2013 Leaf - Dead 12-Volt Battery every 2 Weeks

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Huminit said:
I've also had this happen twice to my 2013 sl.
Welcome to the forum, Huminit!

Can you please tell us a bit more about your issues? Do you think it could be due to inadvertent double-presses of the On-Off button putting the car into ACC just before you get out?

I've had my 2013 SV for two weeks and I woke up to a dead 12V battery this morning.

My wife or I drove it every day since we got it. On Friday we only drove <10 miles, and it sat all day Saturday. (Plugged in, but not charging.) Then today (Sunday) we found it dead. My "smart" charger said "fault" which means the sensed voltage was less than 10V, so I hooked up my dumb charger and the car immediately started fine.

I've had my 13 SV for about 2 weeks now too, and have yet to have any battery issues.. Make sure you're not accidentally putting it into accessory mode instead of off is my only guess.. (and that she isn't either).. something has to be draining the battery.

I'm guessing, after searching the forum for "12V", that it was the fact that I left it plugged into the EVSE for 2 days.

Any thread where people mention a problem leaving it plugged in, the phrase "for more than a day" is used. :)

What is the 12V load when the EVSE is plugged in? I must be close to 1A? (I don't have an ammeter.)

Staque said:
I'm guessing, after searching the forum for "12V", that it was the fact that I left it plugged into the EVSE for 2 days.

Any thread where people mention a problem leaving it plugged in, the phrase "for more than a day" is used. :)

What is the 12V load when the EVSE is plugged in? I must be close to 1A? (I don't have an ammeter.)
That shouldn't do it. I wouldn't expect an issue unless the car had been left plugged in for 2-4 weeks, not 2 days. There's something wrong.

DanBaldwin said:
Out of curiosity I checked my 2012 SL, and it doesn't run the dc/dc converter in accessory mode, or in on mode, only in ready mode.

Well now I have to share a story.

I was at a hockey game about a month ago. I had the car in ON mode playing music as we tailgated. I thought I turned it off when we left, but maybe I didn't. My wife left her purse (with a fob in it) in the trunk (BTW, I am not condoning this practice! I'm against it!).

When we came out a couple hours later, I notice the car's headlights and taillights are on (I keep the lights on AUTO so obviously when it got dark while we were inside, the lights came on), the dash is on (I'm pretty sure it was in ON though and not READY), and the third blue dash LED is lit (I'd never seen that one lit before so I looked up in the manual what that meant, and it meant the 12V battery was charging).

I suppose it is possible that my recollection is not good, but I'm pretty sure the car was not in READY, but rather just ON.

davewill said:
Staque said:

That shouldn't do it. I wouldn't expect an issue unless the car had been left plugged in for 2-4 weeks, not 2 days. There's something wrong.

actually can take as little as 3-5 days. but a new battery should last 2 days easily. it takes time for the LEAF "charging" system to wear the battery down

lpickup said:
DanBaldwin said:
Out of curiosity I checked my 2012 SL, and it doesn't run the dc/dc converter in accessory mode, or in on mode, only in ready mode.

Well now I have to share a story.

I was at a hockey game about a month ago. I had the car in ON mode playing music as we tailgated. I thought I turned it off when we left, but maybe I didn't. My wife left her purse (with a fob in it) in the trunk (BTW, I am not condoning this practice! I'm against it!).

When we came out a couple hours later, I notice the car's headlights and taillights are on (I keep the lights on AUTO so obviously when it got dark while we were inside, the lights came on), the dash is on (I'm pretty sure it was in ON though and not READY), and the third blue dash LED is lit (I'd never seen that one lit before so I looked up in the manual what that meant, and it meant the 12V battery was charging).

I suppose it is possible that my recollection is not good, but I'm pretty sure the car was not in READY, but rather just ON.

Being in 'On' does the same thing as being 'in Ready" (it's like being in 'ignition mode' on an ICE, but not starting the engine..) the computer and everything else are still sitting there running... the blue light was on because the DC to DC converter was recharging the 12v battery so it didn't die.

Very shortly after I got my Leaf, I accidentally left it on in the parking structure at work... When I came back out 12 hours later, it was down to four bars (they were real bars in those days so indicated about a bar and a half less actual remaining charge than what we see today). I knew I'd not make it home (it was 26 miles and uphill) on that so I had to stop and charge en-route for about and hour (not an easy task to find an EVSE in those days)...

lpickup said:
I was at a hockey game about a month ago. I had the car in ON mode playing music as we tailgated. I thought I turned it off when we left, but maybe I didn't.

Staque said:

If you search, I'm pretty sure Ingineer quantified that drain profile somewhere along the way.

Iirc, the "dark current" with the car plugged in (but not charging the traction pack) was considerably higher than being unplugged, with the added insult that being plugged-in inhibits 12V top-off charging via the DC-DC converter, which otherwise occurs every 5 days.

If the 12V battery has already undergone one or more instances of being deeply drained, it may already have suffered permanent loss of capacity, so time before dying can get shorter and shorter.

sorphin said:
lpickup said:
DanBaldwin said:

Being in 'On' does the same thing as being 'in Ready" (it's like being in 'ignition mode' on an ICE, but not starting the engine..) the computer and everything else are still sitting there running... the blue light was on because the DC to DC converter was recharging the 12v battery so it didn't die.

Yes, I understand. I frequently put the car into ON mode when I do things like adjust my timers, etc.

The point is, however, that assuming my LEAF was in ON mode (and not READY), then that would run contrary to DanBaldwin's statement that the DC/DC converter does not run in ON mode.

AND, I'd like to add that had I done that in an ICE I would've needed a jump...as it was though I probably was only down a bar (if even that).

lpickup said:
The point is, however, that assuming my LEAF was in ON mode (and not READY), then that would run contrary to DanBaldwin's statement that the DC/DC converter does not run in ON mode.

AND, I'd like to add that had I done that in an ICE I would've needed a jump...as it was though I probably was only down a bar (if even that).

The DC to DC doesn't run if you're _plugged in_.

"Iirc, the "dark current" with the car plugged in (but not charging the traction pack) was considerably higher than being unplugged, with the added insult that being plugged-in inhibits 12V top-off charging via the DC-DC converter, which otherwise occurs every 5 days. "

If you leave the car in accessory mode, then open the door, the car will provide a continuous door ajar alert. I find that leaving the car in accessory is difficult to overlook. Prior to the Leaf I had an Infiniti M35 with the same keyfob / push to start button. I never left it in accessory.

Anyway, since my dead car incident on 4/29 the car's been fine. The only variables, are that I'm much more aware to ensure my car is off, prior to exiting. I also turned off the carwings auto-download at powerup feature (I got tired of google send-to-car updating the same addresses each time i powered up the vehicle)

sorphin said:
The DC to DC doesn't run if you're _plugged in_.

"Iirc, the "dark current" with the car plugged in (but not charging the traction pack) was considerably higher than being unplugged, with the added insult that being plugged-in inhibits 12V top-off charging via the DC-DC converter, which otherwise occurs every 5 days. "
The DC-DC runs anytime the main contactor is closed. This means, Ready mode, Active charging, remote/timer climate mode, or when the automatic 12v battery charge mode is activated. One suggestion I've made is to set a short charge timer once a day that would offset this, but it still then cycles the 12V a lot. The simplest and easiest is to simply disconnect the 12v negative terminal.

-Phil

My first thought when I read about the battery constantly going down,
was that the the radiator fans might be running. If the fan termperature
sensors are not connected, then the sensor values may float enough to
cause the fans to come on. Just a guess about the float, may not be true.

cliff said:
My first thought when I read about the battery constantly going down,
was that the the radiator fans might be running. If the fan termperature
sensors are not connected, then the sensor values may float enough to
cause the fans to come on. Just a guess about the float, may not be true.
The radiator fans will not do this, in addition, if they were somehow running, it would be immediately obvious, as they are noisy.

-Phil

Interesting anomaly occurred the other day- I parked, shut off the car, opened the door and heard the door ajar chime. I looked at the dash and the nav screen and they were black, suggesting the car was powered off. As I'm hyper sensitive to approaching the car the following day and discovering a dead battery, I'm more aware of how I exit the vehicle these days.

Upon powering off & exiting, the door ajar warnings should NOT sound (unless you have the car on, in accessory or have the headlights on)

My workaround was to power on the car, then shut it off again. This time, no chime with the door open. Haven't had a dead battery since 4/29.

Phatcat73 said:
Interesting anomaly occurred the other day- I parked, shut off the car, opened the door and heard the door ajar chime. I looked at the dash and the nav screen and they were black, suggesting the car was powered off. ...
The usual reason this happens t me is because of clicking the door handle just a tiny bit before hitting the power button. I never had it cause a dead battery, though.

Back