Motor Controler Binary or Motor Controller downlaod log??

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheEvKid

Does anyone have a log representing the downloading of a stock file for the motor controller?

Or the binary image of the motor controller would even be better. Of course a CAN log reflecting themotor controller recieving torque command (0x1D4) without faulting out would also be helpful.

Thanks!

I am trying to solve that checksum calculation. Therefore if I had a binary image of the VCM, or the Invertor controller, I could reverse engineer it from the binary image. If I cannot find a binary image, the next best thing would be to create a repreduction of that image from a log of an actual downloading, or flashing of the the controller. The transmitting controller is the VCM, and thre receiving controller is the invertor, so a log of either would work.
This would take a little bit longer but it can produce a reproduction of the binary image the hard way.

I do not see a log reflecting this action in the site you suggested. Did I miss it?

I too would like to see a binary file from the VCM or motor controller. Has anyone managed to read it?

Nismo modifies the VCM in 2013+ Leafs for more power (supposedly) but they won't sell their VCM outside of Japan, period.

I have edited binary files in several thousand diesel/petrol car ECUs (for more power and better economy) and I'm very interested in taking a crack at it in an EV.

I'd be quite interested in seeing a VCM dump, as I'm fairly certain that the VCM contains the modification that Nissan did to remove the cruise control in the 2013-2014 LEAF S. The cruise control switch input pin is, of course, still there, but it has no effect when given the input signals for cruise operation. It'd be interesting to compare the VCM of the S model (23740-4ND0A) with one for the SL/SV model (23740-4ND1A).

If I weren't so afraid of messing up my Leaf - also my only car ;) - I'd be willing to crack mine open and start looking for flashable chips. Pretty sure that, since Nissan calls it the "CONTROL MODULE ASSY-POWER TRAIN", it's probably the box that controls whether or not you can screech the tires from a standstill :lol:

Has anyone had any luck with the following:

1. Obtaining a binary dump from any VCM? ANY Leaf VCM.

2. Figured out how to do checksum correction in a modified binary file?

3. What the difference is between Leaf S VCM and SV/SL VCM? Is it the charger or..?

Apparently the processor in the VCM is a Renesus R5F72531DKFPU. Will need to confirm once I look inside the VCM.

If anyone has a VCM for sale from a 2013+ Leaf, then please let me know. Several months ago, someone on this forum offered me his 2011 VCM for $50, but I think a 2013+ is preferable based on the possible fact that Nismo sells VCMs for 2013+ models only (totally different charger+inverter+motor setup than older models).

What do I have to do to adapt a different VCM to my Leaf? Just update the battery controller ID? Anything else? What tool(s) do I need to accomplish that?

Thanks in advance

Back