Schneider EVSE

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WarrenSE said:
BoulderLeaf said:
BoulderLeaf said:
Hi again,

I purchased the 2nd Generation Schneider EV Link (model EV230WS, as stated previously) and after receiving it I went on-line to register and just generally inspect it prior to installation Friday morning. I noticed that all was as expected, EXCEPT for the actual model number on the EV unit itself - the sticker on the unit itself still has the old model number (EV2430WS). The serial number (or what I suspect is the serial number) on that sticker matches what it stuck to the underside of the box, and the box has the new model number on it. And, the manuals all appear to be the new 2nd Generation ones. Plus, I received the new-style hose and connector holster with the female J1772 receptacle (but the bracket is missing the center mounting holes!). The actual EVLink housing also has the sticker for the free skin...

So, my question is, did I receive an actual 2nd Generation device, or did somehow a 1st Generation device get stuck in a 2nd Generation box (or something of the like)? Or, are the model numbers on the stickers of 2nd Generation devices still showing the model numbers of the 1st Generation devices?

Thanks for any help!

So, I figured this out and will post in case anyone else has the same issue.

I ended up calling Schneider today (and just as everyone else has said - they are super friendly and very responsive!). After some research by their tech and a callback after an hour or so, I found out that the deal is that at some point just before Christmas, when making the new 2nd Gen EVLinks, they ran out of the new model labels and so just used leftover labels with the old model number on them in order to not cause a delay in order fulfillment. There was a "pallet" or so worth of new 2nd Generation units that went out like this. The tech said that there is a date code on the lower right corner of the unit that they would go by for any warranty work, but I was at work when I called and not able to look at the charger to verify.

After I got home, I verified that I have the 2nd Generation by visually inspecting the housing differences that I found online with that unit I purchased. And yes, indeed, I do have the 2nd Generation device.

Strange, right?

BoulderLeaf,

I apologize for not having a response sooner! You are correct, the first few Gen 2 models were mistakenly printed with the old catalog number. We apologize for the confusion and any inconvenience it may have caused.

To recap and help anyone else, if you purchased a Gen 2 model (EV230WS) but the unit has a sticker/serial number "EV2430WS" you do have the newer unit. The Gen 1 model (EV2430WS) does not even have a serial number, rather just the model and date code.

Again, we apologize for any confusion, and if there are still any concerns or questions about the EVlink products, feel free to contact our support at the following number: 1-888-778- 2733

Thanks WarrenSE! I'll reiterate that when I called support, they were very friendly and helpful. And when I mentioned that I was having it installed the next day, the tech said that he'd do his best to get back to me that afternoon (which was a little tricky since it was about 4PM Eastern time), and he did. Amazing support.

Can I ask where the date code is? I looked all around but didn't see anything obvious. Mostly a curiosity at this point though.

I did end up getting it installed today, and it's been working great so far.

Thanks again!

All of the Schneider EVSEs are gone from Home Depot's website. They had them briefly on sale but "out of stock" now they are not even listed. Anyone know what is happening here? They seemed like a great deal for a 32A USA made EVSE. Does anyone else know where one can be ordered?

TurboFroggy said:
All of the Schneider EVSEs are gone from Home Depot's website. They had them briefly on sale but "out of stock" now they are not even listed. Anyone know what is happening here? They seemed like a great deal for a 32A USA made EVSE. Does anyone else know where one can be ordered?

Don't know this company but found this link: http://nationalcarcharging.com/products-page/product-category/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have been searching the web for suppliers of the Schneider EVlink for a few weeks now. I saw the 1 on sale but not available on the Home Depot website and one that sold on Ebay. Today a new supplier came up: http://www.sale-tools.com/products/...tation-2nd-Generation-%2d-Enhanced-Model.html. The price seems to good to be true at $399. Of course this would seem to be a fair price for what the EVlink actual is. This supplier lists an address in Indonesia. I don't know what to think of that. I have bought lot's of stuff online, but have always stayed away from foreign countries. They are asking for payment directly to their bank account also. I have never seen that before. Any comments about this supplier, international internet transactions in general?

Personally, I have no experience with that website, sale tools dot com or whatever, but I would never buy from them. Ever.
I try to buy from US only.

I tried a fake order and got this at the payment step:
Once you've provided payment, your order will be completed. The outstanding balance of your order is $399.00 USD. Instructions on how to pay for your order are shown below:

Below Our Bank Details to Clear the payment :
- Beneficiary Name / Account Name : RIDWAN
- Beneficiary Number / Account Number : 0222-964-350
- Bank Name : PT. Bank Negara Indonesia Tbk
- SWIFT CODE : BNINIDJA
- Bank Address :Jl. Jend Sudirman Kav. 1 Jakarta 10220

Don't forget to send the scan receipt after you make the transfer
payment so we can process your order.
There is no WAY I would ever send these guys any money.

palmermd said:
garygid said:
"Cable" is a very general term.

By "e-hose" (like a gas hose and nozzle at a gas station), I was referring to a particular type of drive-over tested, 4-conductor cable, connected to an EVSE at one end and with a J1772 plug at the other end, used for providing "e-fuel" to (charging) an EV, not just any wires, sometimes enclosed-in-insulation (telephone cable, under-sea cable, RF cable, message sent by wire, etc).

Perhaps a better term will emerge.

Some might like using the more general terms "charger", "cable", and "plug" or "connector".

ok, then EVSE cable, it is a cable and it is NOT a hose. "e-fuel" is another term you made up, but it bothers me less because electricity could be argued to be a fuel, but it again just seems easier to use the existing term of fuel or electricity rather than e-fuel. Why this need to create new names?

For the same reason I call it "pressing the gas pedal".

I like "e-hose". I'm going to use it because it needs to catch on, like "e-mail".

I got off the phone with nationalcarcharging and they said that Schneider's assembly line is shut down right now because of a parts shortage... they don't know when they will restart as they are at the mercy of one of their suppliers. Hopefully it will be resolved soon as he said there were about half a dozen orders that were on hold due to this.

Update 4/8: Schneider is apparently moving assembly lines and changing parts suppliers so they expect to be out for about 8 weeks (from the guy at nationalcarcharging)

Unfortunately, the EVlink indoor charging station is not available at this time but it will be available soon.

Sorry for the inconvenience, please contact us at 877-283-7647 or [email protected] for more details on when the EVlink charging station will be available.

Does anyone ever have trouble with their Schneiver EVLink (first generation) not connecting to their Leaf? About once a week, when I connect our Leaf to our EVLink at home, it starts to connect like usual... flashes the green light on the EVSE & blue lights on the dash a couple times... but the EVLink never activates the connection (no relay closure), and the Leaf never beeps. They both stop flashing and just sit there like nothing ever happened. If I then just tap the trigger on the J1772 connector once (briefly interrupting the pilot signal -- effectively unplugging and replugging it), it suddenly completes the connection and goes on like nothing was wrong. Does this happen to anyone else? I've never had it happen on any other EVSE, but that sample size is considerably lower. The couple other Leaf owners I know with an EVLink say it doesn't happen to them. So... EVLink issue, or car issue? It's done this the entire time I've owned them.

iluvmacs said:
Does anyone ever have trouble with their Schneiver EVLink (first generation) not connecting to their Leaf? About once a week, when I connect our Leaf to our EVLink at home, it starts to connect like usual... flashes the green light on the EVSE & blue lights on the dash a couple times... but the EVLink never activates the connection (no relay closure), and the Leaf never beeps. They both stop flashing and just sit there like nothing ever happened. If I then just tap the trigger on the J1772 connector once (briefly interrupting the pilot signal -- effectively unplugging and replugging it), it suddenly completes the connection and goes on like nothing was wrong. Does this happen to anyone else? I've never had it happen on any other EVSE, but that sample size is considerably lower. The couple other Leaf owners I know with an EVLink say it doesn't happen to them. So... EVLink issue, or car issue? It's done this the entire time I've owned them.
Are you 100% sure the charge handle is fully latched? You should see the release button pop fully up when it latches. If for any reason the switch doesn't close properly, the car will not acknowledge the pilot properly and charging will fail to start. This is the most commonly seen charging fault, by far.

-Phil

Ingineer said:
iluvmacs said:
Are you 100% sure the charge handle is fully latched? You should see the release button pop fully up when it latches. If for any reason the switch doesn't close properly, the car will not acknowledge the pilot properly and charging will fail to start. This is the most commonly seen charging fault, by far.

-Phil

That had been what I first suspected. As far as I can tell, it is engaging. If it's in that "limbo" state, I can't pull it out, and the button does appear to be all the way popped up. When I "resqueeze" it to make it work, I can feel the switch click open and closed. I suppose it's still possible the microswitch is faulty...?

Perhaps the most interesting aspect of this is that under normal connection procedure, there is a few second delay between plug-in and relay closure. Under the failed attempts, it goes through the few seconds of delay just before "giving up", and then when I "resqueeze", it connects *immediately*. It's like there's a state machine timing issue.

Why does the Schneider unit have this few second delay during connection, and no other EVSE I've used does this? Or is that the whole problem here? I have a second EVLink at our vacation home... it has the same delay. I don't think I've seen it fail to connect, but I've also only used it like 10-15 times, so I don't have a big sample size. :?:

Some EVSE's have a delay, and it is permitted according to the standard. It should present no problem.

There is a user here called "WarrenSE" who works for Schneider. Maybe he can help?

-Phil

I was just made aware that the updated units are now back in retail.

These units should be in stock and listed as version (or generation) 2.5.

EVlink Home Depot

Feel free to contact us with any questions at 877-283-7647 or [email protected]. As before, I will try to keep any new information updated and I will continue to answer any questions or messages.

Warren, if you are in a position to feed back suggestions, here is something I would find handy and others might as well as more people are starting to get a second EV: An EVSE with two cords. The unit would still be fed with a 40A breaker, but have a switch to select whether both cords present a 16A pilot signal, or one of the cords provides a 30A pilot signal and the other is dead.

LTLFTcomposite said:
Warren, if you are in a position to feed back suggestions, here is something I would find handy and others might as well as more people are starting to get a second EV: An EVSE with two cords. The unit would still be fed with a 40A breaker, but have a switch to select whether both cords present a 16A pilot signal, or one of the cords provides a 30A pilot signal and the other is dead.

Thanks LTLFTcomposite, I can send this over to the EVlink team.

Would your desire be for an indoor residential unit? Is that the reason for being fed off a single 40A breaker?

Currently, EVlink does have an outdoor pedestal unit that has dual connections. It doesn't do the "smart" current switching, however. Each connection can output 30A. I believe it is aimed more at the commercial space. I charge on one of these dual outdoor units here at work (along with another LEAF driver).

WarrenSE said:
LTLFTcomposite said:

Thanks LTLFTcomposite, I can send this over to the EVlink team.

Would your desire be for an indoor residential unit? Is that the reason for being fed off a single 40A breaker?

Currently, EVlink does have an outdoor pedestal unit that has dual connections. It doesn't do the "smart" current switching, however. Each connection can output 30A. I believe it is aimed more at the commercial space. I charge on one of these dual outdoor units here at work (along with another LEAF driver).
Yes, I was thinking residential. I could be wrong but I see more indications of two EV families, two leafs, leaf+volt, leaf+tesla, etc. If you think about it, people who are inclined to get an EV will be more inclined to get a second EV as well. My thought is that it is common for houses to have 200A service, but having more than 40A dedicated to EV charging would violate the load panel calculation. We are in exactly that boat at my house. We could just have two 20A EVSEs, and that would be the most common mode of operation, but it would be nice to have the flexibility to apply the full 40A to a single vehicle at times.

It would be a niche product, but I can see it growing over time. It might be possible to implement it with two EVlink units on the same 40A circuit interconnected by low voltage signalling with some accessory switch box.

Excellent idea. For home use a 24 amp might also sell well as it could use an existing 30a dryer circuit. Split 12a 240v between two vehicles as needed.
For networked commercial units I could see derating them so you could feed say 8 on a 100a circuit. All derated to 10a if needed depending on use.
Might sell more product if the install was not as intensive.

I see this as a great idea as well. Make it programmable so that it can be set to 16, 24, and maybe even 40 amps total as it's top end, then the EVSE could "split the difference" between the 2 EV's if both were charging. If only one, then it receives full power. (Those ampacities correspond to use on 20, 30 and 50A circuits)

We have customers now with 2 LEAFs, and our upgrade is now programmable, so we have 2 EV's sharing one dryer circuit, and the EVSE's are programmed for 12A each. It would be greatly enhanced if the EVSE's could "talk" to each other.

-Phil

Back