Report Your Gid Number at 100% Charge

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just measured my coworker's car. Gary's meter indicated 227 Gids and 388.5V on an 80% charge. The vehicle is about a year old, and is at or around 18K miles. It's parked near ZIP code 94536 (SF Bay Area) overnight, and sits at 80% charge for a significant part of the day. The owner is a light-footed driver.

surfingslovak said:
Just measured my coworker's car. Gary's meter indicated 277 Gids and 388.5V on an 80% charge. The vehicle is about a year old, and is at or around 18K miles. It's parked near ZIP code 94536 (SF Bay Area) overnight, and sits at 80% charge for a significant part of the day. The owner is a light-footed driver.
is this new record for 80% ? something is not right, are you sure meter is working right I thought max at 80% is 231. Maybe 227?
IMO perfect temp for Leaf

Ingineer said:
277 seems impossible. That's what a lot of people get here for a full charge.

-Phil
Corrected, sorry! It was a typo, and the actual value was 227 Gids, as you perhaps might have guessed. The implied capacity loss is about 2%. I should have mentioned that, but I didn't, since it's not entirely accurate to base degradation estimates on a single Gid reading. Been trying to shake a flu for a week, and I guess it shows. :-(

George, I am sure that you will be fine with weekend rest. Perfect weather for Leaf. Maybe I should send mine there for summer vacation till end of Sep. However my Leaf battery is doing fine now, with 5 Temp Bars and low 90 weather, I am sticking to my plans and see what will happen.

mckemie said:
I just charged to 100% after receiving my SOC meter a few ways ago. 256. Slightly alarming. Range has always seemed acceptable. We now have 14k miles and charged to 100% for the first 10-12k miles. Then, it dawned on me that 80% would suffice for most of our trips. We now charge to 100% only about once a week. Indicated range (trip distance plus SMRD reading) is 90-95 miles on a full charge. That makes maximum range (to turtle) 95-105 miles.

If the gid really represents energy in the battery, I am 10-12% low.

Today, 8/4/12, we are at about 18k miles; the car has been on the road for about 14 months. Here is my battery situation:

date odometer GIDs @ 80% GIDS @ 100%
4/5/12 ~14k miles 212 256
8/4/12 ~18k miles 192 231

We are mostly running air condiitoning now, so the observed ranges are not especially relevant but we only get about 70 miles on a 100% charge. When the car was new 90-100 mile trips without air conditioning were common. It does look like we are down to about 83% of original capacity and the trend is VERY alarming..

We are getting close to the point of the car not being useful to us. I'm trying to figure out how to get the car to the dealer.

i have loss!! measured 276. 275, 275, 275, 276 will be charging to 100% for Sun and Mon so if things change will report but i think it has finally started. (6 weeks after i started QC'ng. coincidence?? probably. i have never seen 7 TBs) after 4 consecutive days charging to 100% i am guessing the pack is balanced.

now, the temperatures have gone up a lot over the past 2 days (65, 71, 67, 77, 82) expected highs for weekend 90 and 89. doubt that makes a difference but we shall see.

**edit** 8/5/12. charge completed at 5:48 AM, checked at 7:45 AM. GID count 276. (added to top) yesterday temp 91. car sat in unshaded lot all day but did not drive home until after 8 PM. temps only dropped to 85º but still only 6 TBs. started charge after midnight. garage temp 26C (79 F) this morning garage temp 22.4C (72F)

The last time I measured (a few months ago before my Gid Meter was stolen), I measured 274 at 100% twice so there is some loss in mine too... (I'm sure it is actually lower now.)

DaveinOlyWA said:
i have loss!! measured 276. 275, 275, 275.

TomT said:
The last time I measured (a few months ago before my Gid Meter was stolen), I measured 274 at 100% twice so there is some loss in mine too... (I'm sure it is actually lower now.)

DaveinOlyWA said:
i have loss!! measured 276. 275, 275, 275.

ya know this really illustrates that all loss is relative and we seek a balance in all things. now i probably would not go so far as to mention Newton's Conservation of Energy Law but when i got my LEAF i have a pretty well defined use for it as far as where we normally go in our day to day lives along with special trips we do and so on

so the LEAF started out as an errand, city, and commuter vehicle. but now that Quick Charge Stations have actually started to emerge (nearly a year late!) it has completely changed the game.

before, it was a major logistical issue to plan a trip longer than 80 miles. it was determine what was close, how far i wanted to walk, estimated time parked to charge, what to do for 3-4 hours in case i needed that much, etc. all because L2 is slow. its not a waypoint, it has to be a "stop"

QC is a way point. its ok for me to stop for 10-30 minutes on the way to something. so, in a way, i have lost a few miles of range, but have gained an easy 50-75% of range.

now, if the EV Highway Project can pony up the 40 DCFCs they promised us to go with the 12 on the WCGH project and that will cover me for my next 10% loss!

**off topic** anyone in the tier one area concerned over the expansion of the EV Highway Project when our area has not received the chargers promised primarily the QC's? is the expansion due to more money put into the project or is it money earmarked for us that is being spent elsewhere? not that i have anything against GA or IL, but exactly where did "that" money come from ?

DaveinOlyWA said:
**off topic** anyone in the tier one area concerned over the expansion of the EV Highway Project when our area has not received the chargers promised primarily the QC's? is the expansion due to more money put into the project or is it money earmarked for us that is being spent elsewhere? not that i have anything against GA or IL, but exactly where did "that" money come from ?

Dont worry, they wont get those chargers either :)

Herm said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

Please sir, I want some more... :(

Or at least 1. :cry:

ztanos said:
Herm said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

Please sir, I want some more... :(

Or at least 1. :cry:

be careful what you ask for, you might get "only" one!!

Finally put together a meter to read GIDs and voltage. It's based on Lincomatic 1.3 Test software and my 15,000 silver LEAF is reporting 262, 260, 261, 262, 266 GIDs over the past 5 days and the voltage has been 393 volts each time. I charge to 80% most of the time (14/15) or 100% couple times a month. Now with the GID meter I'm way ahead of schedule. This LEAF was manufactured 3/11 and lives outside for charging. I typically charge at 1AM 3 days out of the week and stop charge at 7AM 4 days of the week. My overall energy rate is 4.6 miles/KWHr on the dash display. I'm back to 80% charging for a week or two.

Using a borrowed GID meter I measure 250 at 100% charge.
My car was manufactured in 4/11, purchased 6/11 and has 12,500 miles on the odometer.
I charge to 80% 7 days per week. Have only charged to 100% every couple of months (and the 3 nights before this test to make sure the cells were balanced). I've used a QC exactly once (just to see if it worked).

thimel said:
Using a borrowed GID meter I measure 250 at 100% charge.
My car was manufactured in 4/11, purchased 6/11 and has 12,500 miles on the odometer.
I charge to 80% 7 days per week. Have only charged to 100% every couple of months (and the 3 nights before this test to make sure the cells were balanced). I've used a QC exactly once (just to see if it worked).

250 seems a bit low. i would do at least 3-4 measurement to get a "ballpark" number. i know 3 days in a row seems like it should be plenty but i have seen fluctuations running as much as 5 days

2012 Leaf SL with 51,800 Miles

188 GIDs Full
45.7 AHr
55% Hx
70% SOH
Max charge available is 14kWh
Under 150 QCs
over 2400 L1/L2
Currently at 9 Capacity Bars
Avg Range is 54 miles per charge with no Climate Control usage

Back