BYD Operations in LA

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Somewhere I thought i ran across some other BYD Joint Venture that would do storage batteries for houses as well, just can't remember where.

A nice, clean battery-system add-in for existing grid-connected PV systems would be really nice.
Most seem to be very expensive controllers, without even considering the cost of the batteries or a real Battery Management System.

With most grid-connected PV systems, if the grid fails, the home loses all power, even when the PV system could be producing sufficient power.

You hit it, Gary. Grid-tied gives one benefits and limitations. One one hand, you don't have to buy and maintain a battery bank, and don't have to worry about running heavy loads. The down side is that the grid has to be up for the PV to work. Home Power magazine has a great system guide for emergency back-up power. This might be a great way to give used EV packs a second life!

Andy

in a few years, we will all be able to buy scaled down "bloom" boxes, which are fuel cells that can be run off natural gas, propany, methane, etc. This are grid tied as well, but they could have an option to separate from the grid interface and run with a local oscilator to supply the home during an outage. Your PV could then run off that as well..

http://www.engadget.com/2010/02/22/the-bloom-box-a-power-plant-for-the-home-video/

The grid connect/disconnect option is available now, just a bit more expensive. Noticably more expensive to add later.

See SunnyBoy and Sunnyisland, as I seem to remember from two years ago.

Back