Now that we know L3 quick charge is an option

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

curtegg

Just to clear it up in mind, I pose the following naive questions I will be asking the Nissan dealership when I order. I do plan to get the L3 charger option.

Since the US has not decided on the L3 standard yet, how will this impact the installation of the L3 charge socket?
1) Is the line signaling compatible between the SAE and TEPCO? If not does this imply that the charging port on the car will be changed later?
2) If the line signaling the same, does this mean it is only a matter of the connector itself that changes and does not require a change to the L3 charger port?
3) Does the L3 charge option, guarantee that there will be no change out costs down the road if the standard changes from what Nissan installs?

Anyone else have answers or further questions along this line?

Thanks for any help.

curtegg said:
Just to clear it up in mind, I pose the following naive questions I will be asking the Nissan dealership when I order. I do plan to get the L3 charger option.

Since the US has not decided on the L3 standard yet, how will this impact the installation of the L3 charge socket?
The best answer I can contribute at this point is 'we don't know'. The TEPCO/CHAdeMO system is UL approved for use - that's a plus - and it's currently the only L3/DC fast charge standard available for the North American market - another plus. How the standards will shake-out if/when the SAE's J1772 committee finishes their connector is anyone's guess. We do know that there will be a vote and a selection for the N.A. market, though. Not likely until end of '10 at the earliest, though.

curtegg said:
1) Is the line signaling compatible between the SAE and TEPCO? If not does this imply that the charging port on the car will be changed later?
2) If the line signaling the same, does this mean it is only a matter of the connector itself that changes and does not require a change to the L3 charger port?
I don't personally know the specifics of either the SAE's (not yet complete) signaling system or the finished TEPCO system. However, there were comments made by participants of the last SAE J1772 meeting (Aug '10) that there are enough differences between the two systems that they're not easily compatible.

curtegg said:
3) Does the L3 charge option, guarantee that there will be no change out costs down the road if the standard changes from what Nissan installs?
I personally don't expect any guarantees at this point. It appears Nissan may provide either an installation or upgrade path for a few years once we have a North American standard, but we really don't anything about it other than a Nissan chat comment.

curtegg said:
Anyone else have answers or further questions along this line?

Thanks for any help.

Like many other aspects of this new car, we're going to be in a state of flux until, well, we're not. Hang on and enjoy the ride! :D

Andy is right.

With the QC option, we COULD be stuck with an "obsolete" charge port.

I am hoping it will be usable for at least a few years, and that the "transition", if any, will have some "adapter" or "upgrade" available to us.

But, no guaranties.

It is VERY unlikely that a dealer would have any answers to your questions, other than "I don't know". It will be UNUSUAL if a dealer even understands the questions. :)

To try to "roam", or stay at "home", ...
das ist de frage (spelling?).
(that is the question)

If dealers install the chargers with one plug and the standard changes then they would swap the cords on the chargers with some mods if needed since the chargers are expensive. If some old cars are not compatible i would hope for an adaptor or you would have frustrated customers and dealers who can't charge old cars at dealerships. I think we need a poll on who will get the L3 option..

My question is more basic:

Do I really need the L3 quick charge option?

I will be charging my car at home (overnight), and at work (8 hours).

If I want to drive further than 100 miles, then I might need quick charge capability,

but if there will soon be a network of DC supply stations, then I won't need the L3 Quick Charge option.

Can anyone tell me when and why I would use the option?

If it is only so that I can cut my charging time in half when I hook up to AC, then I really don't see a need for it.

Or, if I am missing something in this, please tell me what it is.

friendnumber1 said:
but if there will soon be a network of DC supply stations, then I won't need the L3 Quick Charge option.
You may have a misperception here. L3 IS the DC quick charge. Without the port, you cannot attach to the "DC supply station" as you put it.

So then, this option is just for an extra socket, and not the 6.6 Kw charging capability.

If so, then an extra $1,700.00 or so for this option is way whack.

I say $1,700 rather than $700 because none of the SL options are anything that I would want.

The extra "optional" socket is the only thing I would want.

You are correct, it is just for a socket. (well, all the high amperage wiring and control circuitry to the batteries, too).

If you were thinking SV, then it really adds up. :(

If there is a chance that the socket may need to be upgraded in the future at a cost of...

Oh, say about $1,700...

Then maybe it isn't worth it for the pv spoiler and rear-view cam.

Back