Wonder how the AC and brakes work while not moving????

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aneelam said:
I know someone who, on very hot (25+ C) days, runs her car air conditioner until the car becomes comfortably cool, then turns off the AC without turning off the fan or closing the vent. I think this is rediculous. I got to wondering, however, whether it would take more, less, or the same amount of energy just to run the air conditioner continuously than to turn it on and off while keeping the vents and fan going.
I'm certainly not going to disagree with Phil, who knows infinitely more than I on these matters, but I thought the answer would have been "the same". I assumed that is what the car does itself in Auto mode, i.e. cycle the refrigeration on and off as needed while keeping the fan running.

Ray

Actually, the AC compressor in the Leaf operates somewhat differently than many conventional cars. Its speed is varied by the controller based on demand. Thus, it doesn't cycle on and off per se, but just varies its speed when AC is needed, based on the load. When it is not needed at all or AC is off, it turns off completely, of course...
planet4ever said:
I'm certainly not going to disagree with Phil, who knows infinitely more than I on these matters, but I thought the answer would have been "the same". I assumed that is what the car does itself in Auto mode, i.e. cycle the refrigeration on and off as needed while keeping the fan running.
Ray

Back