Use Google Maps to program a destination in your Leaf's Navi

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found the business search by name to be most effective by far. just make sure you narrow down the region if you're looking at something with nationwide locations or sort by distance

Most of us have smart phones.

I use "Send to Phone" app from the Android Play store...

It works well, it's integrated with Google Maps (sorry iOS 6 folks), it's free, and it sends the info right to my LEAF.. way simple

EatsShootsandLeafs said:
Speaking of iPhone, in both chrome and sarafi I see no way to send to car. Anybody done it? I just googled and people have complained about this for other cars for years. Not sure why google hasn't made it an option on mobile, it's so obviously needed.

No way to do it. even if you switch to the "Classic View" in Google Maps while using Safari. The Link button is there, next to the Print button, but instead of a "Send" link in the resulting popup (which is where you'd find "Car") it reads "Email" on the iPad/iPhone version, which of course only gives you a new email message.

mwalsh said:
EatsShootsandLeafs said:
Speaking of iPhone, in both chrome and sarafi I see no way to send to car. Anybody done it? I just googled and people have complained about this for other cars for years. Not sure why google hasn't made it an option on mobile, it's so obviously needed.

No way to do it. even if you switch to the "Classic View" in Google Maps while using Safari. The Link button is there, next to the Print button, but instead of a "Send" link in the resulting popup (which is where you'd find "Car") it reads "Email" on the iPad/iPhone version, which of course only gives you a new email message.

but you CAN do it on Android:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jvanier.android.sendtocar&hl=en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

gaswalla said:
mwalsh said:
EatsShootsandLeafs said:

but you CAN do it on Android:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jvanier.android.sendtocar&hl=en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jealous :) Send To Car search in apple app store I see one for rolls royce only!

gaswalla said:
Most of us have smart phones.

I use "Send to Phone" app from the Android Play store...

It works well, it's integrated with Google Maps (sorry iOS 6 folks), it's free, and it sends the info right to my LEAF.. way simple

just to clarify; "send to phone" is an app that sends internet links and whatnot to the phone and requires a separate download. (very cool app, i use it frequently) the "send to car" feature of google maps is entirely different

I'm now using Leaf Link. Sends the data via RSS feed. Very easy to use.
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=9419" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I had used this method successfully quite a few times till a couple of months ago on my 2012 leaf. Now whenever I try it does not work anymore. I have tried it many times over 2 months, the failure: The carwings in the Leaf does show a 'sent msg is waiting', but when I download, I get a communication error. The only change around the time this start failings is my Serius subscription (the free that came with the car) expired and I did not renew it.

Is there anybody out there with expired Serius subscription, and this map send method still working?

If serius expiry is not the cause, any suggestions how to fix this? To me this was a very useful feature, since I usually lookup a place I am going on g.map the night before, and I did not have to remember or write down the address etc when I start the car.

Solangelist said:
I had used this method successfully quite a few times till a couple of months ago on my 2012 leaf. Now whenever I try it does not work anymore. I have tried it many times over 2 months, the failure: The carwings in the Leaf does show a 'sent msg is waiting', but when I download, I get a communication error. The only change around the time this start failings is my Serius subscription (the free that came with the car) expired and I did not renew it.

Is there anybody out there with expired Serius subscription, and this map send method still working?

If serius expiry is not the cause, any suggestions how to fix this? To me this was a very useful feature, since I usually lookup a place I am going on g.map the night before, and I did not have to remember or write down the address etc when I start the car.
I use the navi all the time, downloading from GoogleMaps, and find it very handy, as you do. I never got the Sirius XM that supposedly came free with the car because as soon as I tried it it said my subscription was expired. I think my new car had been sitting in San Diego for 6 mos. after activation, but before delivery. So to answer your question, yes I have no XM subscription and my Carwings navigation system works great. I just used it today. I think it's a hardware problem with your car, or possibly something in the environment changed, like the local cell towers, etc. Sorry, but I have no suggestion as to a fix except to take it to the dealer.

Is it 100% for sure this is your carwings login at nissanusa.com/owners? I did the send to car and it's not showing up on carwings.

sirfergy said:
Is it 100% for sure this is your carwings login at nissanusa.com/owners? I did the send to car and it's not showing up on carwings.

Did you download it to the car? I'm not sitting in my car right now. But you have to go Carwings/All Information Feeds/Google Maps (or something like that). Then, when the stuff stored there starts to download (if you have more than one destination you've sent). You need to press pause and select it as a new destination.

mwalsh said:
sirfergy said:
Did you download it to the car? I'm not sitting in my car right now. But you have to go Carwings/All Information Feeds/Google Maps (or something like that). Then, when the stuff stored there starts to download (if you have more than one destination you've sent). You need to press pause and select it as a new destination.
Solangelist said he used the method successfully over a period of time so I think he knows how to do it. I think it's a hardware problem. Take it to the dealer.

Hello everybody:

I'm a new Leaf owner from Southern CA and was curious as to why you'd ever need to use Google Maps to send your car a destination rather than simply using the navigation in the car itself.

Thanks to everyone for all the great information in this forum. Driving this new car is a total thrill... and I look forward to the day when I can shout out to the guy in the Prius next to me, "Hey buddy... get that gas guzzler off the road, will ya?!" :lol:

Many thanks!

SirLeaf

SirLeaf said:
Thanks to everyone for all the great information in this forum. Driving this new car is a total thrill... and I look forward to the day when I can shout out to the guy in the Prius next to me, "Hey buddy... get that gas guzzler off the road, will ya?!" :lol:
Heh. If I finally get a Leaf, I'll probably buy a license plate frame for my Prius that says "Prius is my gas guzzler".

SirLeaf said:
I'm a new Leaf owner from Southern CA and was curious as to why you'd ever need to use Google Maps to send your car a destination rather than simply using the navigation in the car itself.
Oh, I doubt I ever need to do so, but it is often convenient. If I'm at the keyboard and find a location I want to visit, it is much easier to send it to the LEAF, than it is to jot the location on a scrap of paper and go out to the cold garage, turn the car on, and punch in the location.

But, to each his own.

BTW, welcome to the forum and hope you enjoy your LEAF as much as I do mine.

Bill

SirLeaf said:
Hello everybody:

If you're already in the car and don't want to stop, it's easier to use Google Maps. Or you really don't like using the onscreen keyboard. The Windows Phone app LEAF Commander lets you send the address to your car, and integrates with the built in search so you can be looking for somewhere to eat and then send it to your car.

I downloaded the new Google Maps to my iPhone the other day. I pulled up a route on it to test it out and I noticed that the Leaf Navi used it (over Bluetooth) to speak the directions. Is that a known feature or something with the new Google Maps? I find that the Leaf Navi is difficult to work with, so I'll be using this method from now on.

sirfergy said:
SirLeaf said:
Hello everybody:

If you're already in the car and don't want to stop, it's easier to use Google Maps. Or you really don't like using the onscreen keyboard. The Windows Phone app LEAF Commander lets you send the address to your car, and integrates with the built in search so you can be looking for somewhere to eat and then send it to your car.
Another good reason: the nav in the Leaf is terrible at finding intersections. On at least three occasions I've been in the Leaf and wanted to go to an intersection but couldn't because the Leaf didn't recognize one or both streets. First you have to know the city, which isn't always easy here in Silicon Valley where 13 cities mash together in various jigsaw shapes. If you don't, you put the name of the first street in and then have to scroll down till you find the likely city. You choose that. The you do the same for street 2. Even if this works, it takes forever and you have to be pulled over and parked to do it. When you start to push the buttons for the street names of either or both, other letters start to disappear from the touchscreen. For example, if you press EL-space-C and El Camino Real is the only street in that city in the database starting with those letters, the only letter that will be highlighted (and pushable) next is the A. What happens a lot is that it only has major intersections, so even though you know X and Y intersect, after you press X and then it asks for the second street, street Y isn't there. You can't even enter the name because the letter you want isn't highlighted. Yet if you enter the exact numerical street address, either on X or Y, it will find it and navigate you there. For some reason, available streets in the database for intersections is much smaller than in the address and navigation database.

Second reason: for geocachers or Munzee players you can't enter coordinates in the car.

Google Maps has no problem with any of these entry methods. You can find them there at home/office/smart phone and send them to the car and then pull them up while driving.

I find it annoying that you can't stop the Google-Send to Car feed from redownloading every time you turn the car on with the map screen on. This seems to be an issue from the 2011 models and also affects my 2013.

Back