2013 S Not Charging at Some Stations

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^^^
Yeah, thanks to that person for posting it. Was interesting.

http://sfbayleafs.org/news/2013/01/2013-nissan-leaf-product-highlights/attachment/13leafproduct8/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; also briefly the integration and there were some pics at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10934" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

In person, I've only physically seen what was the equivalent of the '13 SL w/Bose stereo. It was the exact same unit that was brought to the Phoenix meeting and pictured at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=257096#p257096" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Sorry, I haven't been keeping up with this thread.

Since I was experiencing problems with only the Volta stations around here (using Eaton EVSE), I contacted a friend who is an executive for the company. He informed me that their newer stations were having firmware issues with newer EVs. They are working on it. I'm not sure how EVs communicate with EVSEs so I'm not sure where the firmware plays in there so I just took his word for it. Been re-connecting at the station by my house twice now and still not working yet.

GerryAZ said:
The onboard charger should draw only what the pilot signal from the EVSE allows. If the pilot signal only allows 5 amperes (for example), either the 3.3 or 6.6 kW onboard chargers should only draw 5 amperes, regardless of the voltage. The 3.3 kW charger in the 2013 S is different than the chargers used in 2011 and 2012 models.
Actually a 5 amp pilot is not possible according to the J1772 spec. The minimum allowed is 6 amps.

-Phil

Ingineer said:
GerryAZ said:
The onboard charger should draw only what the pilot signal from the EVSE allows. If the pilot signal only allows 5 amperes (for example), either the 3.3 or 6.6 kW onboard chargers should only draw 5 amperes, regardless of the voltage. The 3.3 kW charger in the 2013 S is different than the chargers used in 2011 and 2012 models.
Actually a 5 amp pilot is not possible according to the J1772 spec. The minimum allowed is 6 amps.

-Phil
Phil,

Thanks for correcting me--I just wanted to use a low current as an example and did not take the time to look up the minimum in the SAE specification. Thank you for all of your efforts to support the EV community. I am patiently waiting for LEAFSCAN and using my Rev. 1 EVSE upgrade whenever I need to charge away from home.

Gerry

Did the folks having this issue get it resolved. This is from the later/similar thread:

braineo said:
I've heard that Nissan did a change in the protocol that is not standard and affects two types of charging stations. Both manufacturers are aware of the problem and one of them made changes in their product going forward to handle Nissan's change and the other one is so p'od because Nissan went off the standard.

But I'm just a bystander on this one. I have no further information.

It might or might not appy to you since you charged for 9 days before your problem started.

Our Nissan dealer confirmed that the problem is with all 2013 SV and SL Leafs and that Nissan is apparently making a fix a priority. In addition, the manufacturers of the incompatible chargers (manufactured by, I believe Volta and/or an affiliated company) are also working with Nissan. As a result, I still can't charge at 90% of all public charging stations here in Hawaii. However, I am somewhat reassured that Nissan is fixing the problem.

At the same time, I can't believe this wasn't tested adequately before the product was released. I understand that there are going to be small setbacks with any new technology, but I certainly hope these guys start fixing this problem before they get sued. I love my Leaf, but am really annoyed by this.

Hi there,

Just got a 13 Leaf SV, and I am having problems charging it at some Eaton L2 stations. Looking at the Style of the units, SKR3B3ML0000 does not work for me (works very intermittently and only after resets), but SAR3BX000000 works every time. All of these are 91C3262 REV 2.

Also, there is a 13 Leaf SL charging pretty much without problems on the SKR3B3ML0000, which makes this even more strange.

Although I enjoy the efficiency and the way our 2013 Leaf SL drives, buyer beware.

90% of the public charging stations I've tried in Hawaii do not work with the 2013 Leaf SV and SL.Our Nissan dealer confirmed that the problem is with all or a very significant number of 2013 SV and SL Leafs and that Nissan is apparently making a fix a priority. In addition, the manufacturers of the incompatible chargers (manufactured by, I believe Volta and/or an affiliated company) are also working with Nissan. As a result, I still can't charge at 90% of all public charging stations here in Hawaii. However, I am somewhat reassured that Nissan is fixing the problem.

At the same time, I can't believe this wasn't tested adequately before the product was released. I understand that there are going to be small setbacks with any new technology, but I certainly hope these guys start fixing this problem before they get sued. I love my Leaf, but am really annoyed by this.

So, my suggested "Enhancement / Change Request" is to fix this basic functionality of the car however that's done (software update, hardware upgrade, whatever).

ksnogas2112 said:
Wow Briny, that sucks. Be sure you post this to evchels and the team in case they haven't seen this thread. That's inexcusable.

Thanks for alerting me to this- can't add much yet, but have forwarded to others in TN to see what I can find out...

Sounds like somebody isn't obeying the J1772 spec. It'll be interesting to see who's fault it is. It's not necessarily Nissan's; it could be that they changed something they were entitled to change but that the EVSE didn't accept the still-legal EV interface.

In fact, if the uncooperative EVSEs are Ecotality/Blink's, I'd almost bet that any problem is their fault...

Do we really need another thread for this?

Already discussed at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=12099" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Perhaps the OP of that thread or the mods can edit its title?

brinypickle said:
Although I enjoy the efficiency and the way our 2013 Leaf SL drives, buyer beware.

90% of the public charging stations I've tried in Hawaii do not work with the 2013 Leaf SV and SL.Our Nissan dealer confirmed that the problem is with all or a very significant number of 2013 SV and SL Leafs and that Nissan is apparently making a fix a priority. In addition, the manufacturers of the incompatible chargers (manufactured by, I believe Volta and/or an affiliated company) are also working with Nissan. As a result, I still can't charge at 90% of all public charging stations here in Hawaii. However, I am somewhat reassured that Nissan is fixing the problem.

So, my suggested "Enhancement / Change Request" is to fix this basic functionality of the car however that's done (software update, hardware upgrade, whatever).

the 10% you can charge at? is there a brand that is working or is it just random?

Just an update on this: Upgrading the firmware on Eaton stations has fixed the problem for us. Now all the Leafs charge just fine.

I know this issue has been somewhat resolved, but I think it is in the best interest of all to post a workaround to the Eaton charger firmware update.
I am crossposting this issue from: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=12346 for better visibility.
My local public stations, other than Nissan dealerships, are non-updated Eaton models, and I sincerely doubt the owners either know of the updates or are technically competent to perform the updates. On that note, I anticipate many others are also experiencing this issue with 2013 Leafs.
I did discover a workaround of:
1. Plug in J1772 connector
2. Observe charging station fault light
3. Power on car
4. Press Reset button on EVSE
5. Observe dash lights indicating charging
6. Power off car and enjoy the rest of your day.
note: pressing reset button on EVSE without power cycling Leaf will result in nothing happening.

All affected, please post whether or not you have success with this method.

Thanks @joewaters. I will try this out on Monday. I can't get my car to charge on a eaton charge at work and I keep getting the fault problem that everyone has been talking on the forum.

Did this workaround work for anyone else on this thread.

I tried joewaters' steps but I still couldn't get it to work. nrsudhir, did you get it to work?

joewaters, you have a different procedure in your other post.

"I plug in, power on the car, then power down again, and reset the EVSE, I can get it to charge just fine."

Do you reset the EVSE first or power up & down first?

Back