Open Vehicle Monitoring System

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A number of OVMS users are working with the Parrot ASTEROID Smart 2-DIN 'infotainment' system;

Parrot_ASTEROID_Smart.jpeg

I'm currently testing the system before fitting it in my Tesla. Here's the low light reversing camera;

IMG_2500_Low_Res.JPG

And a great video from an OVMS developer;

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gYApR6PfyY[/youtube]

Older Android 2.3 based, but only about $473 on Amazon.
However, there are several add-ons that one might need to buy.
Some Pro and Con user reviews at Amazon are worth reading.

6.2 inch screen, capacitive multi-touch.

Mentions WiFi capability, but only lists "11n",
not "b" or "g", but those might be assumed.

Apparently there are only a few apps on the Asteroid Store,
and there is no access to the Google Play Store.

Apparently user-installed apps are possible, but inhibited
from running unless the Parking Brake is on (or possibly
while moving?).

Thanks for the link, a nice idea.

garygid said:
Older Android 2.3 based
It's being jail broken and will then run anything you want :)

garygid said:
only about $473 on Amazon.
competitive with many of the high end audio systems I considered for my car.

garygid said:
Mentions WiFi capability, but only lists "11n",
not "b" or "g", but those might be assumed.
correct, they don't bother listing older standards but it just works.

garygid said:
Apparently there are only a few apps on the Asteroid Store,
and there is no access to the Google Play Store.
watch the OVMS developer video... this has already been cracked and Google Play installed.

garygid said:
Apparently user-installed apps are possible, but inhibited
from running unless the Parking Brake is on (or possibly
while moving?).
parking functionality is easily bypassed if you wish.

garygid said:
Thanks for the link, a nice idea.
It's a great example of mainstream platforms supporting open software enhancements... I'll be running OVMS with OpenChargeMap on this platform which will allow my EV to automatically locate Charging Stations within range and plot a route to the location :)

OVMS hardware is now available in the UK so no need for European customers to deal direct with China...

http://shop.zerocarbonworld.org/ev-accessories/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Note this is still Gen 1 hardware so only useful to Leaf owners who are prepared to help develop the project :)

There is now a specific Leaf development entry on the OVMS forum to capture efforts from multiple forums/people, etc.

If you are working on the Leaf or want to help, why not add a comment there.

Look forward to seeing you there.

I am interested in seeing new developments on this! I just got a new 2014 Leaf, S trim (the basic one). So no Carwings, and no nav system. I am already starting to miss the lack of remote charge monitoring.

Is this project dead? I cannot get the site to load. I was going to roll my own version of this based on the particle electron before I found out about this project.

OVMS for the Leaf is very active at the moment :)

Tom Parker wrote some great new Leaf code for the OVMS. All is running well and he even managed to get the remote climate control running!

I did some hacking on the Android app, to have some nice Leaf images and to make it run without Google apps.

You can read the story and find some links and files on my website:

http://www.arachnon.de/wb/pages/en/nissan-leaf/ovms.php

All credit for the code goes to Tom.

Enjoy ...

marxx

deanm0000 said:
Is the climate control function accessible in the S trim or only the SL and SV?

I've only tested on Japanese Domestic Market cars but so far the remote climate control has worked on all models prior to the 2016 model year. Models with Carwings or Nissan Connect need to have the TCU unplugged as this interferes with the OVMS's attempt to replace the TCU messages. Models without Carwings and Nissan Connect don't have a TCU and so it just works. Some first generation (2012 and earlier) cars need a small hardware modification to the OVMS and a wire connected to the TCU harness.

In the 2016 model year they moved the TCU from the EV CAN bus to the Car CAN bus and apparently changed the messages it sends. I have such a car for testing but I haven't yet tried to make it work. See the thread http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=24053 for more detail.

The OVMS hardware is out of stock at the moment, the (hopefully) final prototypes of the v3 hardware are being manufactured now.

The OVMSv2 hardware & Leaf support has been very reliable for me. Unfortunately this hardware is no longer available.

The v3 hardware is nearly finished. I have a prototype and have ported the Leaf support over. The v3 platform is much more capable but not quite stable yet. I believe the v3 hardware will be available in March, by which time, hopefully, the software will be done too.

I'm really looking forward to the v3 being available. I was already looking at how to put together a microcontroller and GSM modem for my 2015 S before I discovered OVMS. I'm really glad they're moving away from PIC and to ESP32 as well. Will make it a lot easier to work on (for me anyway) and contribute.

My end goals will be remote climate preheat via GSM/wifi (should be easy on the S it seems like) and sending data to an OpenEVSE to do charge limiting. It would be really ideal if there was a way to start/stop charging or change the charge timer via CAN on the S, to help with charge limiting while keeping climate timer & battery heater running of shore power, though I haven't seen anybody exploring any of that.

I've seen what looks like a few different websites and versions, any idea where to watch specifically for v3 hardware? The main website hasn't been updated in over a year.

I haven't really looked for a way to stop charging once it is started, it's possible Nissan did implement something but if they did, it's going to be reasonably hard to find because it isn't used by their Nissan Connect system. Jamming the CAN bus will probably stop charging but I'm not really keen to do that as it's unclear what side effects it might have.

I'm reasonably certain modifying the charge timers can be done from the CAN bus (and hence from OVMS and similar tools) but I haven't spent the time to reverse engineer the messages.

The best source of information on the v3 production is the mailing list at http://lists.teslaclub.hk/mailman/listinfo/ovmsdev

I'm curious, what are the advantages of using a custom built module over something like a raspberry pi with a usb obd2 tool with a hotspot?

Back