Flat Tire can't be plugged due to use of Leaf's sealant

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DaveinOlyWA said:
6yearstilbreakeven said:
if they are using sealant in the first place, you need to run!

here is what plugs can fix

No, pep boys/good year aren't using sealant. they have both stated that the sealant provided by nissan (in lieu of a spare) will not allow the plugs to seal correctly.

smkettner said:
I understand... and did you really wait two hours for the first tow?

Yes, but to be honest - she picked the worst time and place to get a flat - top end 285 heading west at 5:45pm. It took me an hour to get to her, and I was only 11 miles away.

smkettner said:
The goop tends to prevent the RTV glue from combining with the rubber properly.

Pretty much what all the tire shops have said - I had no idea. I gave it a good, good cleaning - hopefully it'll be fine....I think I'm more worried about the sensor...we'll see.

I had a conversation with a Nissan Tech the other day and he told me that Nissan Canada will fix your flat tire after you have used the goop for free, including a new sensor. I hope I never have to find out if he is right but has anybody asked Nissan USA if they will fix the tire?

Bigboler said:
I had a conversation with a Nissan Tech the other day and he told me that Nissan Canada will fix your flat tire after you have used the goop for free, including a new sensor. I hope I never have to find out if he is right but has anybody asked Nissan USA if they will fix the tire?

I'm adding this to my list of "Reasons Canada is Awesome" (especially your area).

I called the dealership yesterday and told them the story....nothing. I don't know if the sensor is damaged yet - I had to drop the tire off, and haven't been able to pick it up yet. If the sensor is damaged, seems only fair they replace it...but I won't hold my breath.

Thanks Bigboler

I had an aluminum spare in the garage (that doesn't fit) and a steel spare....for fun I weighted them The aluminum came in at 23lbs and the steel 27lbs...I was thinking the aluminum would be much lighter, but nope.

Looks like the 2002 and up altima's spare is a direct fit....found this cool site.

http://www.roadkillcustoms.com/hot-rods-rat-rods/Wheel-Bolt-Pattern-Cross-Reference-Database.asp?Makes=Mazda&Models=RX-7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

oh so you used the sealer that came with the LEAF? didnt know that. ya, that should have been thrown away on day one. you have roadside. call them and have them haul you to get the tire fixed

6yearstilbreakeven said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
oh so you used the sealer that came with the LEAF?

Yes, my wife used the sealer....it's actually in the subject line of the this thread :roll:

My LEAF came with roadside free for 3 years, did yours? I also have it with my car insurance and used it the other day (it was faster) when I had my tire issues.

[/quote]
My LEAF came with roadside free for 3 years, did yours? I also have it with my car insurance and used it the other day (it was faster) when I had my tire issues.[/quote]

Pretty sure all LEAFs come with roadside for 3 years..we also have AAA...if you read back a little, you'll see why we tried the sealant first.

Hello All from the UK
Well, I took delivery of a Nissan spacesave wheel and Continental tyre today. My Dealerordered them up for me and fitted the tyre to the rim at no cost. The total Price was £153, £70 for the Wheel and £80 for the Tyre. ( considering a tin of Tyre filler is £40 I reckon that is quite good)
The Part Numbers are :
Wheel : N403001YA7A
Tyre: Continental :T12590R1698MC
Tyre Size:125/90/16

I have deflated the tyre slightly and it fits nicely in the boot well. I have cut a piece of corrugated plastic to act as a higher floor and covered it all with a boot mat. As you can see I have filled the voids around the wheel with odds and sods so as not to waste space. The boot floor is obviously 50% shallower but I shall no longer worry about a flat tyre. I shall use the compressor to reinflate the tyre if necessary... Pictures on uk forum:

http://www.leaftalk.co.uk/showthread.php/3572-Punctures-and-spares/page2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Best Regards. Darren B.

I was told that I have lifetime towing for free. At least that's what the salesman told me. I have free towing with my car insurance and I have a 5 year tire & wheel protection plan that has free towing as well.

But the other night I had a blow-out and that sealant did nothing, it just poured out of the tire. So while I was waiting for the tow truck I ordered a Nissan Altima Spare tire and a jack and this Thread shows how I installed it in my Leaf without losing any trunk space: http://tinyurl.com/mhbds49" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sal

My LEAF came with roadside free for 3 years, did yours? I also have it with my car insurance and used it the other day (it was faster) when I had my tire issues.[/quote]

Pretty sure all LEAFs come with roadside for 3 years..we also have AAA...if you read back a little, you'll see why we tried the sealant first.[/quote]

Leaf's sealant (continental conti mobility kit):

1. Wife used it on a flat. unfortunately the tire was blown so we had goop running out of the tire all over the garage floor. Did not fix flat of course. With no spare had to get a tow.

2. Replacement canister.
During routine service i asked Nissan to replace the used canister. Estimate $90. Actual cost: $189 !!!
a) go to tire rack instead - 1/4th the price.
b) Nissan did not even install it, just left it on the passenger seat.
c) I gather the hose needs replacing too - Nissan did not include that.

Bad job, Nissan - and real gouging. I plan to return the canister and buy from tire rack.

planet4ever said:
GeekEV said:
There are sealants that are supposedly TPMS safe, but I don't know if the stock LEAF one is. I would HOPE so...
'Fraid not. It says right there in the owner's manual in bold type:
  • Do not inject any tire liquid or aerosol tire sealant into the tires, as this may cause a malfunction of the tire pressure sensors.
  • If you used the Emergency Tire Sealant to repair a minor tire puncture, your NISSAN certified LEAF dealer will also need to replace the TPMS sensor in addition to repairing or replacing the tire.
There have been a number of reports here of people paying $300-$400 to replace a tire because they used the goop. Go ahead and use the tire pump that came with the car. It's a good pump and you don't have to use the goop with it. As cwerdna suggests, it may let you limp home or to a tire shop. Shucks, I drove for a month with a nail in my tire, pumping it up every week or so until I had a good chance to get it fixed.

Ray
a tire pump came with my leaf?? where is it?

epic said:
planet4ever said:
GeekEV said:
There are sealants that are supposedly TPMS safe, but I don't know if the stock LEAF one is. I would HOPE so...
'Fraid not. It says right there in the owner's manual in bold type:
  • Do not inject any tire liquid or aerosol tire sealant into the tires, as this may cause a malfunction of the tire pressure sensors.
  • If you used the Emergency Tire Sealant to repair a minor tire puncture, your NISSAN certified LEAF dealer will also need to replace the TPMS sensor in addition to repairing or replacing the tire.
There have been a number of reports here of people paying $300-$400 to replace a tire because they used the goop. Go ahead and use the tire pump that came with the car. It's a good pump and you don't have to use the goop with it. As cwerdna suggests, it may let you limp home or to a tire shop. Shucks, I drove for a month with a nail in my tire, pumping it up every week or so until I had a good chance to get it fixed.

Ray
a tire pump came with my leaf?? where is it?
In the rear drivers quarter panel, accessible from the inside hatch area by flipping a tab on a plastic access panel.
Note it works great! much better than any similar small pump I've used(and very quiet to boot). Not that I had occasion to use it for my Leaf but I did on a large wheeled wagon, pumped up all 4 wheels from basically flat in a very quick time, very very nice pump IMO.

I've read the horror stories about using the Nissan slime fix. So, one of the first things I did when I got my Leaf was to put a sticky-yarn plug kit in the little compartment with the compressor.

I actually had to use it the other day. But, the puncture was a small nail that wasn't leaking very fast, so it wasn't a roadside emergency.

I've plugged many leaky tires with the sticky yarn. I've even used it many times on my 80psi truck tires. I've never had one fail. I just keep running them till the tread wears out. I know I've replaced tires with 4 plugs in them.

Obviously, they can't fix a blowout, or a slashed sidewall. But, in my experience, they will fix 90% of the leaks you will get.

The only problem is that it takes a lot of hand strength to install them. I'm a fairly normal sized guy, and sometimes it takes all I've got to get the rasp tool in the hole to clean it out / enlarge it for the plug. I would imagine that there are a lot of women out there that would really struggle with them. Also, I wouldn't want to try installing one on the side of the road if I had never done one before. They aren't complicated, and they come with instructions... Still, there are a few tricks that are good to know.

mike

I never bought a replacement canister. I have a spare tire, jack and tools.

I have used the pump to pump up my nephews slip and slide though.

RickR said:
Leaf's sealant (continental conti mobility kit):

1. Wife used it on a flat. unfortunately the tire was blown so we had goop running out of the tire all over the garage floor. Did not fix flat of course. With no spare had to get a tow.

2. Replacement canister.
During routine service i asked Nissan to replace the used canister. Estimate $90. Actual cost: $189 !!!
a) go to tire rack instead - 1/4th the price.
b) Nissan did not even install it, just left it on the passenger seat.
c) I gather the hose needs replacing too - Nissan did not include that.

Bad job, Nissan - and real gouging. I plan to return the canister and buy from tire rack.

To properly patch a tire to meet safety standards a shop must inspect and then die grind the inside of the casing around the puncture so they can install a Cold Vulcanized T-Patch which must be perfectly sealed from the inside of the casing all the way through the puncture to the surface of the tires tread.

Since its basically impossible to get the slime cleaned out from between the tires belting in order to make a 100% weather tight seal between the tread and the belting most suppliers of patches will not guarantee them if the tire has been slimed as water can then get into the cord belts and rot them from the inside leading to a tread separation and/or a zippered blowout. Tire belting that gets wet between the layers sandwiched inside the casing (especially steel belts) can fail suddenly and become lethal to bystanders. Picture a rusty steel porcupine blowing up with 50 to 80 psi of pressure in it.

Yes some shops will just plug them and hope for the best sending you off with false assurances that all is well however they really can't guarantee your safety when they plug a slimed tire.

Be mindful that rope patches are considered temporary fixes to get you to a shop where the tire can be dismounted from the rim, inspected and T-Patched with a Vulcanized patch, Yes many get away with running the tire to death on rope patches however they are not really meant to be permanent fixes though some may present them as such. A tire shop who holds to the highest standards and has high regard for their customers safety won't patch a slimed tire or one that shows any signs of damage to the belting. Many will also refuse to touch a tire if there is any sign that an aerosol can of Flat Fix was used on it because too many use Propane or Butane Gas as the propellant to inflate the tire which presents an explosion hazard.

My Father was a chemical engineer who designed rubber formulations for tires and my Uncle designed, built and maintained Vulcanizers. They each had around 50 experience working in the industry and then kept up with the engineering after they retired. They were very strict about tire care and really drilled it into us.

I will be getting a new tire plug kit with T-Handled tools to insert plugs in the tires on my Leaf if I get a flat from a puncture that is an inch or more from the sidewall while I am out and about. Any thing worse than a puncture from a nail or screw and Good Sams will be called for a flatbed to get the car off the road. Yes a light compact spare and a jack to go with the supplied handle that is already inside the Leaf is becoming a serious consideration however I am not sure if I will go that route.

A couple of thoughts... Yes, patching the tire from the inside is much better. I do it myself when I have the time to take off the tire from the rim at home.. However, most repair places will refuse to do the inside patch. Once, I have even had a Cadillac dealer service manager tell me that they will ONLY put a plug in the tire for a flat...

In the old days, I carried a spare, and X tire iron, and a rolling hydraulic jack in my trunk. I just swapped the tire and was on my way. But I was young and strong then. Today, people don't want to work at changing a tire. They have insurance for a tow truck..

I have been driving for 40 years and can tell you the following about flat tires.... I have NEVER had a blowout or had an immediate flat tire while I was driving. ALMOST ALL flat tires are the result of a slow leak in the tire caused by a nail or screw that is stuck in the tire... If this is the case, or got flat while the car was parked, you can get home or to a garage with just a good 12v air compressor. Fill up the tire, and see if the tire stays filled for a few minutes. If yes, you can drive the car 3, 4, 5 miles and then check the tire again. I have often got home like this and fixed the tire at my convenience. You do not necessarily need to put in the tire slime if you have a flat tire.

If you fill up the tire and there is a noticeable leak, FORGET the Nissan slime. Buy a $10-15 bottle of GREEN SLIME at the auto parts store and use that. Then fill up the tire with air, and 98% of the time you will get home. The GREEN SLIME is a water-based product that is like jello, and will wash off easily and not hurt the inside of your tire.

SO - Use air compressor, check for leaks, if necessary use slime. Anything bigger call tow truck... Or do like me.. change the tire with a spare.

Powersurge - There is a big difference in driving mainly in the Northern States and the Deep South where tread separation and blowouts are an all to common event. 95 degree humid days riding on 120+ degree roadways with even a moderately damaged or low tire is the recipe for a blowout. Age too is a bigger factor in the South where any tire over 5 years old is a hazard.

The local Wholesale Club will completely dismount a tire to inspect inside the casing for internal damage before patching. I purchase most of my tires there due to their pretty liberal road hazard warranty and they are very good about removing any temporary plugs I put in and either patching or replacing the tire under warranty. They twice replaced a full set for my daughter on her Jeep when she ran over some debris dropped by trucks in front of her one time and hit a washout the other.

Thanks,

Rocky

Good Info Rockynv.. I guess in NY cars and tires don't deal with that heat.. Also, I think that down south mechanics are more thorough with their work... I think in NY they wont take the extra 2 minutes to remove a tire from a rim to repair because they are watching the clock and would rather sell you a new one.....

Back