(Un)Official Mitsubishi (Cypress, CA) L3 Scheduling Thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry to hear about your situation, Hill.

That person's attitude is one reason why I'm in favor of fees for charging at least a nominal fee at now-free charging stations. Even at my workplace, we now have a couple of PiPs, which should be fully charged within about an hour on L2, that 'hog' charging spots the entire workday. This prevents other PEVs, both BEVs and EREVs, from making use of the charging stations. A few extra bucks out of their pocket each day adds up over time, and would be one way to change behavior for the 'I'll-keep-hogging-until-they-stop-me' types.

Think they need to go back the old system at Mitsubishi, at least with the J1772s - charging only during business hours, and keeping the nozzles locked up until unlocked by a Mitsubishi employeee. Sad that the cheap-ass PHEV owners are buggering it up for everybody. Scumbags!

I suggested to her that with more and more plug ins willing to simply occupy for free "because they can" ... or because that way they don't have to use their own electricity .... that such a level of indifference will ultimately ruin it for all. Didn't matter. I mentioned eventually Mitsu will (well within their rights) kick us all out. That was ok too ... because if Mitsu truly didn't approve of this kind of behavior - and considered stopping by daily as 'excess', they'd simply stop access to all. She told me there are several other Volt owners doing the same thing. So, there you go. In some folks minds,take full use of it, 'till you can no longer use it. Nothing new under the sun, I suppose. Give us half a chance, we'd abuse Mitsu as much as folks did to easter island ... because after all ... no one put up a sign that said not to.

moai6.jpg

:?

mwalsh said:
Think they need to go back the old system at Mitsubishi, at least with the J1772s - charging only during business hours, and keeping the nozzles locked up until unlocked by a Mitsubishi employeee. Sad that the cheap-ass PHEV owners are buggering it up for everybody. Scumbags!

Sorry for the slight off topic on this thread, but I was at South Coast Plaza yesterday underground EVSE parking at Crystal Court. When I arrived, there was a Volt parked in one of two J1772 spots, NOT plugged in! A LEAF was also there charging. Luckily, there was enough room in between them for me to squeeze in and use the charger that the Volt was not using (I did flag down the parking and security guy, and he said it was ok for me to split that parking spot to plug-in, and he took down the Volt's license plate).

That's not all. These spots are clearly marked with 2hr limit. I came back after 1hr 50min to move my car. While the LEAF was gone (another Volt took that spot), the original Volt was still there!

These are the ones giving GM and Volt a bad name.

We have the same problem where I now work with a Volt and a PIP constantly blocking the only two 120 volt outlet charging locations all day. One even had it's EVSE plugged in to the car one day but NOT plugged in to the outlet, just coiled up below the car so that it appeared as if he was charging... Unbelievable! What is wrong with PHEV owners?!

occ said:
These are the ones giving GM and Volt a bad name.

FYI, I used the CHAdeMO charger this morning (Saturday 01/12/13) with no problems. In fact, after getting connected, I looked around a bit and realized that parked right behind me was a 2014 Outlander! If only someone had been in the office with the keys, I could have had all of my questions answered about head- and legroom. Oh well, hopefully they'll publish some specs soon. But it looks good, so I'm still anxiously awaiting my PHEV version... :cool:

IMG_2198.JPG

IMG_2196.JPG

No problema. Charged there Friday night. The real problem is that you meet people there and hang out talking for a while. :)

mwalsh said:
Anyone been by recently to DCQC? Looking for an update, just in case I need one tomorrow.

This station is such a fucking mess. Despite the signs, there is still someone who parks their volt overnight here. There was a guy here tonight that thought it would be a good idea to park in the middle of the divider line for the two open spots for the quick charger and then wanted to know where we lived just so he could brag to us how he lived right nearby. The numbskull didn't even leave when the charger stopped charging for the first time. The guy shifted over to the L2 EVSE eventually and I think he's going to wait all night until he gets a 100% charge. I don't get why people with the money to buy an electric car don't value their own time more.

coolfilmaker said:
This station is such a f__king mess.
Of course, it's not the station that's messed up, it's the yahoos using it incorrectly. I for one greatly appreciate that the station exists and has been operational every time I've needed it (not to mention that the electrons are free). Hopefully the "numbskulls" will migrate elsewhere as time goes on. And thank God the Volt and Prius plug-in can't use CHAdeMO, otherwise, it would be overrun by yahoos.

They need to start ticketing and towing!

ahagge said:
coolfilmaker said:
Of course, it's not the station that's messed up, it's the yahoos using it incorrectly. I for one greatly appreciate that the station exists and has been operational every time I've needed it (not to mention that the electrons are free). Hopefully the "numbskulls" will migrate elsewhere as time goes on. And thank God the Volt and Prius plug-in can't use CHAdeMO, otherwise, it would be overrun by yahoos.

ahagge said:
coolfilmaker said:

EATON DCQC utilizes a CHAdeMO compliant power connector with future option available for the SAE J1772 AC/DC combo connector which, is currently under development.

So if this happens the Volt and Prius plug-in yahoos can start the overrun!!

The Volt and Prius will still only have L2 charging capability.

A FrankenPlug will do them no good, since their car will
neither connect nor charge. They will continue to use
the simple J1772, I susoect.

vsaphill said:
EATON DCQC utilizes a CHAdeMO compliant power connector with future option available for the SAE J1772 AC/DC combo connector which, is currently under development.

So if this happens the Volt and Prius plug-in yahoos can start the overrun!!

I don't think it is as simple as adding a AC/DC combo connector to an existing DC FC unit in the field...First of all, this Eaton DC FC is an older unit. It was designed and submitted for UL testing back in the day (which is both time-consuming and expensive). When it passed, then Eaton start selling and installing them in different public locations. Many places won't install non-UL listed equipment for liability reasons...

A manufacturer cannot make such a significant change as what you're talking about without going through the same UL re-testing and re-listing process, and even if they could, there are many smart people who have looked at the differences between Chademo and Combo charging hardware and power electronics and have said that it would be much more complex than just a cable swapout. The two standards are very much different (earth ground on one, floating ground on the other, just as a starting point).

Since Mitsubishi has already made the decision to "go Chademo" with their cars, why would they spend the money to basically swap out this existing working station with a newly designed/UL listed unit that has both types of charging cords? Not to mention that this equipment isn't cheap in the first place, and a replacement unit with the extra functionality would be even more expensive...

I just don't see the logic for them to spend any money to "upgrade" the unit...What they have is working fine with the intended cars...

Back