Low tire pressure warning

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HighDesertDriver said:
No warnings on ours. All pressures 31 to 32. Assuming our's were properly services at delivery, a loss of 5psi in 5 weeks seems excessive. Anyone else have the same experience? Thanks!
All four tires lost the same amount? Not likely. More likely they were improperly inflated at the dealer. Proabably done by some flunky who either didn't bother to find out what the correct pressure was, or who believed a bad gauge...like the ones integrated into the nozzle.

Before I drove my LEAF away, I asked the dealer to put 41# in each tire and they did. That's five over the LEAF recommended pressure, but a guy with over 30 years of tire experience said up to five over is safe. Beyond that, you can lose handling and the tires will wear more in the middle. I asked him specifically about the LEAF's LRR tires.

Yep, four or five over should be good and optimum in all respects.

LEAFfan said:
Before I drove my LEAF away, I asked the dealer to put 41# in each tire and they did. That's five over the LEAF recommended pressure, but a guy with over 30 years of tire experience said up to five over is safe. Beyond that, you can lose handling and the tires will wear more in the middle. I asked him specifically about the LEAF's LRR tires.

HighDesertDriver said:
No warnings on ours. All pressures 31 to 32. Assuming our's were properly services at delivery, a loss of 5psi in 5 weeks seems excessive. Anyone else have the same experience? Thanks!
The low pressure warning is activated at 28 psi.

I keep my tires at 44 psi and after about 2 weeks I notice they usually read just above 42 psi. 5 psi over 5 weeks sounds very normal to me and as long as all tires are the same I would say there is no issue.

LEAFfan said:

Has anyone measured the pressure rise due to increased temperature from driving a LEAF? I know these tires have low rolling resistance and should run cooler and with colder temperatures coming with the winter season I expect to be adding more air to the tires to keep them at pressure.

DarkStar said:
HighDesertDriver said:
The low pressure warning is activated at 28 psi.
I keep my tires at 44 psi and after about 2 weeks I notice they usually read just above 42 psi. 5 psi over 5 weeks sounds very normal to me and as long as all tires are the same I would say there is no issue.
I wasn't expecting the warning, but have never experienced such a fast loss before. Thought it might be something peculiar to low rolling resistance tires, or more likely as davewill suggests, underinflation on day one. I guess we'll just have to watch and see. . .

I check mine every month and they are about 2 pounds under the 41 every time.

sent with speech to text from my android phone

Volusiano said:
I'm pretty sure none of my tires dropped to 28 psi when my warning light came on. The lowest one was 33 psi.

I use one of those round analog tire pressure gauge that's supposed to be pretty accurate. I must admit that I measured and refilled them right after a trip and didn't give them a chance to cool down first. But even after they cooled down, I remeasured the pressure and they were still at the recommended pressure of 36 psi.

I would like to hear from others who've had their warning light come on to see what low pressure level their tires reached.

I had the low pressure warning a few days ago at one of our local meetups and used tbleakne's digital pressure meter to check the lowest looking tire. The problem is my memory. I can't digitally recall the reading. :lol: I think it was about 31. I took the car to one of these gas station places, you know, where they sell the petroleum products, ( :roll: ) and talked the cashier into turning on the $1 air pump for free. The tires were all in the low 30s. I pumped them all up to the high 30s and everything was good.

The tire pressure warning came on a couple days ago on my Leaf, and I just today got a chance to work on it. (First time I'd ever been to a gas station in my Leaf.)

It looked like all tires were right around 30. The tires said 40 MAX, so I filled them all to 35-36. The light did *not* go off. I had to get somewhere, so didn't put more air in, but will try that later today. Strange though that the light's still on?

TomT said:
Actually, it has been discussed before in other threads on here...

I suspect that all you have gained by going to 45 pounds is a slight loss of traction (mostly in braking, somewhat less so in cornering) and a harder ride. Anecdotal evidence indicates that the difference in rolling resistance between 40 and 45 is barely measurable...

What really bother me though, is those people who think it is perfectly acceptable to go way beyond the maximum tire pressure listed on the sidewall. That is simply dangerous.

I have over 1 million miles on various 32 & 44psi tires inflated to 50-60psi on all my vehicles.

In the last 17 years I have had 0 blowouts on my vehicle (not including trailers or other peoples cars)
and 1 accident when I was moving below 5mph and had the rear brake lines burst, luckily no damage there.
I did have a 15 year old set of desert dog tires fail on my suburban once but they didn't blow, a portion of the tread came loose and I limped into town, those were 30k miles cheap tires and had over 100k on the clock at that point.

The key to living with high pressure is
1. Adjust pressure if you are approaching REALLY BAD roads or REALLY bad conditions.
2. Drive 55mph or lower
3. Pay attention to the road/obstacles and other people.
4. Accept that you may need to replace suspension components more often (not really any different than the wheel hugger ultra thin deuchbag tires)

Racers typically run 70psi+ pressures, handling is generally improved by higher pressures to about 50psi assuming your suspension is decent and not failing. Dry pavement traction is usually improved, wet may be improved as well because of the reduction of the likely hood of hydroplaning.

My antique EV has 60psi rated tires and I would never run them at any other pressure (maybe 70psi if I don't feel like filling as often)

Am I taking a risk? Yes!
Do I care? Nope... I rather get 50mpg with a 37mpg rated cobalt.

DLISF89 said:
The tire pressure warning came on a couple days ago on my Leaf, and I just today got a chance to work on it. (First time I'd ever been to a gas station in my Leaf.)
It looked like all tires were right around 30. The tires said 40 MAX, so I filled them all to 35-36. The light did *not* go off. I had to get somewhere, so didn't put more air in, but will try that later today. Strange though that the light's still on?

If you have the stock tires, they should read '44' max, not 40. Also, it takes a few miles for your tire pressure light to go out. The minimum pressure according to the car manufacturer is 36. You may get better wear though if you take it to 41.

Hmm, don't know why, but the tires I got with my Leaf do say 40 Max, not 44. But yes, the light did go out the next day. And ok, I think I'll up the pressure a bit more. Thanks!

LEAFfan said:
DLISF89 said:

If you have the stock tires, they should read '44' max, not 40. Also, it takes a few miles for your tire pressure light to go out. The minimum pressure according to the car manufacturer is 36. You may get better wear though if you take it to 41.

DLISF89 said:
Hmm, don't know why, but the tires I got with my Leaf do say 40 Max, not 44. But yes, the light did go out the next day. And ok, I think I'll up the pressure a bit more. Thanks!
Which model of tire do you have? The Ecopia EP422 tires are labeled with a maximum sidewall pressure of 44 PSI, unless Bridgestone decided to change something mid-model.

davewill said:
HighDesertDriver said:
All four tires lost the same amount? Not likely. More likely they were improperly inflated at the dealer. Proabably done by some flunky who either didn't bother to find out what the correct pressure was, or who believed a bad gauge...like the ones integrated into the nozzle.

I too had the warning light come on. What seems strange though is that the little warning triangle also came on. So two warnings for one problem?

But when I checked, every tire was exactly at 30 psi. This was done with a mechanical guage, which in my opinion is at least as accurate as a digital one, maybe better than a cheap digital one. In fact, since I too had the car for just about six weeks, I thought the warning might have been just some preset mileage interval for a reminder to check tire air pressure.

With the Prius, they inflate the front tires 2psi more than the rear ones. So I put 40 psi in the back and 42 psi in the front. I don't know if the Leaf should have all four equal though. If so, I'll put 2psi more in the back ones.

The Prius has a higher percentage of weight on the front wheels. The Leaf is better balanced and thus uses equal pressures all around. 40 PSI cold is a good working number to use. Don't exceed the tire sidewall maximum pressure of 44 regardless.

sub3marathonman said:
With the Prius, they inflate the front tires 2psi more than the rear ones.

kentklineman2014 said:
leafspy gave me low tire pressure warning tonight...31, 32, 32, 33...is 36 recommended?
The Nissan recommended cold tire pressures should be on the sticker on the driver's side area. IIRC, the consensus is that the recommendations are too low.

Back