FYI: NISSAN DC FAST CHARGERS UPDATE

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TonyWilliams said:
GREENEV said:
Hi Tony,
Sorry, I thought I heard(assumed) San Diego County Nissan Dealers were getting Nissan DCQC's.

Are you saying eight Nissan dealers in San Diego have turned down the free DCQC's?

There are only two owners for 8 dealers. To my knowledge (which may not be accurate), none have accepted "free" chargers.

wow, what a monopoly. surprised that anyone can get a decent deal there

kovalb said:
The actual reason many DC quick chargers cannot operate at higher altitudes is Paschen’s law http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paschen's_law. Arcing can occur. [...] It may be possible to have a DC-QC operate at higher altitude by de-rating it by having it charge at a slower rate.
This isn't possible, because the breakdown only relates to voltage. Reducing the charge current won't have any effect, and since the battery is at 400 volts, the charger has to be at 400 volts also.

It also seems to me that putting a fast charger at the top of a mountain isn't nearly as useful as putting it at the bottom, since you need all that juice to get up there. You get some of it back on the way down, at rates that rival the quick charger :) .

Back