Birmingham, AL

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Dan,

Nice job on the spreadsheet. My numbers are almost identical in terms of MPG of ICE and price of gasoline and electricity. I drive around 1000 miles per month vs. your 1200-1600 miles per month so I won't see quite the savings that you do. Very cool.

Thanks for comments on video, I'm glad it came out as well as it did. We'll miss you on Sunday, maybe we can arrange a meet up another time.

Cheers, Bert

Well, I have finally finished my Leaf charger project that was started back in November 2011.
It is based on Chris Howell's Open EVSE project which started here on MyNissanLEAF.com.

It works on both L1 120 volt and L2 240 volt power sources, and with the proper relay and J1772 cable can charge up to 75 amps.
Now if the Leaf would only utilize that much power. ;)
Currently I have it set for 16 amps.

I will be bringing it to our Alabama Leaf meetup this Sunday (Earth Day).

Ready - not connected to EV
6943290954_6912b540e2_z.jpg

Ready - Waiting for EV
6943291074_961799b75c_z.jpg

Charging
6943291016_0601f76ef5_z.jpg

Greg C.

Had a really great Nissan Leaf meetup for Earth Day in Birmingham, AL.
We had a wonderful time talking with Bert about the Leaf and learned a few new things.
Looking forward to meeting some of the other owners in the area.

6958122206_53b5d51212_z.jpg

7104193225_c6a25ae187_z.jpg

Greg C.

Yep, Greg put me to shame with his nice, shiny silver LEAF. :) As soon as I got home, I washed mine. LOL

We had a great time comparing notes, and comparing vehicles, as Greg got the SL and I have the SV.

Greg, it was a real pleasure chatting with you and your wife. I'm looking forward to meeting up with more LEAF owners in the area!

Cheers, Bert

Hey Greg,

Was that you I saw on Acton Rd near I-459 this evening? I was surprised to see a silver LEAF while I was adjusting my sun visor. :)

Cheers, Bert

Hi Bert,
Must be another silver Leaf in town now. I have only driven on I-20/59 today.
We are off to Mt. Cheaha state park in the Leaf this weekend for some rest and relaxation.
Thanks for the PM.

Greg & Leann

Hey there,
Just got my leaf at the end of may. Really love it......i'm usually jammed up with my 4 kids but keep me posted on any local events. I work just past the colonnade on acton road.
marc

G'day Marc,

Welcome to the great world of LEAF ownership! As it happens I work at the collonade, so it sounds very convenient for lunch sometime. Let me know when it's convenient for you and we can do that and compare notes.

Cheers, Bert

Hi Greg, Marc, and all others in the BHM area!

We have two more -- count 'em -- TWO more LEAFs in the area! Woo Hoo! One of them is right where I work, the other is a little further North on 280. We have enough numbers for a decent get together now. What say you?

Let's pick a date and get together!

Cheers, Bert

Hi Bert,

Sounds great, I will bring along the latest version on the Open EVSE charger to show off.
I currently have a commitment for Sept 2nd, but most other weekends are open.

Thanks,
Greg C.

National Plug In Day is Sunday September 23rd 2012.

Bert posted on August 24th that it would be nice to have another get together in the Birmingham area with several new Leaf owners joining us recently.
National Plug in Day sounds like a good reason for a meet, anyone up for it?

Greg C.

I'm up for it but we may have to do Saturday as I won't be able to make Sunday... Sorry.

California Pizza Kitchen at the Summit again? I'm open for any other suggestion.

Regards, Bert

L3 charging after annual battery checkup at Crown Nissan.
8254630381_9acb2fa3f6_z.jpg

First time using the L3 charge port
8254631341_a22ba97896_z.jpg

The battery check went fine with 5 stars for all categories. Our Leaf service person Justin Lightsey did a great job and got us in and out fairly quickly.
So far I can recommend Crown Nissan for service, and will be back again in a year.
The L3 charger is positioned a bit weird, and will not reach if parked in the space next to it.
I was told the best way to park was head-on as in the above photo, which partially encroaches on the service entrance.

Greg C.

G'day y'all! :)

I am seriously loving my car! Nearly 11,000 trouble-free miles so far in the last 13 months. A bit late getting my annual battery checkup done, need to do that.

I have seen a new silver LEAF on Acton Road near the golf course twice now in the last few weeks. I guess we have a new LEAF owner! Hopefully he will pipe up. I know it's a "he" because this morning I saw an impressive black mustache... No wave back when I waved at him though.

Cool to see more LEAFs popping up in the area!

Cheers, Bert

Back