SDG&E asks for higher rates on customers who go solar

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EricH said:
I have more sympathy with grandfathering the existing PV investors somehow, and modifying the deal to provide sustainable, open subsidies to future adopters.

That's nice of you to recognize that, after your description on how SDGE had their game changed after investing in expensive hardware to generate and distribute electricity.

It doesn't seem that SDGE has proposed anything but a retroactive change to the game for solar current solar installs.

EricH said:
Then, after regulators screwed with the system around 2000, the utilities were stuck with a residential pricing structure that dumped the last decade of inflation and social costs on the highest users (Tiers 3-4-5).
SDG&E is already in the process of adjusting rates so that the baseline rate is no longer "subsidized" by tier 3-4 users (there is no tier 5 in SDG&E territory) from what I understand.

That said - I've always been OK with the subsidy as it gives people an incentive to stay out of the top 2 tiers and conserve electricity which is good for everyone. The 4-tier residential billing rate structure is pretty much a 2-tier system given the minimal difference in tiers 1-2 and 3-4. I wouldn't mind seeing a more consistent step between tiers.

But hey - if you want to make things fair, we should simply move to a billing system which charges you based on real-time market rates. Or at least make everyone move to a TOU rate which more accurately reflects the actual costs of delivering electricity to your house.

BTW - SDG&E is only obligated to hook up about 5% of their peak demand from net metered customers, or about 234MW of net metered generation. We're about half way there right now (103MW as of 7/1/2011). So SDG&E is going to get their chance regardless soon enough to modify net metered billing rates whether you like it or not - probably within 2-3 years at current rates of PV adoption.

Thought you folks might be interested in this SDG&E Power Purchace Agreement. Not surprising, SDG&E pays more for daytime peak power than semi-peak or off-peak power. Here is the link:

http://docs.cpuc.ca.gov/published/Comment_resolution/65072.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Take a look at the section titled "Consistent Application of Time of Delivery ("TOD") Factors". Here's a summary:

Summer:
- Peak cost factor - 1.6293
- Semi-Peak cost factor - 1.0400
- Off-Peak cost factor - 0.8833

Winter:
- Peak cost factor - 1.0790
- Semi-Peak cost factor - 1.0400
- Off-Peak cost factor - 0.7928

Private solar users provide SDG&E with power during the peak period and trade this power on a one-for-one basis for off-peak power. During the summer this trade benifits SDG&E by 84%, in the winter this advantage drops to 36%.

SDG&E is not taking this benifit into considertion when they want to punish private solar generation.

EricH said:
If you find anything in this situation that resembles "competition", we had wildly different economics texts.
Of course a PV system is competition. You can buy your electricity from an electric utility or you can get it from from your roof. That's the essence of competition. In this case a PV system limits the price SDG&E can charge. If it ups the charges too much then its customers will put in more PV systems. FWIW SDG&E was upfront about this. It spent quite a substantial percentage of its filing talking about the falling costs of solar and how those falling costs affected the willingness of customers to continue buying power from it.

You seem to think that just because SDG&E is a regulated monopolist that there isn't any competition. There is. Right now it would be PV systems or maybe PV systems and battery storage. In ten years it will probably be a PV system and a fuel cell. Actually for SDG&E the whole green business is something of a wash. It is being hurt by the government subsidies for PV systems. On the other hand it's getting a huge boost from government subsidies of EVs. On balance there doesn't seem to be any reason to break out the violins.

In the medium run electric utilities will probably go the way of wireline phone companies. They have huge investments in fixed assets designed for transmitting power from central power stations but, as technology makes local generation cost competitive, that distribution network ends up as just another unnecessary cost. Right now SDG&E is at the start of a death spiral. It stupidly thinks that it can impose interconnection fees as a way of partially making up for revenue losses as customers adopt lower cost solar alternatives. But technology is relentless and solar users will simply find ways of not interconnecting. As they drop off the system SDG&E will have to replace that lost revenue by raising rates for existing customers. But this will simply have the effect of making solar more attractive, and more customers will go solar. Repeat until no one cares about SDG&E any more.

EricH said:
Utilities are much more concerned about the entire Net Energy Metering subsidy, whereby a customer who places solar panels on their roof can avoid any responsibility for the overall utility system costs, by feeding power into the grid at noon (credited at on-peak retail rates, for solar owners on TOU rates), then sucking it back off the system during the afternoon/evening and night.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>
I'm far more sympathetic to people who invested in solar last year, concerned the existing economics of their decision will be materially impacted, than I am to folks not-yet committed to solar, who are alarmed that the free ride of Net Energy Metering may be curtailed before they can sign a contract.
My solar system, designed to avoid my SCE bill being pushed into higher electric tiers by the energy demands of my Leaf, has just passed its first "birthday." Despite this, I support almost everything EricH is saying. Some "reform" is required, but please understand I do not endorse SDG&E's specific proposals. In the coming world in which 5%, 10%, or even 15% of total grid energy is supplied by residential solar, finding what is "fair" to connected customers with solar, customers without solar, and the utilities won't be easy. In some cases, what might seem fair in the abstract might not be economically viable in the details.

As EricH has discussed, the two state-wide policies that need modification as the percentage of residential solar installations has grown are:
1. The "freezing" of Baseline tier-1 rates, forcing an excessive inflation of upper-tier rates, and
2. The requirement that no matter what tariff you are on, TOU or standard, the price you are credited for net production at any time of day or season must be exactly equal to the price you are billed for net consumption during that same point in time.

These two policies have awarded the highest incentives to "go solar" to the highest-tier consumers. Before I got my Leaf, my household was too frugal in electric usage to justify solar, because the low rates for Baseline and tier 2 gave me too slow a payback for solar production. Now, with both the Leaf and TOU metering, I have a strong incentive to increase my grid production, because it pushes me deeper into the Level 2 tier of SCE TOU, in which during the Summer I get $.30/kWh for delivery and $.30/kWh more for generation. SCE has stated that these prices have no connection with the reality of their costs.

I suggest that making the tiers less progressive (unfreezing of Baseline rates) would yield fairer overall incentives. This, together with lower prices for solar installation, could enable a broader fraction of the customer base to justify adding solar.

With respect to policy 2, some comments on this thread have expressed alarm at the possibility of being charged to send power back to the grid. I don't believe this is going to happen, but I could live with a slightly lower price for net generated power vs net consumed power during a particular TOU. The grid is performing a really wonderful service to solar customers. It is storing power for us not only between day and night cycles (with the night usage augmented by our Leafs charging), but across seasons. High credits we earn in the Summer can be redeemed in the Winter. This much storage is equivalent to 100s of thousands of $$ of Leaf battery technology.

The new principle that the utilities, led by SDG&E, are discussing in various forms is that there should be some price to be paid for both distribution and generation facilities that are still heavily used by solar-generating customers, but now used with more fluctuation. The solar power you consume immediately does not go through the meter, but I would think that most high-tier customers are moving more kWh to/from the grid with solar than without. Yes, the power we send back to the grid only goes a few yards before being consumed by one of our neighbors, but the neighbors can't rely on us to always be supplying that power, so there would seem to be negligible saving in utility infrastructure. None of my neighbors (or anyone else in my area that I know) is on TOU, so even if they are on tier 3 or 4, the rate they are paying SCE for my power is much less than my credit. It would seem the power we supply locally is more valuable in the abstract than in reality.

SDG&E seems to be also proposing a demand charge, based upon the maximum power drawn from the grid during the month. One review found a suggested demand price of $.95/kW (not kWh). Perhaps they are asking for a higher price. My TOU meter reports my maximum for each billing month. Right now it is showing 4.2 kW, so this would represent a debit of about $4 against my ongoing surplus credit. Since I am currently not billed for any demand charge, there were a few times this summer when I charged my Leaf at the same time as I ran the A/C, late in the day with little solar, pushing my maximum usage above 7 kW. I see nothing wrong with having an incentive to avoid such peaks, but perhaps this demand charge should be adjusted by TOU. Late night demand should not cost the same as peak-period demand.

During the Chief Vehicle Engineer meeting at Google, Nissan floated the idea of having the Leaf adjust its late-night charge rate to reflect the short-term availability of wind power. This would improve night-time grid efficiency at little infrastructure cost, and the savings could be shared between the Leaf owner and the utility.

PG&E has a clever, complicated TOU tariff that seems to work in their favor without violating principle 2. They have added a third TOU period, "near-peak" and their peak period runs from 1-7PM M-F. This splits one's solar production between peak and off-peak, and adds 6-7PM consumption to the peak period. They also have 5 tiers for TOU. All this makes it much harder to drive into high-priced negative territory for the big TOU solar payoff like I get with SCE.

As the grid evolves with more fluctuation from renewable sources there is a risk of "stranded investment" for both the utility and the connected solar customer. I suggest that enlightened policy can find a reasonable balance that minimizes this for all parties.

tbleakne said:
SDG&E seems to be also proposing a demand charge, based upon the maximum power drawn from the grid during the month. One review found a suggested demand price of $.95/kW (not kWh). Perhaps they are asking for a higher price. My TOU meter reports my maximum for each billing month. Right now it is showing 4.2 kW, so this would represent a debit of about $4 against my ongoing surplus credit. Since I am currently not billed for any demand charge, there were a few times this summer when I charged my Leaf at the same time as I ran the A/C, late in the day with little solar, pushing my maximum usage above 7 kW. I see nothing wrong with having an incentive to avoid such peaks, but perhaps this demand charge should be adjusted by TOU. Late night demand should not cost the same as peak-period demand.

PG&E has a clever, complicated TOU tariff that seems to work in their favor without violating principle 2. They have added a third TOU period, "near-peak" and their peak period runs from 1-7PM M-F. This splits one's solar production between peak and off-peak, and adds 6-7PM consumption to the peak period. They also have 5 tiers for TOU.
Great comment. In general, California utility TOU periods can vary since the goal is to reduce on-peak consumption -- SCE's peak period may be earlier in the day (A/C-driven) than PG&E's (home heat/light driven?), so the TOU periods would vary according to each area's load patterns.
Also, California rate design allocates by rate group, then by rate component; thus, a residential demand charge (as you cite SD&GE is considering) wouldn't collect more money from residential customers, it would reduce kWh charges by an offsetting amount (although not by a large amount, given the $0.95/kW price you mentioned). Overall residential revenue wouldn't change, but customer-by-customer, YMMV.
Finally, I don't think anyone likes 5-tiered TOU rates, so those are likely to be simplified/streamlined over the coming few years. At least I hope so...

tbleakne said:
SDG&E seems to be also proposing a demand charge, based upon the maximum power drawn from the grid during the month. One review found a suggested demand price of $.95/kW (not kWh). Perhaps they are asking for a higher price.
Not sure where you found that number, but it appears that SDG&E has identified rates quite a bit higher than that. I'm not quite sure exactly what each means, but in this document[1] they suggest a $5.42 / kW to provide "average distribution demand costs to provide service to residential customers" which somehow results in a $27.94 per average kW of demand per month "Network Use Charge" when applied on an average billing cycle basis[2].

tbleakne said:
Right now it is showing 4.2 kW, so this would represent a debit of about $4 against my ongoing surplus credit. Since I am currently not billed for any demand charge, there were a few times this summer when I charged my Leaf at the same time as I ran the A/C, late in the day with little solar, pushing my maximum usage above 7 kW.
Your $1/kW demand price is drastically low. The way the proposed Network Use Charge "would be calculated by adding the customer’s actual use of
the grid each hour and dividing by the total number of hours in a month"[3]. In other words, it's basically calculated by using your average grid utilization over a month.

So as a non-solar user, on a 30 day billing period, if you use 500 kWh (average 0.7kW the whole month - close to average usa for a household in California) you'll have a Network Use Charge of about ~$20. Add energy charges for your typical tiered rates and you might be charged $0.03/kWh for 317 kWh (tier 1), $0.06/kWh for 95 kWh (tier 2) and $0.21/kWh for 88 kWh (tier 3) for a total of ~$34 in energy charges and a total bill of $57 (there's a $3 administrative fee now in there)

Now you add solar and it generates 500 kWh over the whole month.

Best case scenario you use exactly what your PV system generates and eliminate your Network Use Charge. Good work! Now you only owe $3 instead of the $5.10 you owed under the old billing.

Worse case scenario you export all of your PV production and import all of your usage in which case you still incur the same Network Use Charge (~$20) but avoid the energy use, so now your bill is $23 instead of $5.

Real life will fall somewhere in between those numbers, but probably closer to the worst case unless you don't offset that much of your bill.

(Please someone check my calcs)

Small beans? Perhaps - but I know for me that it would have basically killed any economic incentive to install my system which was already marginal to begin with where I have a "break even" point of ~10 years.

And residential customers probably have it the best - it appears that schools and things like water-district installs will be hardest hit.

tbleakne said:
I see nothing wrong with having an incentive to avoid such peaks, but perhaps this demand charge should be adjusted by TOU. Late night demand should not cost the same as peak-period demand.
SDG&E has suggested that super-off-peak time periods (midnight to 5am) not be subjected to a Network Use Charge in the reference documents.

[1] http://sdge.com/sites/default/files/regulatory/Chapter%203%20Fang.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
[2] See page "CF - 7" of above document.
[3] http://sdge.com/sites/default/files/regulatory/Chapter%201%20Brill.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Page "TRB - 16"

See these links for more information:
http://energycenter.org/index.php/component/content/article/2902-xxx-draft-sdgae-proposes-new-rates-for-solar-customers-" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://sdge.com/node/1527" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.dra.ca.gov/DRA/energy/Customer+Rates/Electric+GRCs/sdge_2012.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"A state regulator on Wednesday rejected SDG&E's proposed network use charge, which would have added $20 to $30 to monthly bills of homeowners who use solar power."

http://www.nctimes.com/blogsnew/business/energy/energy-commissioner-rejects-sdg-e-rate-design-that-would-have/article_1d087879-548b-5987-940a-2195c8120580.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

gbarry42 said:
"A state regulator on Wednesday rejected SDG&E's proposed network use charge, which would have added $20 to $30 to monthly bills of homeowners who use solar power."

http://www.nctimes.com/blogsnew/business/energy/energy-commissioner-rejects-sdg-e-rate-design-that-would-have/article_1d087879-548b-5987-940a-2195c8120580.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Very cool!

GeekEV said:
Hmm... ...they say "the grid is acting as your battery" - how much would adding a battery backup to your solar system cost you?

Thankfully they did not get this passed.

As for a battery back up, AeroVironment is working on one, although not specific to solar, I do like the idea of charging at 120 to charge the car later at 240.
http://evsolutions.avinc.com/products/at_home/home_charging_appliance" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That is an interesting idea, and parallels the discussions about how to build a quick charger without incurring the demand charges. There's one little thing missing from the specs, though. How much does it hold?

If they are foresighted, they will also make a unit that's just the electronics, which you attach to the 10-year-old half-toasted EV battery you got back when you replaced the one in the car.

Boomer23 said:
gbarry42 said:

Very cool!

I can now stop wasting time finding a cost effective way to go off-grid!!!!

I can hardly wait for their next "idea".

This is great news! The PUC did the right thing. I see no way SDG&E could craft an alternate tariff which wouldn't single out solar producers.

The quote below isn't true. There's a minimum $0.17 per day, $62.05 per year charge to connect to the grid.

"Commissioner Ferron acknowledged the issue we are trying to address with our proposal is much broader than a single utility," said Lee Schavrien, senior vice president of finance, regulatory and legislative affairs for SDG&E, in a written statement. "The current net energy metering structure can easily result in many customers who have rooftop solar paying no bill at all, yet having access to all of the reliability, storage and access features of the grid. This is a situation that is not sustainable and requires a broad set of stakeholders to collaborate on a fair and effective solution."

ENIAC said:
This is great news! The PUC did the right thing. I see no way SDG&E could craft an alternate tariff which wouldn't single out solar producers.
Well, as long as SDG&E believes that solar customers are getting an unfair benefit from PV, they have to single out solar producers to do it. Reading the fine print and comparing the costs to what they normally charge, it could have been a lot worse.

ENIAC said:
The quote below isn't true. There's a minimum $0.17 per day, $62.05 per year charge to connect to the grid.
The best way to avoid this is to make sure you always draw a net $65.05 worth of energy from the grid - at current rates of ~$0.14 / kWh on the DR rate, that comes to approximately 464 kWh. Then you will still pay the $62.05 / year, but at least you'll be getting energy for it.

drees said:
The best way to avoid this is to make sure you always draw a net $65.05 worth of energy from the grid - at current rates of ~$0.14 / kWh on the DR rate, that comes to approximately 464 kWh. Then you will still pay the $62.05 / year, but at least you'll be getting energy for it.
I believe it resets monthly. So you couldn't bank any extra kWh for the month. You would need to use it all plus an additional $5 worth.

SDG&E just credited me with 3.6¢ per kWh for my year's excess generation.

Of course, my excess at Peak Times flows 100 or 200 feet to the next door neighbor, who is charged something like 33¢ per kWh for the same electrons.

And, SDG&E is complaining that they do not make enough money from me. They have the $5+ a month "minimum", and make money on the 4 (or more) months that I do not over-generate.

Like the post office, they might just raise their charges enough to force "everybody" to go solar. Then, if they do not adapt, they might actually have some difficulty controlling their grid.

SanDust said:
Any new or additional demand charge, standby charge, customer charge, minimum monthly charge, interconnection charge, or any other charge that would increase an eligible customer-generator’s costs beyond those of other customers who are not eligible customer-generators in the rate class to which the eligible customer-generator would otherwise be assigned if the customer did not own, lease, rent, or otherwise operate an eligible solar or wind electrical generating facility is contrary to the intent of this section, and shall not form a part of net energy metering contracts or tariffs.

Seems pretty clear that the proposed distribution fee is contrary to state law. No idea why SDG&E thinks this is OK.
This is the provision cited as most relevant by the Commissioner when denying SDG&E the right to proceed with its rate request based on the NUC. The Commissioner also cited the preceding sentence of section (g) which states that all chargers must be based on net kWh. That works but it would seem that the more determinative section would be section (b), which lays out that every kWh generated must be valued the same as every kWh consumed, precluding SDG&E's proposal that a kWh consumed should be valued by adding an interconnection fee and that an an exported kWh be valued by subtracting an interconnection fee. IOW (5+1) would not equal (5-1).

Note that SDG&E can appeal, presumably to the whole commission. That would be a good thing since its argument is so weak and the question would be answered once and for all. But I suspect that SDG&E, along with the other utilities, will decide to fight this fight some other time when perhaps the commission is more receptive. My guess is that it hoped to get into a rate case and then just confuse things so that this issue didn't rise to the forefront. With that hope gone all it's left with is a very stinko legal argument.

garygid said:
Like the post office, they might just raise their charges enough to force "everybody" to go solar. Then, if they do not adapt, they might actually have some difficulty controlling their grid.
Well, SDG&E did announce Tuesday that they have submitted 2 plans to buy solar power from them.

"SunRate" is similar to your typical green power plan where you pay a bit more to directly purchase solar power. You will have the option to offset 50%, 75% or 100% of your energy use with solar power at a fixed rate for 1-15 years. The fixed rate deal is pretty unique.

"Share the Sun" is a type of community solar program. Here you buy or lease shares in larger solar development projects and then your bill will be offset through a feed-in-tariff based on how much your portion of the project generates.

Read more: SDG&E proposes programs to bring solar to renters and cloudy houses

Anyone figure out where the "Green Button" is?

SDG&E launches new online monitoring features

SoCal and solar rates are an interesting parallel to my area (Brentwood, TN). Once a habitation is connected to the grid and an electric meter is installed, it cannot be "removed from the grid". Similar in the rules for personal water wells. Our water table here is so high that you can stick a straw in the ground and have water; Once connected to Brentwood Water you may not "disconnect" from public water supply. You can not use the public water but you still pay since the sewerage fees are tied to the water consumption rate. I'm not sure how they treat folks who have a septic system and a water well and are not, have never been, connected to the city utilities. They are probably skating by until the local law can figure something out.

Back