Those Three blue LEDs on the dashboard ...

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It would be great if you could send messages using Morse code on the LEDs. SOS and stuff, like when you're taken hostage and have access to carwings and the iPhone.

cracovian said:
It would be great if you could send messages using Morse code on the LEDs. SOS and stuff, like when you're taken hostage and have access to carwings and the iPhone.

And that would be perfect for North America since you could transmit in 3 languages simultaneously (English, Spanish and French) !

craig34220 said:
Hello, another newbie here
What does it mean when: (from the driver's seat)
#1 flashing
#2 solid
#3 off
Please see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwFfI0kU9C4 (it's unchanged from '14 to '15).

Please also see pages CH-28 to CH-31 in your '14 Leaf manual. You can d/l a PDF from https://owners.nissanusa.com/nowners/navigation/manualsGuide.

Many thanks to Nubu for the very clear explanation of the three lights. As it happens, being a new Leaf owner (an underused 2013), I didn't know what the heck was happening when on two or three occasions I happened to be in the vicinity of the car and the third light suddenly came on for no apparent reason. The manual was of no help to me for that particular event (it's not listed in the chart, is it?).

But now I know. Nothing to worry about; just one battery helping out another.

Thanks again, Nubu.

orsonwellz said:
Many thanks to Nubu for the very clear explanation of the three lights. As it happens, being a new Leaf owner (an underused 2013), I didn't know what the heck was happening when on two or three occasions I happened to be in the vicinity of the car and the third light suddenly came on for no apparent reason. The manual was of no help to me for that particular event (it's not listed in the chart, is it?).
It's in the manual. See page CH-35 of https://owners.nissanusa.com/content/techpub/ManualsAndGuides/NissanLEAF/2013/2013-NissanLEAF-owner-manual.pdf.

Owners' manuals have gotten out of hand. I try to download the PDF of one before picking up a new car, but the Leaf manual is so damned long - especially if you make the mistake of trying to read the infotainment and child safety device sections as well in one go...

I've had a 2022 Leaf SV for a few days now. I'm trickle charging at 110 v, and it seemed to work normally the first couple nights. Now I'm plugging it in and the 3 indicator lights are flashing in unison every second (with a matching click from the adapter). I don't see anything in the manual about that.

12/22 To update, I suspected the EVSE didn't like the long extension cord I was using in the garage (I share the garage with the other tenants, whose parking spot is closer to the plug). I extended the Nissan-supplied cable as far towards the plug as possible -- about nine feet away -- and bought as short a cord as possible, one meant for a window AC unit, so high current. The charging seems to work normally now. I realize using an extension cord at all is not recommended. Neither is using a plug that's not completely dedicated. And somehow the EVSE can tell when you stray too far from a perfect connection and makes the car do that 3-light unison flashing thing.

You have a timer set to charge at certain times- unless you re within those times it will do this sequenced blue light thing. Each model is different but either turn the timer off or bypass it with a Charge Now button which on the S+ is right beside the Open Charge Door button.

sakumar said:
So it seems that the primary intent of the LEDs is a status indicator when you are leaving the car, not when you are getting back in.
I'm not sure that is the case, although I most definitely find the lights most useful as a way to confirm that charging has started. We have had multiple instances away from home when we forgot to disable the timer and then noticed that charging had not started.

We have had multiple instances away from home when we forgot to disable the timer and then noticed that charging had not started.

Yup- come back later to find that the car is at exactly where you left it! The blue lights do help, and a deep sort of clunk sound helps also.....

2/22 To update, I suspected the EVSE didn't like the long extension cord I was using in the garage (I share the garage with the other tenants, whose parking spot is closer to the plug). I extended the Nissan-supplied cable as far towards the plug as possible -- about nine feet away -- and bought as short a cord as possible, one meant for a window AC unit, so high current. The charging seems to work normally now. I realize using an extension cord at all is not recommended. Neither is using a plug that's not completely dedicated. And somehow the EVSE can tell when you stray too far from a perfect connection and makes the car do that 3-light unison flashing thing.

I suggest that you check for a timer program anyway. It's also possible that you happened to try again with the appliance extension cord while you were once again within the timer program's On window. Quite possibly not - it's just worth ruling out.

CSObassman said:
I'm trickle charging at 110 v,
It's actually been 120V in the USA for decades.

And somehow the EVSE can tell when you stray too far from a perfect connection and makes the car do that 3-light unison flashing thing.
I believe it would be the On Board Charger that detects the problem, and it would detect the incoming mains voltage sagging too low when it draws the current that the EVSE says it's allowed to draw.

Perhaps you really are in a low voltage area, closer to 110V, so then adding the sag from the longer, thinner extension cord was just too much.

Back