Zero:Net - The UK's open Charging Network

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I noticed Nissan LEAF UK posted today about putting L3 along the motorways. I still say A9 should be a motorway but that's neither here nor there. Of course the plan could be sometime in the next Liberal Dems majority but still if not later, here's hoping. In any case, I noticed L2 common in many of the service areas on the motorways but we all know how impractical L2 is on a motorway. L3 would be wonderful with 70 mph at maybe 3.3mi/kWh for 16.6kWh between charges or stopping off about once every 55 mi or 47 minutes. Not the most convenient way to travel but better than using fossil fuel if you can avoid it, even Diesel. :) Interestingly you end up going faster at 70 rather than trying to maintain 45 because you may get 28 mi more at 45 mph but that takes 111 minutes. If we then triple the time at 70 and double for 45 we get about 100 mi covered in 141 minutes + 3 Charges at 70 or about 100 in 222 minutes + 2 charges at 45, an hour difference. Since L3 only takes about 25 minutes, flooring it pays.

TimeHorse said:
In any case, I noticed L2 common in many of the service areas on the motorways but we all know how impractical L2 is on a motorway.
Remember that L2 supports up to 43kW and has the great advantage that it's cheap to deploy... we have some Zero:Net sites that are just off the motorway that will provide a refreshing alternative to motorway service stations.

KevinSharpe said:
TimeHorse said:
In any case, I noticed L2 common in many of the service areas on the motorways but we all know how impractical L2 is on a motorway.
Remember that L2 supports up to 43kW and has the great advantage that it's cheap to deploy... we have some Zero:Net sites that are just off the motorway that will provide a refreshing alternative to motorway service stations.

Fair point. Wish I'd snapped a photo when I stopped to get Deisel (better than Gasoline at least) since 43kW is crazy high power! In the US the most we get is a ClipperCreek CS-100 unit at 80A / 240VAC (I have one) meaning about 19kW and that's the Tesla Model S charging (or Gen 2 Smart ED if the rumours are correct). Anything above that is beyond the J1772 spec. The 2011/2012 LEAF, with the exception of Australia, NZ, the UK, Japan, etc. all have the driving column on the right and France, the US, Canada, Germany, etc. on the left, they're otherwise the same. Same 3.8kW charger (which more or less needs nothing but a pilot signal to handle 240VAC 15A/20A native circuits like you have in Europe and Asia but in the strangely nanny-states of North America you need something a bit more exotic than a standard wall plug) in all LEAFs since that's the greatest common denominator. 6.7kW likely in 2013 for the U.S. market, not sure if the UK-made LEAFs will offer that but please keep me posted. But the point is unless 43kW is coming in as DC via the CHAdeMO port it can't feed the car that fast. Can't even feed the Tesla Model S with $10,000 Charger Upgrade that fast. And if it is DC then that's technically L3 and thus exactly what's needed on the British motorways. Just do what the Japanese tell you to and CHAdeMO as in Stop and Have some Tea (English Breakfast with milk, of course; any other preparation would be uncivilized! :)

Mind you, I have a feeling Scotland are a bit lagging on the Charging infrastructure at the moment. Doesn't look to be much North of Edinburgh, alas.

KevinSharpe said:
We are currently installing 26 ZeroNet charging locations in Wales to add to the 25 that exist today... imagine what this map will look like early next year :D

Imagine what it will look like for the Doctor Who Fiftieth Anniversary? Thank goodness for once they're not forgetting the Welsh!

(Note: You can't hear my but I said that with a Welsh lilt.)

nice tweet about Cara Naden's first day as ZCW's Charging Station Product Manager :D

"Great to meet @carannaden today, what a star! 1st day and 14 new #ElectricCar Charging Stations to plug in to."

https://twitter.com/ZCWcharlie/status/288706055037403136" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back