Leaf Charging Efficiency - Lab Test (and Idle power draw)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
An estimate for the motor torque constant is 1.4 Nm/amp and would like to confirm if anyone has a more accurate value or actual measurement.

Ingineer said:
The accessory power meter is a "fake" meter. It simply adds on some pre-coded amount of power when it detects you have turned somehing on (via the CAN bus). So it will not show the actual power draw, nor will it show many accessories, such as anything drawing power from the 12v outlet. Do not depend on it for making any calculations.
<snip>

Thanks for starting this thread. I had my suspicions about the accessory power meter, but you've pretty much confirmed it for me.

Also, I realize that the power that just the vent fans (climate control off) draw is low, but I would expect at least the tiniest amount to show on the meter. Any idea on what amount the vent fans actually draw?

Ahh! THAT explains why I have never seen the numbers I expected under different scenarios...

Ingineer said:
The accessory power meter is a "fake" meter. It simply adds on some pre-coded amount of power when it detects you have turned somehing on (via the CAN bus). So it will not show the actual power draw, nor will it show many accessories, such as anything drawing power from the 12v outlet.

I Just LOVE this forum!!

Ingineer said:
Here are my charging measurements on the Leaf:

Charging using the original 120v EVSE: (112.5v recorded at EVSE input)

Standby Power: 4.9w
Charge Power in: 1.451kW
Power to Leaf Battery: 1.125kW
Total Power Lost: 326w
Total Charge Efficiency: 77.5%

These measurements are all using our Rev2 Upgraded EVSE:

120v: (112.6v recorded at EVSE input)
Standby Power: 1.7w
Charge Power in: 1.436kW
Total Power Lost: 311w
Total Charge Efficiency: 78.3%

240v: (239.8v recorded at EVSE input)
Standby Power: 3.4w
Charge Power in: 3.756kW
Power to Leaf Battery: 3.414kW
Total Power Lost: 342w
Total Charge Efficiency: 90.9%

All these measurements were with the Leaf pack at around 62 degrees F and ~65% SoC. Readings were allowed to stabilize before recording. The power to the Leaf battery was calculated by recording amperage at the cell interconnect level using a high-accuracy kelvin-connected current shunt, so the losses are a sum of all EVSE/Charger/Leaf systems. Charger input power was similarly recorded using lab-grade calibrated true RMS equipment, not a Kill-A-Watt.

These efficiency calculations do not take into account the coulombic loss in the Leaf's battery, and other Leaf systems during discharge, so this is only charging efficiency up to the battery pack itself but not including the pack, of which also has notable loss.

While I'm at it, someone asked me recently what the idle draw of the Leaf is. It bounces around a lot, but it's as low as 140w, typically around 160w with all accessories, lights, and CC off, and 230 watts for headlights and 360w with High-Beams on. (My Leaf will be slightly lower, as I've changed most of the incandescent bulbs to LED.) Again, these power measurements were derived by recording amperage at the cell interconnect level using a high-accuracy kelvin-connected current shunt.

If anyone wants to know any highly accurate information about the Leaf's systems, I might have already recorded it, feel free to ask!

-Phil

KillaWhat said:
I Just LOVE this forum!!

Ingineer said:
Here are my charging measurements on the Leaf:

Charging using the original 120v EVSE: (112.5v recorded at EVSE input)

Standby Power: 4.9w
Charge Power in: 1.451kW
Total Power Lost: 326w
Total Charge Efficiency: 77.5%

These measurements are all using our Rev2 Upgraded EVSE:

120v: (112.6v recorded at EVSE input)
Standby Power: 1.7w
Charge Power in: 1.436kW
Total Power Lost: 311w
Total Charge Efficiency: 78.3%

240v: (239.8v recorded at EVSE input)
Standby Power: 3.4w
Charge Power in: 3.756kW
Power to Leaf Battery: 3.414kW
Total Power Lost: 342w
Total Charge Efficiency: 90.9%

All these measurements were with the Leaf pack at around 62 degrees F and ~65% SoC. Readings were allowed to stabilize before recording. The power to the Leaf battery was calculated by recording amperage at the cell interconnect level using a high-accuracy kelvin-connected current shunt, so the losses are a sum of all EVSE/Charger/Leaf systems. Charger input power was similarly recorded using lab-grade calibrated true RMS equipment, not a Kill-A-Watt.

These efficiency calculations do not take into account the coulombic loss in the Leaf's battery, and other Leaf systems during discharge, so this is only charging efficiency up to the battery pack itself but not including the pack, of which also has notable loss.

While I'm at it, someone asked me recently what the idle draw of the Leaf is. It bounces around a lot, but it's as low as 140w, typically around 160w with all accessories, lights, and CC off, and 230 watts for headlights and 360w with High-Beams on. (My Leaf will be slightly lower, as I've changed most of the incandescent bulbs to LED.) Again, these power measurements were derived by recording amperage at the cell interconnect level using a high-accuracy kelvin-connected current shunt.

If anyone wants to know any highly accurate information about the Leaf's systems, I might have already recorded it, feel free to ask!

-Phil

Like YA!! it s not hard to see why. its like having our own personal Leaf Engineer on hand expect i am beginning to suspect Phil might be able to teach them a few things as well

Ingineer said:
The coolant pumps (there are 2) run all the time while charging, pump one runs at 39% duty-cycle and pump two runs at 44%. The speed does not change regardless of charging power, which is why there is significant fixed overhead while charging. Why this was chosen by Nissan is a mystery.

The Power factor varies but is almost always above .96 and usually .99 or better.

Yes, the Battery ECU decides what the charge power limit should be and the charger obeys. So if you have higher line voltage, you'll have less amps, but you won't ever increase power.

-Phil

I only have ! pump that runs,while charging on 120 volts. should I have 2.? how did you find this operating principle. Does your fan ever start. Mind never heats up enough.

any thoughts on repeating measurements at different temps? be interested to see how the values change when temp is say 100 verses early spring when you did it and it was what?? 70?

What about direct charging with ~400v DC using Solar PV array?
(Thus avoiding DC to 120/220v AC, then back to DC losses)
I know this could be very $$$, but from a technical point of view, is this feasible?

A few thoughts:
* Most modern PVs can operate on 600V+ series connection.
* Use a bank of Super caps to stabilize PV system voltage.
* Use a DC to DC inverter to produce a DC charging voltage that the Leaf would like.
*Option 1) The DC/DC inverter would maintain the (Leaf required) DC voltage & Amps but drop out if Voltage or Amps could not be maintained
*Option 2) The DC/DC inverter would maintain the (Leaf required) DC voltage but vary the Amps delivered.

A) What DC charging voltage (& tolerance) does the Leaf like?
B) What DC charging Amps (& tolerance) does the Leaf like?
C) i.e. what threshold will Leaf ~400v dc port allow power in (& disallow power in)?

Here's the problem with direct DC; when your expensive solar array isn't being used to charge your car, it's going to waste. (From a conservation point of view)

Then, from the bean-counter POV you have economies of scale; a "custom" converter would have to sell a large # of units to recoup dev costs, with an already limited EV market how many will really sell? If you can make a business case, I'll built it.

The current best solution is a solar grid intertie, then standard charging gear. Yeah, it may be a few percent less efficient, but COST is the big elephant in the room here. Then, you can charge anytime, night/day/cloudy, and when you AREN'T charging your solar is still powering your house, offsetting your bill.

-Phil

Phil; any thoughts of internal losses after power is delivered in the battery; heat, etc? what percentage? even a ballpark figure would be appreciated

DaveinOlyWA said:
Phil; any thoughts of internal losses after power is delivered in the battery; heat, etc? what percentage? even a ballpark figure would be appreciated
NREL LEAF Teardown and Detailed Testing
Energy from the wall from dead to 100%: 25.414 kWh
Energy from the onboard charger to battery: 22.031 kWh
Energy from the battery during discharge: 21.381 kWh
Of the energy pumped in to the battery, you get 97% out.

drees said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

Thanks for that!!

drees said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
I trust this result of 97% for overall average battery efficiency, but it is an average, because how you drive affects the battery discharge loss. As I have posted several times, the discharge loss as measured by the voltage sag under load is approximately 1% per 10 kW of delivered power. 20 kW is 2% or 400W, 30 kW is 3% or 900W, etc.

Similarly I believe the battery charging efficiency varies with charging rate. The difference may not be noticeable between L1 and L2, but it becomes important at L3 rates. The loss at a given L3 current rate also goes up with increasing SOC because the battery pack's charging impedance rises.

If you are trying to make an argument to spend the $ to get an L2 charger / 240v outlet with EVSE Upgrade, can you very roughly & broadly assume a pickup of 15% efficiency of wall to wheel (90% v. 75%)?

If so, do you then simply run your calculations to show how many less kW you pull to charge the LEAF * the $/kW your energy provider is charging you to determine how valuable this efficiency is to you?

Without knowing what my next car will be, I am finding it hard to invest $1k + wiring (or even less via EVSE Upgrade) when the 120v existing outlet in my garage is meeting my needs (but restricting my flexibility).

jpa2825 said:
... Without knowing what my next car will be, I am finding it hard to invest $1k + wiring (or even less via EVSE Upgrade) when the 120v existing outlet in my garage is meeting my needs (but restricting my flexibility).
Sounds like a vicious circle. You're not using the car to it's potential because of L1, therefore, you're less likely to buy another EV next time, therefore you're reluctant to spend money on L2, therefore you're not using the car...

I am so happy to know about these findings! Based on the information that Phil collected, is it correct to assume that the 6.6 kW Level 2 charging on the 2013 Leaf would be closer to 95% efficiency (i.e. 6.3/6.6=.95)?

jpa2825 said:
If you are trying to make an argument to spend the $ to get an L2 charger / 240v outlet with EVSE Upgrade, can you very roughly & broadly assume a pickup of 15% efficiency of wall to wheel (90% v. 75%)?

If so, do you then simply run your calculations to show how many less kW you pull to charge the LEAF * the $/kW your energy provider is charging you to determine how valuable this efficiency is to you?

This was my thought from the get go. I might have some math wrong here and correct me if I do. The problem here is it isn't just the 15% loss on the straight charging, besides that lets look at 5 days of charging for a 40 mile commute. Assuming you can run, lets say 4 miles/kwh that is 10kwh a day, so to speak. Now charging back up from level 1 you need to charge for approximately 9 hours at 300w / hour loss or 2700w lost on an overnight charge. That same charge at 6.6kw would take at max 2 hours or 600w lost. This same trip repeated 5 times a week turns in to 13.5 kwh lost for 120v charging and just 3 kwh for the 240v charging or a savings of 10kwh a week or 40kwh a month. To me that adds up pretty quick and we run closer to 80 miles a day, doubling all this.

Not to mention the ability to throw 6 kwh or 20+ miles in over lunch or dinner and keep using the leaf instead of pulling out an ice.

dglaser said:
I am so happy to know about these findings! Based on the information that Phil collected, is it correct to assume that the 6.6 kW Level 2 charging on the 2013 Leaf would be closer to 95% efficiency (i.e. 6.3/6.6=.95)?

probably closer to 90-91%. I am getting right at 90% running at 4.8 kw. i tried 5.76 for 4 days charging at least 15 kwh a day and saw no real change

Back