.factorynissanparts.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=getJointLocator&siteid=214081&chapter=&sectionids=0,2648&groupid=3396&subgroupid=64902&make=25&model=LEAF&year=2011&catalogid=2&displayCatalogid=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Haven't done the seat heater install yet. This thread will help a great deal. Thanks!

Elbows said:

http://www.factorynissanparts.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=getJointLocator&siteid=214081&chapter=&sectionids=0,2648&groupid=3396&subgroupid=64902&make=25&model=LEAF&year=2011&catalogid=2&displayCatalogid=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Haven't done the seat heater install yet. This thread will help a great deal. Thanks!

Nice find Elbows and welcome to the forum!

Here's the schematic I used with the Nissan switches:

pic

You can use any seat heater kit where the pads are rated for 12v. There are 2 pads, one for seat back, the other for lower seat, and when in low mode the switch will place them in series, whereas in high, they are in parallel.

-Phil

Elbows said:

Great site. They seem to have virtually all the components imaginable. About the only thing that's missing are battery modules.

1. Battery charger: $1,364.24
2. Battery heater elements: $147.68
3. Startup sound: $40.44
4. EGI wiring harness w/quick charge: $618.89
5. Front compartment wiring harness w/quick charge: $1,212.00
6. Quick charge port: $714.25
7. Heated steering wheel: $914.71

motor : $2054 - http://www.factorynissanparts.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=getJointLocator&siteid=214081&chapter=&sectionids=3,2413&groupid=2449&subgroupid=9184&make=25&model=LEAF&year=2011&catalogid=2&displayCatalogid=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Inverter : $3870 - http://www.factorynissanparts.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=getJointLocator&siteid=214081&chapter=&sectionids=3,2413&groupid=2449&subgroupid=13157&make=25&model=LEAF&year=2011&catalogid=2&displayCatalogid=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pretty good price for an 80kW AC system.

Did either of you guys post the actual name brand of the seat heaters?
This is really a great thread. I might need to take a day off of work to do the job :lol:

gascant said:
This is really a great thread. I might need to take a day off of work to do the job :lol:
The ones I got are the brand name "eBay special". :lol:
I posted the link in the first post.

Yes, mine were ebay as well. They seem to be all from the same Chinese manufacturer, some sort of carbon impregnated fabric. Looks reasonably well made, and gets warm quick on high.

-Phil

Electric4Me said:
gascant said:
ROFL !! OK, so does that kit include the backs?
I definitely want to do the buns and the back. Up and down 880 is getting to be a chilling experience. Oh wait, I don't want the anti-EV enthusiasts to see this. I just need the seat heaters for my guests from LA ;) Yeah, that's the ticket.

The eBay special looks a lot like the Besond seat heaters from Jilin Debang, an OEM supplier to VW and others. I wonder if this set would work too, it comes with some kind of "Nissan switch":

Click to open

gascant said:
Electric4Me said:
gascant said:
ROFL !! OK, so does that kit include the backs?
I definitely want to do the buns and the back. Up and down 880 is getting to be a chilling experience. Oh wait, I don't want the anti-EV enthusiasts to see this. I just need the seat heaters for my guests from LA ;) Yeah, that's the ticket.
I used my new heaters for the first time during the commute this morning (my wife has had the Leaf all week...). Even though I had the heater running in full auto mode, the warm buns were nice! :D It's amazing how much more heat you feel with cloth seats than with leather (at least comparing to my wife's Acura seats)! By the same token, I didn't feel much heat on my back, until I thought to lift the back of my sweatshirt up...then I realized it was insulating me from that heat as well as the cold... :)

Yes, the kits all seem to come with identical pairs of heating pads. As Phil mentioned, they use parallel vs. series wiring through the pair to adjust heat output.

surfingslovak said:
The eBay special looks a lot like the Besond seat heaters from Jiling Debang, an OEM supplier to VW and others. I wonder if this set would work too, it comes with some kind of "Nissan switch":

Click to open
That kit is similar, but not identical to the one I got. Be sure to get one that can be cut to any length for the greatest flexibility on the install. Mine came in 2 days from placing the order.

Back