Fast Low Cost Charging - All EVSE Questions Answered!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The dash indicator says it's charging at 120v. and so does the carwings website.

I bought an upgraded unit without the L6-20R plug (just the pigtail) and added a 10-30P plug to the pigtail so that I could just plug it into my 30A plug in the garage.

leonardvoet said:
The dash indicator says it's charging at 120v. and so does the carwings website.

I bought an upgraded unit without the L6-20R plug (just the pigtail) and added a 10-30P plug to the pigtail so that I could just plug it into my 30A plug in the garage.

I just found this thread and I noticed that on the EVSE Upgrade page, they also mention this page.
Funny how you have to sign all these waivers on the unit, but they BARELY mention that you can't just connect a 220v plug to the end of it.
Does anyone have the wiring diagram for the mail plug end of the pigtail to a L6-20 plug?

SO5B.jpg

power_devices_10_30_50R_universal.jpg

Do you plan to take the L6-20 off and attach a 10-30P?

I would not cut the moulded end off. You need a L6-20R available at any good all night hardware store and some 3 wire cord with #12 or #10 wire to attach to the 10-30P.

leonardvoet said:

Aww, you must be plugged into 120v then using the 5-15 to L6-20 adapter.

My adapter has #14 wire so it should not be used to make a V2 adapter to 240v. Maybe if you just have V1 at 12a 240v.

smkettner said:
Do you plan to take the L6-20 off and attach a 10-30P?

I would not cut the moulded end off. You need a L6-20R available at any good all night hardware store and some 3 wire cord with #12 or #10 wire to attach to the 10-30P.

I have this pigtail
pig3.jpg

and this plug
power_devices_10_30_50R_universal.jpg

I dont plan on cutting the molded plug off - it plugs into the evse.
What wires on the pigtail connect to the plug terminals?

smkettner said:
Black and White wire to X & Y, those are the hot leads.

Green wire to the W which is a shared Ground/Neutral.

THANKS!!!!

I will switch the connections now and post back in 10 minutes.

leonardvoet said:
smkettner said:
Black and White wire to X & Y, those are the hot leads.

Green wire to the W which is a shared Ground/Neutral.

THANKS!!!!

I will switch the connections now and post back in 10 minutes.

BTW - I had:
Green to W
White and Black to X and Y

smkettner said:
X & Y can be swapped without issue. You had it right ;)

Green to W is the key.

Sorry - I meant white to W.

It's working like a champ now. I made my own extension cord.
I'll take some pix and write it up this weekend and post it, along with wiring connection instructions this weekend.

Thanks so much for your help. I sent you a PM, please reply :D

Hi Phil,

For the first time in 18 months of use, My LEAF did not charge on the timer as expected last night.

My 16 A upgrade had both the charging light and the red fault light on. the fault light went away after I unplugged and plugged it in again. I assume the fault may have been caused by the power outage I had last night, one of five I've had in the last ten days, due to recent storm conditions.

Seems to be working fine now, but I just wanted to suggest you add a fault light FAQ to your site, explaining what can set the fault light off, and what to do if you get it. I also vaguely remember (or mis-remember?) you suggesting unplugging during power outages to prevent potential damage to the EVSE, but this not possible when the power "blinks" off for just a moment, as is often the case.

Edit:
Well, maybe I should be concerned after all. I just checked the owners manual (page CH29) which states that when the Charging and fault lights are on:

When the EVSE (Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment) malfunctions
Stop use immediately and contact a NISSAN certified LEAF dealer.

http://www.nissan-techinfo.com/refgh0v/og/Leaf/2012-Nissan-LEAF.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Suggestions, anyone?

Ingineer said:
smkettner said:
Seems like this should be in the one of the marketplace catagories for selling Leaf related items.

The goal of this thread is not to sell stuff, as that is covered elsewhere, rather it's to answer the questions that are being generated and reduce the confusion, as well as clarify how charging works in general. The 600+ posts in the old thread (now locked) should show how much of a hot topic this is. If this thread is hidden away, it's just going to mean more new threads posted with repetitive questions. What would you rather see?

-Phil

Got mine set up a few months ago. Alrady used: Dryer Outlet in a relative's home; 240vAC welding machine outlet at the company warehouse; 220VAC air conditioner outlet in a workshop (had a 40A breaker so I didn't need to put a penny under the contacts :) ); RV hookup at a local Tenn. state park (used the outlet, opened 2 doors on one side, activated the remote climate control, set up the tent and had heated sleeping that night). Money well spent and fist class construction practices too.

Seems to be working fine now, but I just wanted to suggest you add a fault light FAQ to your site, explaining what can set the fault light off, and what to do if you get it. I also vaguely remember (or mis-remember?) you suggesting unplugging during power outages to prevent potential damage to the EVSE, but this not possible when the power "blinks" off for just a moment, as is often the case.

Edit:
Well, maybe I should be concerned after all. I just checked the owners manual (page CH29) which states that when the Charging and fault lights are on:
Wondering if there is an issue to be concerned about here?

gergg said:

Edit:
Wondering if there is an issue to be concerned about here?

The fault light is not a big concern unless it happens repeatedly. Are you repeatedly getting the fault light?

Ok I DID look through a few other pages to see if this was addressed already (as well as using the sucky search tool) sooo, here goes;

How will our Mod'ed portable EVSE's do if/when hooked up to the newer 2013 / 6K on-board charger?

will I let the smoke out?

hill said:
Ok I DID look through a few other pages to see if this was addressed already (as well as using the sucky search tool) sooo, here goes;

How will our Mod'ed portable EVSE's do if/when hooked up to the newer 2013 / 6K on-board charger?

Since it still can only deliver 16A max (assuming you have the Rev2 upgrade, or 12 for Rev1), the 6.6kw charger won't charge much faster than before. Maybe just a tiny bit faster.

Assuming no loss, 240V * 16A = 3.84 KW, so that's the most power the EVSE can deliver.

The 2013 S has a 3.6kw charger, so it'll charge a little bit faster than then old 3.3kw charger. The draw is still within the 16A limit.

A 6.6kw charger on the 2013 SV or SL can still only draw 16A max from the Rev2 EVSE upgrade, so the most it can draw is 3.8 kw (assuming no loss). But it won't smoke out.

hill said:

I doubt anyone's been able to try it, yet. There's little danger of catastrophic failure (smoke), but there is a slight chance that it won't work for one reason or another. We've seen that sort of thing before.

Back