Report Your Gid Number at 100% Charge

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
12 months of ownership
9500 miles in Phoenix
100% charge with 6 hours cell balancing = 228 gids*

*actual scan was with a modified scan gauge which read 81.1%. If that means 81.1% of 281, then my number is 228.

bump..

Please also post average temperature (or location), when and how do you charge, how long the battery sits at 100% and your usual efficiency in miles/W-h.. plus any other details you have.

vegastar said:
Yesterday results:
80% charge 231 gids@386V
100% charge 270 gids@392V
Today:
80% charge 231 gids@386V
100% charge 279 gids@393V
Vegastar, thank you for reporting this. Couple additional questions, what was the approximate mileage at the time of the last reading? The last one you listed was 15,300. Also, what color is your vehicle? Any other details, such as average ambient temperature or the city where you live, would be great.

FairwoodRed said:
Gid count on full charge: 281
Miles on car: 15,500
Length of ownership: 9 months
100% charging frequency: every charge with no timers
FairwoodRed, thank you for reporting this. Please consider sharing additional details such as color of the vehicle, the city where the car is parked overnight, the number of turtles (if any), average energy economy, and a finally perhaps a newer reading as well.

Does anyone near Sunnyvale have a Gid meter they would be will to lend me for a few days so I can check and report on my battery capacity? If so, please PM me.

279 this morning which makes 276, 279 , 280 , 279. Now normally I dont fully charge and soc runs about 40-70% but SO is driving it and we save $5 a day in fuel and she wont take it unless its full but notice every time we do this it takes a few days to get back to 280. Last time it started at 274 , 278, then 280...not sure if it means anything but ya know..

surfingslovak said:
vegastar said:
Yesterday results:
80% charge 231 gids@386V
100% charge 270 gids@392V
Today:
80% charge 231 gids@386V
100% charge 279 gids@393V
Vegastar, thank you for reporting this. Couple additional questions, what was the approximate mileage at the time of the last reading? The last one you listed was 15,300. Also, what color is your vehicle? Any other details, such as average ambient temperature or the city where you live, would be great.

Yesterday I got 278 gids @ 393V. 24600km, black Leaf 10.5 months old. I live in Porto, in the north of Portugal. The garage where I charge stays at 16 degrees Celsius in Winter and at 22 degrees Celsius in the Summer. I think the weather here is similar to north California near the sea.

If anyone would be willing to make a Gid meter available for me to check my Leaf, I'd be happy to drive it to any location within range of downtown L.A., where I live, and I'd be very appreciative. If it's not feasible to charge and check it near your location, perhaps I could borrow the meter for a day?

Of course, I'd be happy to report the results here to share with the community.

Mine is a 2011 acquired 13 months ago, it has 8,800 miles and has never had a meter on it before. The Nissan dealer battery check was done a couple of weeks ago, and received the usual "5-star" rating, but of course we know there is no meaningful granularity to that. So, I'm just curious.

Thanks for any replies, PM or otherwise.

Tim

leafkabob said:
12 months of ownership
9500 miles in Phoenix
*actual scan was with a modified scan gauge which read 81.1%. If that means 81.1% of 281, then my number is 228.

Thanks leafkabob..

I think this is the worst degradation reported so far, do you always charge to 100%?

Herm said:
leafkabob said:
12 months of ownership
9500 miles in Phoenix

Thanks leafkabob..
I think this is the worst degradation reported so far, do you always charge to 100%?

No, it isn't the worst. All the ones that have lost a capacity bar are worse. He rarely charges to 100%.

LEAFfan said:
Herm said:
leafkabob said:
12 months of ownership
9500 miles in Phoenix

Thanks leafkabob..

No, it isn't the worst. All the ones that have lost a capacity bar are worse. He rarely charges to 100%.
I don't charge to 100% very often and I just lost the 12th bar this evening. When we started out I made a point of checking to see if I had all 12. On the way home I noticed I only had 11.

mckemie said:
I just charged to 100% after receiving my SOC meter a few ways ago. 256. Slightly alarming. Range has always seemed acceptable. We now have 14k miles and charged to 100% for the first 10-12k miles. Then, it dawned on me that 80% would suffice for most of our trips. We now charge to 100% only about once a week. Indicated range (trip distance plus SMRD reading) is 90-95 miles on a full charge. That makes maximum range (to turtle) 95-105 miles.

If the gid really represents energy in the battery, I am 10-12% low.

In late May, I find my SOC meter reading 242 on 100% and 204 on 80% charges. It looks like I failed to report gids for 80% when I first received my meter but it was around 212. We now have 15-16k on the odometer. I hope my readings continue to decline so I can get my battery fixed at no cost to me. I haven't yet discussed the problem with my dealer. I wonder at what point I should bring it up with the dealer?

anybody have a GIDmeter in NH or northeastern MA I could borrow? I'm holding out for a LEAFSCAN so I'm not building my own GIDmeter, but I am curious...

2012-05-31_06-55-56_345.jpg

this morning. scenario, drove 112.8 miles yesterday with 4 stints at L2 charging in anticipation of the launch of DCFCs here. well, the Northern half of the state got some, we got nothing. hence the L2 time. drove to Chehalis to pick up my Sears ext cord (very nice!! heavy duty 12 gauge with plug lock!) which is 72 miles RT with a useless stop in Centrailia to look at the "coming soon" sign... but that is another thread i guess.

home at 5:35 PM and plugged in immediately. charge completed at 12:48 AM

i am at 16,998 miles. so basically 17,000 miles and .4% degradation. i think i can find a way to live with that

mckemie said:
We now have 15-16k on the odometer. I hope my readings continue to decline so I can get my battery fixed at no cost to me. I haven't yet discussed the problem with my dealer. I wonder at what point I should bring it up with the dealer?

When you notice the car is not reaching full power acceleration and the battery has a good charge level.. keep an eye on the power bubbles!

Herm said:
mckemie said:
We now have 15-16k on the odometer. I hope my readings continue to decline so I can get my battery fixed at no cost to me. I haven't yet discussed the problem with my dealer. I wonder at what point I should bring it up with the dealer?

When you notice the car is not reaching full power acceleration and the battery has a good charge level.. keep an eye on the power bubbles!
If your annual battery check was due soon, that might be a good opportunity to mention it. Gids have some correlation to battery degradation, but we don't know what exactly it is. It's nearly certain however that it's not a 1:1 relationship. There seems to be a degree of seasonality, and the numbers should creep up again as the weather gets colder. I've noticed that you switched to 80% charging most of the time, this should be good for battery longevity.

mckemie said:
I just charged to 100% after receiving my SOC meter a few ways ago. 256. Slightly alarming. Range has always seemed acceptable. We now have 14k miles and charged to 100% for the first 10-12k miles. Then, it dawned on me that 80% would suffice for most of our trips. We now charge to 100% only about once a week. Indicated range (trip distance plus SMRD reading) is 90-95 miles on a full charge. That makes maximum range (to turtle) 95-105 miles.

If the gid really represents energy in the battery, I am 10-12% low.

This morning, 6/14/12, a full charge gave me only 242 gids. About 86% of "full". 80% charges have recently been giving me ~204 gids. Today's full charge indicates only 106 miles on the SMRD; I would normally expect to see 115-125 miles on the SMRD after a full charge. The crappy "bar" display still shows 12 bars.

I'll probably get it to the dealer in the next couple of months and see what they say about battery condition.

Will be nice to have more reference from TX but only 2 reports from people that have car for 1 year or longer and both of them low GID number about 240 at 100% charge. Hopefully more people will start to measure so we will know what is real situation in TX

surfingslovak said:
There seems to be a degree of seasonality, and the numbers should creep up again as the weather gets colder. I've noticed that you switched to 80% charging most of the time, this should be good for battery longevity.

I'm guessing that you aren't talking about the Phoenix LEAFs. There is no degree of seasonality here. When someone loses a capacity bar, it's gone. I find it highly unlikely that it will come back in the fall/winter. And my BCM which is based on the 281 raw number is very accurate in predicting capacity loss. Right now, I just lost another 2% which puts me at a 11% loss. I had 86% after a 100% L2 charge, now it's 84%.

My wife swears that my 12'th capacity bar turned back on for her for about 10 minutes about a week after losing it. Also, I did see an increase in capacity last fall so there does appear to be a seasonal effect. However, I agree that noone's battery is going to repair itself.

Back