Extra Battery, How to Integrate with 24kWh Traction Battery?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, not the most efficient, but this is technology available NOW:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=133198#p133198" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I am able to go longer ranges by plugging in my 3.3 kWh LeFePO4 battery pack in the back and charge while I am stopped at work or lunch to recharge the main battery. I simply convert the battery to 120 VAC and use the Nissan L1 charger supplied with the Leaf. I gain 1 to 2 bars on the SOC graph by setting the charge time on the battery pak to 3 or 4 hours. It is a great feeling to not worry about being stranded since I know I have spare power in the back. No range anexity."

TonyWilliams said:
Ok, not the most efficient, but this is technology available NOW:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=133198#p133198" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I am able to go longer ranges by plugging in my 3.3 kWh LeFePO4 battery pack in the back and charge while I am stopped at work or lunch to recharge the main battery. I simply convert the battery to 120 VAC and use the Nissan L1 charger supplied with the Leaf. I gain 1 to 2 bars on the SOC graph by setting the charge time on the battery pak to 3 or 4 hours. It is a great feeling to not worry about being stranded since I know I have spare power in the back. No range anexity."
Great idea! Create your own "opportunity charging". Of course, using a 240 V inverter capable of 3.8 kW would be even better.

It would be far more efficient and faster to send 240V DC to the Nissan Modified EVSE and to the L2 port for full charge speed. I think this will work and I will validate it and get back to you.

EVDRIVER said:
It would be far more efficient and faster to send 240V DC to the Nissan Modified EVSE and to the L2 port for full charge speed. I think this will work and I will validate it and get back to you.
Looking forward to that.

EVDRIVER said:
Links on the type of battery and how to on making the connection would be great too, but I know I ask too much.

EVDRIVER said:
I didn't realize that the Panasonic modified EVSE by Phil can take 240V DC input beside AC. That's pretty cool.

Has any actually tried putting DC into the onboard charger yet?
Does it work?

Volusiano said:
EVDRIVER said:
I didn't realize that the Panasonic modified EVSE by Phil can take 240V DC input beside AC. That's pretty cool.

In one of the threads discussing Phil's (aka Ingineer) turbine powered range extender, I believe he indicated that he could tap directly into a harness (and even included pictures) between the battery and the powertrain and the LEAFs computers were smart enough to handle it as long as you didn't go over 30kW extra power. I'd find the reference for you, but I'm mobile right now. I could be remembering wrong, or misinterpreting, so do your own research first!!!

yes, you could do that, but you have to work with dangerously high voltage, it would require expensive electronics, and would probably void your warranty.
We wouldn't have to open or cut anything (except an EVSE that has already been opened) to see if the J1772 port can accept 240VDC.

jclemens said:
yes, you could do that, but you have to work with dangerously high voltage, it would require expensive electronics, and would probably void your warranty.
We wouldn't have to open or cut anything (except an EVSE that has already been opened) to see if the J1772 port can accept 240VDC.

Yes, that was my point on that note.

So... any word on what happens if you put 100-240VDC into the Leaf's on board charger?

I heard somewhere that there is/could be yet another relay on the AC side that is only rated for AC, and putting DC into it may weld the contacts shut if it needed to shut down suddenly, also putting DC into it may stress half of the bridge rectifier that normally gets a 50% duty cycle with AC.

EVDRIVER said:
jclemens said:

Yes, that was my point on that note.

All joking aside, you are better buying another EV like a Tesla. This topic has been hashed out so many times here, it takes considerable skill to do this properly and safely, it creates cascading upgrades on the car, and you will spend weeks of full days designing and building this project unless you have done this several times before and you have advanced EV engineering skills. Then you end up with an add on solution that is not optimal. Anyone that thinks this is not that difficult and VERY time consuming to do properly has never built a proper, well-engineered traction pack. All this and a solution for a little more range and a lot of grief. For those that are sure it is a good idea please come back and post when you are finished and please be honest and let us know how many hours it took and the TOTAL cost involved. Don't forget to add in the countless hours of emails to others for help, planning, testing, fiddling, ordering online, repeated trips to supply stores, etc, etc.

I wasn't thinking of charging while driving, an extra pack would just be for charging while in a parking lot, away from other sources to plug in.
My only question is if DC will damage the onboard charger in anyway (I'm not talking about the EVSE)

Ingineer said:
jclemens said:
So... any word on what happens if you put 100-240VDC into the Leaf's on board charger?
This matters not, as the interlock prevents the Leaf from driving while the OBC (On-Board Charger) is in use.

-Phil

Ingineer said:
EVDrive said:
I'm still interested in adding battery capacity to my leaf. Anyone come up with a viable avenue yet?
I've proven this can be done safely and reliably, but it's not cheap or easy!

-Phil

Well it is good to know it can be done. I'll remain patiently awaiting for a company to have a product over the next year, and if nothing comes together in volume, I'll give in and go model s.

Hopefully Nissan will offer more dense cells in the near future so I can use my current ones for PV storage and just buy a whole new pack.

I'm leaning heavily toward ordering an 85Kw myself...

EVDrive said:
Well it is good to know it can be done. I'll remain patiently awaiting for a company to have a product over the next year, and if nothing comes together in volume, I'll give in and go model s.

highcountryrider said:
Ah, that would work as long as you could convince the LEAF to move while charging. I don't know what that might take.
It's called, "regen" . . . it happens all the time, every day in a Leaf.
;)

EVDrive said:

The Enginer range extenders have been available for years. The 4KWH system and 8KWH system cost $3495 and $5495 respectively. They extend Leaf's range for 20 miles and 40 miles.

Back