San Diego Leaf Fanatics!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
drees said:
Tony and bobsfreeleaf will be doing a range test today. They need a gidmeter and a 2012 LEAF. Details here:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=11682" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'd still like to run a 2012 LEAF in the near future. Thanks,

Tony

PlutoISaPlanet said:
picked up a Silver Type "S" today. Think if I get painted with Car2Go colors I'll be able to swing free public parking?
Congrats! I will look out for you. What part of San Diego are you in? I have yet to see another S on the road here. Bob

bobsfreeleaf said:
Congrats! I will look out for you. What part of San Diego are you in? I have yet to see another S on the road here. Bob
Really? I've seen a ton. I can be found driving between Escondido and Little Italy.

PlutoISaPlanet said:
bobsfreeleaf said:
Really? I've seen a ton. I can be found driving between Escondido and Little Italy.
That's a pretty good commute. I drive the 163 mostly, but rarely see more than 2 a day (one is one of my neighbors). When I look for the solor panel, its always there, signifying an SV/SL. Also, still not many S models in inventory on the web. I still suspect there are 10 times as many SL/SV's as S models. Are you switching out the speakers??? I hear the infinity's work well. Best Buy in Mira Mesa said they will work on the Leaf. Thx, Bob

bobsfreeleaf said:
That's a pretty good commute. I drive the 163 mostly, but rarely see more than 2 a day (one is one of my neighbors). When I look for the solor panel, its always there, signifying an SV/SL. Also, still not many S models in inventory on the web. I still suspect there are 10 times as many SL/SV's as S models. Are you switching out the speakers??? I hear the infinity's work well. Best Buy in Mira Mesa said they will work on the Leaf. Thx, Bob

It is a hefty commute. I do it twice a week for school. I currently can't do it two days in a row w/ just the trickle charge. Looking forward to getting the a charger installed here at home. I went with the 6.6 upgrade on my "S." The other three days of the week I'm just going 8 miles to the office

I thought you meant you hadn't seen any Leafs around, not just "S"s. I'm not sure I'd really know how to spot the difference. I'm sure you're right that these are rarer but it seems they're flying off the lots as soon as dealers get them.

I'd be open to switching out the speakers but as you noticed in my thread about the bluetooth music that's first on my wishlist. I'll keep an eye out to see if you get your speakers done.

PlutoISaPlanet said:
I thought you meant you hadn't seen any Leafs around, not just "S"s. I'm not sure I'd really know how to spot the difference.

Unless they have been changed out, the Leaf S is easiest to spot by the wheels, which are black painted steel with plastic hubcaps on them. The 2013 SL has 17 inch alloys that were previously unavailable; the wheels of all 2011/2012 Leafs are the same 16 inch alloys as what comes with the 2013 SV.

PlutoISaPlanet said:
could anyone point me to the San Diego charge spots thread on here? I saw it a few days ago but now can't find it.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=131563" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.PlugShare.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

thanks.
Is there a resource for what these different kinds of chargers entail? So far I've figured out:

Blink has a membership that reduces the cost from $2.00 for the base guest rate down to $1.50 for a free membership and $1.00 for the plus membership that has a $30/yr. fee but is free through the rest of 2013. They'll mail you a membership card after signup.

ChargePoint requires a $5.00 fee to obtain a membership card and if you put a $25.00 balance and credit card on file they'll give you your first two charges for free. Unsure of their rates. Was poking around the Sea World chargers today (didn't take the Leaf) and it seemed like it would only accept credit cards that had the tap to pay feature... ? Didn't see a slot card reader. Rates weren't published but they're listed here as free. Didn't seem like it was free to me but that was the first one I've looked at.

Any others I should know about?

PlutoISaPlanet said:
ChargePoint requires a $5.00 fee to obtain a membership card and if you put a $25.00 balance and credit card on file they'll give you your first two charges for free. Unsure of their rates.

ChargePoint's rates vary. I believe the owner of the property who has them put in determines how much to charge.

Most of the ChargePoint stations that I have used are $2/hour, but when replying to a new Leafer in Ventura I noticed that the City of Ventura only charges 50 cents per hour. The ChargePoint stations at SoCalEdison's office in Irwindale are free though..

PlugShare.com will tell you whose network (if any) a certain charger belongs to, as well as the cost.

Did you guys see this article about San Diego Charging stations being built here?
http://www.kpbs.org/news/2012/oct/02/san-diego-add-117-charging-stations-electric-cars/ Seems to me I read it was going to be a dollar a KW before; and now it says 50 cents. Thx, Bob

By the way, went to my son's little league game in Scripps Ranch, and when I got back to the parking lot there was a red Leaf parked right next to me. I chuckled and took a picture. Now if we could get one L2 charger in ANY of the shopping centers in Scripps! I actually needed a charge yesterday after I passed the 50 mile mark running the kids around, and would have gone shopping anywhere with a level II. Instead I went home :(

By the way, Plugshare is totally annoying and hard to use. I would love to see a screen with only available, non broken, Public, L2 chargers. Maybe there is a way, that I havn't figured out. Everything else seems like emergency time. Thx, Bob

bobsfreeleaf said:
By the way, Plugshare is totally annoying and hard to use. I would love to see a screen with only available, non broken, Public, L2 chargers. Maybe there is a way, that I havn't figured out. Everything else seems like emergency time. Thx, Bob

Are you using the smartphone app or the web version? For the app, tap on the upper left corner (where the 3 lines are) and then tap on "Filters." I have a 2012 SV with no quick charge port, so I turned off Quick Charge (CHAdeMO) and turned on EV Plug (J1772). I also turned off all the Tesla outlets as I can't use them, and I also turned off Wall Outlet (120 v) since I'm not interested in those. In addition I turned off Residential Chargers and Access Restricted chargers, leaving the rest on.

When done, click on the upper left again, and click on "Map" to get you back to the map.

The web version is easier but not as customizable. Basically you check or uncheck Residential Chargers, Public Stations, High Power Stations (fast chargers) , and In-Use Stations.

RonDawg said:
bobsfreeleaf said:

Are you using the smartphone app or the web version? For the app, tap on the upper left corner (where the 3 lines are) and then tap on "Filters." I have a 2012 SV with no quick charge port, so I turned off Quick Charge (CHAdeMO) and turned on EV Plug (J1772). I also turned off all the Tesla outlets as I can't use them, and I also turned off Wall Outlet (120 v) since I'm not interested in those. In addition I turned off Residential Chargers and Access Restricted chargers, leaving the rest on.

When done, click on the upper left again, and click on "Map" to get you back to the map.

The web version is easier but not as customizable. Basically you check or uncheck Residential Chargers, Public Stations, High Power Stations (fast chargers) , and In-Use Stations.
Thanks. Will give that a try. I am using the Smartphone (not necessarily Smartuser!)

Saw FOUR leafs today, one of which is a neighbor a block away. Somethings going on here in Scripps. It's a revolution :lol:
I noticed a sweet new Red (my new favorite color) Leaf trucking up the hill (way too fast), and I tried to catch their eye. Failing that, I started to honk. He could not hear me! Seems to me, I've had farts louder than this horn.... :mrgreen:

Quick question for San Diego Leafers:

Can you drive a fully charged Leaf from North County San Diego to Costa Mesa or Laguna Beach without stopping to recharge?

GREENEV said:
Quick question for San Diego Leafers:

Can you drive a fully charged Leaf from North County San Diego to Costa Mesa or Laguna Beach without stopping to recharge?

Yes. There is a CHAdeMO charger about in the middle in San Juan Capistrano, also.

I can drive from Tierrasanta to 52 to 805 to 5 up to San Juan Capistrano on 10 bars by driving reasonably on the freeway (60ish mph)...

Greenev, I can easily make it from Rancho Santa Fe to Laguna. Laguna has free chargers.

Back