Navi safety override?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ingineer said:
Are there any other "hacks" I should build into this?

-Phil

How about a clock sync. Compare the two clocks and then update the dash clock when it is different than the Nav clock. Nav clock seems to keep better time. My dash clock gains about a minute per week.

Ingineer said:
Yes, Gary is correct. I think I've figured out a neat and elegant way for this all to work.

Basically, you watch the screen for a touch event, and if so, you buffer the speed pulses, and begin allowing them out, but at a throttled rate. Then after a certain timeout, the throttling is removed. So anytime you touch the screen, the lockout is temporarily removed, the touch is processed, and you have a few seconds to continue selecting things. Meanwhile, the position might accumulate some error, but at least the system will still indicate progress and update via GPS. And if your average speed is still pretty low, such as driving in the city with stop/go traffic, the system will "catch up" even if you continue to touch the screen, and if you are driving fast, while continuing to touch, the error will eventually be corrected by GPS.

Of course, this same system automatically presses "ok" for you upon startup.

Gary, it looks like they will update the position once the error is over a certain threshold.

Yes, I can make the nag go away via the Nav CAN bus, but that effectively denies the agreement. This new method Ok's it.

-Phil

Very neat approach and spoken like a real engineer :)

I don't believe there is any way to either read or set the eye brow clock over the buss...

palmermd said:
Ingineer said:
-Phil
How about a clock sync. Compare the two clocks and then update the dash clock when it is different than the Nav clock. Nav clock seems to keep better time. My dash clock gains about a minute per week.

Can you enable the backup camera with a button or screen press somehow? Not a big deal and probably of limited usefulness, but fun nonetheless...

Ingineer said:
-Phil

bdl99 said:
garygid said:
Driving under about 4 mph, the menus are enabled. So, I drove 3 mph and the car-location on the map still updates.

So, trying a pulse-generator (or pulse blocker), would seem to be a reasonable experiment.

Great, thanks for trying that and reporting back.

Also just been reading your Canbus threads and WOW, props to you for everything you have done and shared.

All this modding stuff probably belongs in another thread, although some is related. The OP just wants to know how to navigate while the car is moving, I think, and that's pretty easy for many destinations and situations. Here I am using the word "you" to refer to driver and/or passenger combined, but please be legal and safe. If you have ever set the location as a destination previously, you can get to it by going to the Previous Destinations option on the menu and selecting it. If you know in advance the destination you want, you could search it in GoogleMaps at work or home, then send it to the car. You can later download that from All information feeds/GoogleMaps in the car. If you have a smart phone you can do the same (except passenger only in CA - illegal for driver while driving) by searching the location and sending to car, then downloading the same way. All this can be done while driving at normal speed. No need to modify the electronics. I've never tried to program in a new address/intersection, etc. while moving, so perhaps this is blocked for safety reasons, but if the destination is already in the Nissan system somewhere you can get to it.

Another advantage to a physical overide is when I place or receive a call, and they want me to press one, etc, I can't do that safely without the dash phone keypad. Normally, I'd have to dig in my pocket, get the phone, find the keypad, and hopefully not crash while fumbling. Or, not take the call at all.

Now, I can just select override with a switch that is in a fixed location, turn it on, override light illuminates, keypad is now useable, press one, override off, light extinguishes.

I don't recommend that anybody except your passenger should input phone numbers or street addresses (or pull over and do it yourself).

Well, I went ahead and purchased the Carkit "Remote Bypass Kit for Nissan Leaf".
I'm a die hard DIY person, but I just didn't have the time, and am really PO'ed about not being able to use the NAV while Moving.

The kit works exactly as advertised.
Programmed the phone into one homelink button, and the NAV override into the other.
Took me more like 30 minutes, but I could do it now in 10.

What struck me the most was how EASILY that center console comes off.
Pull here, pull there, and it's in your lap.

This car is not safe from me now. :twisted: :twisted:
There is all sorts of room and access back there.

Can't wait for the Leaf scan- All sorts of possibilities for wireing and mounting.

So, there you are.
It works, quick and dirty.

Some '13 with 'aroundview' and BOSE details.. the svc manual now says it's on 'pin 44' (Gray) based on their diagram, but it's still the same location noted as 'pin 28' previously, and it still has the same effect, it confuses the NAV and ungrays the options. What it doesn't do however, is eliminate the 'speed switch' for the aroundview monitor (when moving forward, the cameras, 'switch off' at about 7mph still).. I'm hoping THAT isn't on the canbus (which you'd think they'd just use the speed from the speed wire like the nav/option disable does, but apparently not). 'pin 45' (Green) is the reverse wire and 'pin 25' (Yellow) is the parking brake wire. On the 'Around View' control unit, 'pin 8' is reverse, and there is no speed wire. Again, this is from a 13 SV with 'Around View' and the Bose audio.

Here's from the 13 svc manual.

2woafk7.jpg

Pin 44 - Speed
Pin 45 - Reverse
Pin 25 - Parking Brake
Pin 26 - Power

Also, I mentioned this in another thread, but the part # for the blanks for the 2013 is now 68492-3JA0A instead of 68492-AX000. (and looking at various parts sites shows a change in the size.)

Edit: After a bit more probing (and service manual digging).. I can confirm that they send the speed to the AVM (around view monitor) controller over the CANbus.. so there's no way on a 13 with aroundview to have the cameras on above 7mph (even with the speed wire to the AV unit 'disabled' and even the 'parking brake' wire pulled appropriately. The service manual implictly calls it a malfunction:

Symptom: "Selector lever is in a position other than R (reverse) and front, rear, front-side and Birds-Eye views are displayed even as vehicle speed increases."

Cause: "Vehicle speed signal malfunction (CAN communication) between combination meter and around view monitor control unit."

Wow, I love this thread.

I was just going to post how much I hated the fact that a passenger could not type while driving. (I am sure I will use it while driving, but only to bring up addresses, etc.)

Question tho...

What is the "DVD Bypass"?

I didn't think there was a DVD playback option for the Leaf. I'm drooling at the idea that I'll be able to play a DVD or iPod through the USB port.

caross said:
TomT said:
http://www.carkitcompany.com/general/bypasses-explained

caross said:
What is the "DVD Bypass"?

Excellent, thanks. This looks like everything I could ever want. :)

AFAIK it doesn't have any impact on our cars. I'm glad I was able to convince the carkit guy to make this mod. I wonder how many of them he's sold now.

QueenBee said:
AFAIK it doesn't have any impact on our cars. I'm glad I was able to convince the carkit guy to make this mod. I wonder how many of them he's sold now.

Yea, so I spoke to him. Great guy.

The Leaf specific bypass is all I can use. That is huge... so the fact I can't play a DVD... no biggie.

caross said:
QueenBee said:

Yea, so I spoke to him. Great guy.

The Leaf specific bypass is all I can use. That is huge... so the fact I can't play a DVD... no biggie.

This is the kit I have and it works great.
Drove me CRAZY having limited functionality while moving.
Plus, my little guy thinks the backup camera being ON while we are driving is hysterical.
(makes my wife carsick, which is just icing on the cake (kidding :shock: )

Took NO time to install.

Unfortunately... on the 2013 'around view'.. the around view controller decides that you can't view the camera above 7mph.. and so far, i've yet to be able to tell it otherwise (it appears to be getting it's speed over the CAN bus, while the usual speed wire to the nav, still enables the nav functions.

Just purchased and installed the Carkit override. The kits only operating function in my 14 SL is to toggle the speed sense off to the head unit. This enables the keys that lock out when the car is moving. This could have been done with one splice and a toggle switch because:

1) the reverse camera feature does not work (with around view)
2) the parking brake on/off feature has no functionality on the Leaf

I may have missed it but I saw nothing on the Carkit website about the limitations on specific model options/years. isn't worth $175 plus ship costs for a plug n play toggle switch.

It's a great idea if the other functionality was present. I'm not knocking the effort of the developer, the unit needs more to support its value or specific limitations listed.

2014 Leaf SL with premium pkg.

TetonEV said:
Just purchased and installed the Carkit override. The kits only operating function in my 14 SL is to toggle the speed sense off to the head unit. This enables the keys that lock out when the car is moving. This could have been done with one splice and a toggle switch because:

1) the reverse camera feature does not work (with around view)
2) the parking brake on/off feature has no functionality on the Leaf

I may have missed it but I saw nothing on the Carkit website about the limitations on specific model options/years. isn't worth $175 plus ship costs for a plug n play toggle switch.

It's a great idea if the other functionality was present. I'm not knocking the effort of the developer, the unit needs more to support its value or specific limitations listed.

2014 Leaf SL with premium pkg.

You very well may have been the first person with a 2014/around view to install it. You should send him an email so he can update the site. It is a bit of money for something that can be spliced in but it sure makes it simple and reversible.

Back