Flat Tire can't be plugged due to use of Leaf's sealant

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

6yearstilbreakeven

My wife got a flat today, and Pep Boys would not plug the tire on the grounds that once a sealant is used, the plug leaks. Basically we're going to have to spend 160 to replace the tire. Has this happened to anyone else?

If anything it may harm the tire pressure sensor only. Call other shops to see if they can fix. Walmart should fix it if not on the side. Next time, just air the tire w the provided plug in pump and get to a tire place if possible.

Let us know the outcome.

Ian B

6yearstilbreakeven said:
My wife got a flat today, and Pep Boys would not plug the tire on the grounds that once a sealant is used, the plug leaks.
I haven't heard that one before, but I have heard of tire shops not liking the job of cleaning up the goop inside the tire.

But yeah, the TPMS sensor may need to be replaced.

This is exactly why I don't like it when cars include slime instead of a spare. If I were in that boat, I'd have personally tried to overinflate the tire w/a regular air pump and limp along until I could get it patched (done this numerous times). But, that won't work if there's a huge leak.

I really wish Nissan would include a spare or make it an optional accessory along w/the mounting hardware, like what's on Australian Leafs.

6yearstilbreakeven said:
My wife got a flat today, and Pep Boys would not plug the tire on the grounds that once a sealant is used, the plug leaks.

Yes, I guess it hasn't been mentioned lately on MNL, but "DON'T use the can of slime if you have a flat!". This is the first of heard of someone not repairing a gooped tire. In the past, the sealant has been shunned because it ruins the expensive tire pressure monitors. What was Nissan thinking??

There are sealants that are supposedly TPMS safe, but I don't know if the stock LEAF one is. I would HOPE so...

keydiver said:
Yes, I guess it hasn't been mentioned lately on MNL, but "DON'T use the can of slime if you have a flat!". This is the first of heard of someone not repairing a gooped tire. In the past, the sealant has been shunned because it ruins the expensive tire pressure monitors. What was Nissan thinking??
Nissan was thinking of ways of selling more expensive tire pressure monitors...and expensive replacement cans of Nissan-branded tire goop. :D

Go to another tire shop. Pay them extra to clean it. Will be less than a new tire. Go to Wal-Mart and get the gooey yarn plugs. Cost about $7.00 for the plugs and the tools. I've run these for 2-3 years with no problems.

GeekEV said:
There are sealants that are supposedly TPMS safe, but I don't know if the stock LEAF one is. I would HOPE so...
'Fraid not. It says right there in the owner's manual in bold type:
  • Do not inject any tire liquid or aerosol tire sealant into the tires, as this may cause a malfunction of the tire pressure sensors.
  • If you used the Emergency Tire Sealant to repair a minor tire puncture, your NISSAN certified LEAF dealer will also need to replace the TPMS sensor in addition to repairing or replacing the tire.
There have been a number of reports here of people paying $300-$400 to replace a tire because they used the goop. Go ahead and use the tire pump that came with the car. It's a good pump and you don't have to use the goop with it. As cwerdna suggests, it may let you limp home or to a tire shop. Shucks, I drove for a month with a nail in my tire, pumping it up every week or so until I had a good chance to get it fixed.

Ray

No need to use the goop unless you are stuck 100 miles from nowhere. Of course with LEAF's range that is not even possible. If the compressor alone cannot get you rolling call Nissan for a tow or AAA.

Fairly common knowledge any goop is last ditch effort and should be avoided when possible. Even a patch may not work. It got you there but now it is new tire time.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=169722#p169722" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; has a link to two products that claim they won't damage TPMS sensors. One of the links is dead now but I think http://www.fixaflat.com/products/tire-repair-kits/ultimate-1-step-tire-repair-kit/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is right.

I have no experience w/this stuff and would still avoid using it.

Thanks for the replies, everyone. Sadly, the air alone did not work...in addition, the goop did not work (whatever had punctured the tire, came out). I had the car towed home. Late last night I removed the tire, and washed the rim and tire. I spoke to Goodyear close to my home, and the also stated they would not plug a tire that had sealant run thru it. I'll check walmart today.

Walmart will plug it, but says they will not guarantee it...

To prevent this from happening again, I'm buying an aluminum spare...so far, it looks like the Rx7 or rx8 came with aluminum spares that weight about 20lbs...with the correct bolt pattern.

I'm never far away enough from civilization in my Leaf to feel the need to use the slime. I'd rather call for some help and take the tire off and get it fixed. I would only use the slime as a last resort, knowing that it will have ruined my tire.

adric22 said:
I'm never far away enough from civilization in my Leaf to feel the need to use the slime. I'd rather call for some help and take the tire off and get it fixed. I would only use the slime as a last resort, knowing that it will have ruined my tire.

well said. We tried the air first - wouldn't hold. My wife had the kids in the car, on a busy highway and figured the slime my her second best bet. When the slime failed (didn't even help a little) she called the tow company.

smkettner said:
I would wait to get a spare until after the free Nissan towing runs out.

Georgia has a roadside assistance program called "Hero" (highway emergency response organization??)...the hero driver was going to "change her tire" for her...the Hero was on the spot in under 10 minutes...This is just me, but having a spare tire that could get you off a busy highway in 20minutes versus waiting 2 hours for a tow....2 kids in a car with traffic passing you at 70mph less than 6 inches away....20lbs spare tire is cheaper insurance.

6yearstilbreakeven said:
My wife got a flat today, and Pep Boys would not plug the tire on the grounds that once a sealant is used, the plug leaks. Basically we're going to have to spend 160 to replace the tire. Has this happened to anyone else?

i have had 2 tires plugged. get someone else to do it. Pep Boys obviously doesnt know what they are doing. if they are using sealant in the first place, you need to run!

here is what plugs can fix

2012-05-08_11-25-16_439.jpg

Jeez, Dave, think that photo's BIG enough? I can't see the whole thing even on a 24" monitor. :lol:

Glad I wasn't using a phone or tablet!

That is just a normal puncture pictured, nothing extreme. BTW Nissan provided the goop not Pep Boys.
The goop tends to prevent the RTV glue from combining with the rubber properly.

Back