DIY seat heaters

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got the pack of 100 Fully Insulated 0.110" Female Spade connectors in the mail.

On test fitting them to the OEM switch I find you must remove the blue plastic insulation and even then they just fit the column of 4 pins. To get heat shrink insulation to fit we must bend the four pins left, right, left right a little so they are angled from each other. You should be able to get the connectors at least half way down the pins before they hit each other near the bottom.

Even on the two pins for illumination you must remove the insulation and use just the metal pin with heat shrink tubing. You don't need to bend those pins as there is enought room to the outer plastic case.

Jim

Did anyone manage to find an OEM harness that works with the OEM switch?

I'm thinking I might go with the one with the variable switch as I've also had issues in the past where low was too low and high was too high... Is this a different model of heater than everyone else is using, and if so, does it still work ok in the LEAF? How does the power consumption differ between the two?

Electric4Me said:
shay said:
Lots of great information in this thread. What is the level of difficulty of installing the seat warmers? I am definitely wanting to install them.
I would call it low to medium.
Are you counting the "fear factor" involved with tearing apart a perfectly good center console? :lol:
Actually, one of the goals of doing this job en masse is that we come up with a set of instructions that others can follow later on. Having those definitely lowers the threshold for jumping in. For example, in my case, I have no idea how to disassemble the center console to run the wiring. My fear is that I would pull hard on something and crack off a tab that's critical for holding it in place. Job cost goes up having to replace that part. With instructions, though, no fear at all. Because Electric4Me has done the job already, he can provide guidance. The work is not difficult, but having good instructions is key. If you've seen us do the horn upgrade at our monthly SF BayLEAFs meetings, then I'm guessing you are probably prepared to take this one on as well.

I did run my hand very gingerly under the passenger side seat yesterday and found some potentially sharp edges in the seat pan. So I'm thinking that bandages will be a key "field consumable" for this job.

gascant said:
Electric4Me said:
shay said:
Lots of great information in this thread. What is the level of difficulty of installing the seat warmers? I am definitely wanting to install them.
I would call it low to medium.
Are you counting the "fear factor" involved with tearing apart a perfectly good center console? :lol:
Actually, one of the goals of doing this job en masse is that we come up with a set of instructions that others can follow later on. Having those definitely lowers the threshold for jumping in. For example, in my case, I have no idea how to disassemble the center console to run the wiring. My fear is that I would pull hard on something and crack off a tab that's critical for holding it in place. Job cost goes up having to replace that part. With instructions, though, no fear at all. Because Electric4Me has done the job already, he can provide guidance. The work is not difficult, but having good instructions is key. If you've seen us do the horn upgrade at our monthly SF BayLEAFs meetings, then I'm guessing you are probably prepared to take this one on as well.

I did run my hand very gingerly under the passenger side seat yesterday and found some potentially sharp edges in the seat pan. So I'm thinking that bandages will be a key "field consumable" for this job.

Then download the service manual for $20

lemketron said:
I'm thinking I might go with the one with the variable switch as I've also had issues in the past where low was too low and high was too high... Is this a different model of heater than everyone else is using, and if so, does it still work ok in the LEAF? How does the power consumption differ between the two?

+1.
I ordered one from e-bay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/heated-seat-2-seats-installed-single-dial-switch-seat-heater-car-cushion-/180757088725?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item2a15f649d5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I think heat pad is almost same 27±3W/each pad.

EVDRIVER said:
OK, that's done. I found the sections on Seat Removal and Center Console Disassembly. Any hints on where to look for Power? If I get guidance on the Power, I can perhaps put together (and print) a file of all the relevant pages ahead of time.
Did anyone get that "plastic tool" that is used to pry off the top of the console?

gascant said:
EVDRIVER said:
OK, that's done. I found the sections on Seat Removal and Center Console Disassembly. Any hints on where to look for Power? If I get guidance on the Power, I can perhaps put together (and print) a file of all the relevant pages ahead of time.
Did anyone get that "plastic tool" that is used to pry off the top of the console?
What do you mean about power? I tied into the fuse block. I'd be interested to hear what Phil did.

I did not buy a plastic tool, but got things apart with minimal evidence remaining.

Bill

Electric4Me said:
What do you mean about power? I tied into the fuse block. I'd be interested to hear what Phil did.

I did not buy a plastic tool, but got things apart with minimal evidence remaining.

Bill

I tied into the power for the cigarette lighter style power outlet. 20a fuse feeds only that, so it seemed adequate to power the 50w each seat heaters. As long as I don't have anything using the power outlet at the same time I should be ok.

arnolddeleon said:
Any thoughts on how to keep rear seat heaters from being left on? Dash mounted indicator light or switch?

arnold

Nissan's solution. Bad design compare to OP's solution but visible from driver and rear passengers.
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=6763&p=149154#p149154" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ht2 said:
lemketron said:
+1.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/heated-seat-2-seats-installed-single-dial-switch-seat-heater-car-cushion-/180757088725?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item2a15f649d5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Awesome, thanks!!
Anyone see any reason not to order this one (aside from a possibly longer delivery time)?
They're $80 for a pair, same price as the "hi/lo" ones.

ht2 said:
arnolddeleon said:
Any thoughts on how to keep rear seat heaters from being left on? Dash mounted indicator light or switch?

arnold

Nissan's solution. Bad design compare to OP's solution but visible from driver and rear passengers.
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=6763&p=149154#p149154" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sorry that I hadn't responded to this sooner.
When I want to confirm that the rear switches are off (after dropping the kids off at school) I can easily reach back and feel if the switches are rocked away from the off position. I can also look at my hand and see the red or green light illuminating it.

That said, if they were on they'd only be consuming 65W each max.

If you found an appropriate place to mount an LED in view of the driver you could wire it with a couple of diodes (and likely a resistor) to both switches. This would illuminate if either was turned on.

Bill

lemketron said:
ht2 said:
lemketron said:
+1.
Awesome, thanks!!
Anyone see any reason not to order this one (aside from a possibly longer delivery time)?
I can't speak to how the wiring would work because I haven't looked at it, but I can say that there are times that I toggle back and forth between Hi & Lo to be comfortable. A variable set sounds great.

Edit: at 54W these would be slightly cooler than the ones I installed.

lemketron said:
ht2 said:
lemketron said:
+1.
Awesome, thanks!!

I haven't received mine yet so I am guessing but switch is little bigger so we have to shave hole a little bit to fit.
I hope it's similar to this one.
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=6810&p=157538#p157538" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ht2 said:
I haven't received mine yet so I am guessing but switch is little bigger so we have to shave hole a little bit to fit.
I hope it's similar to this one.
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=6810&p=157538#p157538" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It sounds (from the ebay description) like this particular model has a thermostat (?), as though it maintains a particular temperature. If so, that might be better than an "always on" hi/low.

At 27 watts (+/- 3W), it appears to be within 10% of the hi/low version if I'm remembering correctly that they are 60 watts total per seat...?

I think I'm going to wait until the first (BayLeaf) install party so I can hopefully test out one of each before I decide. :)

I purchased the Wet Okole drivers heated seat cover. It comes with a clunky 3 level switch with cigarette plug. I ordered the OEM Nissan seat heater switch, and was going to use series/parallel to adjust intensity, but...

If I install the two heat pads (seat back and butt) in series, and if one fail, the whole thing turns off. However, if they are in parallel and one fails, will this overheat/overpower the other one?

Back