Post Your Battery Degradation Results

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking forward to trying the Thousand Oaks DCQC!

But back on topic.. Just over 8000 miles. First few months mostly 5 Temp bars (less than 25C) but now it's a struggle to keep it under 25.. Probably averaging 27-28C these days.

Stanton said:
No offense, but what does posting this giant picture of a Blink charger have to do with recording "battery degradation data"? It makes it difficult to track results in this thread. :x

Because there aren't many L3 chargers around here. And we need to see the effect on battery degradation the L3 has on the LEAF. So whoever does it hopefully will be paying close attention to their battery capacity. As if the batteries don't degrade fast enough without L3. This Blink is installed and ready to go, but still has to initialized by the company. At that time it will appear on the Blink map.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I recall having read on the forum the theory that recent declines in AH that people have been seeing are likely due to the BMS adjusting to seasonal variation and/or ambient temperature change, rather than actual pack degradation. If that is so, I'd hate to have people unnecessarily concerned that their packs were in rapid decline as we get further into summer.

Boomer23 said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I recall having read on the forum the theory that recent declines in AH that people have been seeing are likely due to the BMS adjusting to seasonal variation and/or ambient temperature change, rather than actual pack degradation. If that is so, I'd hate to have people unnecessarily concerned that their packs were in rapid decline as we get further into summer.

Even with similar batt temps, some of us are seeing degradation every week. But who knows how the BMS is reacting, and perhaps it is with delayed response.

Boomer23 said:

Isn't that what the P3227 update is supposed to be addressing?

vrwl said:
Current Leaf Battery App values are in my signature
[Mfg 8/2011][Purch 6/26/2012][6800 miles][12 Bars, 85.7% CAP, AHr 56.75 ][4.5/kWh][80% L1]
Sorry for being repetitive.. but the CAP = Ah / 66.25 unless you change the 66.25 constant inside the ELM app.. So either
A: you're using the default 66.25 in which case mentioning the CAP number is completely redundant.
or
B: you've changed the 66.25 number in your settings so your CAP has no correlation with anyone else and thus is pointless (for comparing to others).

Also, I agree with Phil.. we probably shouldn't get too freaked out until we can see a trend through a few seasons. I do find it interesting to speculate what causes these small daily fluctuations though..

GregH said:
vrwl said:
Current Leaf Battery App values are in my signature
[Mfg 8/2011][Purch 6/26/2012][6800 miles][12 Bars, 85.7% CAP, AHr 56.75 ][4.5/kWh][80% L1]
Sorry for being repetitive.. but the CAP = Ah / 66.25 unless you change the 66.25 constant inside the ELM app.. So either
A: you're using the default 66.25 in which case mentioning the CAP number is completely redundant.
or
B: you've changed the 66.25 number in your settings so your CAP has no correlation with anyone else and thus is pointless (for comparing to others).

Also, I agree with Phil.. we probably shouldn't get too freaked out until we can see a trend through a few seasons. I do find it interesting to speculate was causes these small daily fluctuations though..

A. It's redundant, but I still type it in my signature because that's what's displayed on the screen.

4/1/13- Purchase and Delivery date
Mileage- 4,925
Ah- 67.36
Cap-101.67%

I charge to 80% daily (Drive at minimum 50 miles a day and charge to 100% once a week). Always let it have at least a half hour cooling off period after charging is stopped/finished before driving but also drive within 2 hours at the very most of charging being stopped/finished). Just got ELM adapter today and plan on documenting the results daily when possible.

IraqiInvaderGnr said:
Mileage- 4,925
Ah- 67.36
Cap-101.67%

I charge to 80% daily (Drive at minimum 50 miles a day and charge to 100% once a week). Always let it have at least a half hour cooling off period after charging is stopped/finished before driving but also drive within 2 hours at the very most of charging being stopped/finished). Just got ELM adapter today and plan on documenting the results daily when possible.
Hmmm another 2013 with 67.3620Ah capacity? What's up with that? I wonder what the health percent is...
Ah and CAP% are the same thing btw.

IraqiInvaderGnr said:
Mileage- 4,925
Ah- 67.36
Cap-101.67%

Looks like very battery friendly conditions. I too have my battery charging start at midnight, with the car parked outside in the driveway...allowing the battery pack maximum cooling. And I usually go for a drive no later than 7am, especially if I charge to 80%.

I was going to plan a 200 mile drive this weekend, relying on up to DC quick charge sessions to 80%. (which only gets me approx. 40-48 miles for freeway driving in my car). However, it is supposed to be 100F this weekend. That coupled with the DCQC might be murder on my battery. If I do it, I will be sure to document the battery capacity every leg of the trip.

Interestingly enough...today I checked, and I looks like I gained about .50AH, up to 62.05AH (93.65%) from 61.54AH (92.88%) just a few days ago.
And this is with a higher average battery temp. Perhaps is here is only a 3.4F cell temp diff, which is about half of my result in the first post of this thread.

bhu.jpg

ELROY said:
IraqiInvaderGnr said:
Mileage- 4,925
Ah- 67.36
Cap-101.67%

Looks like very battery friendly conditions. I too have my battery charging start at midnight, with the car parked outside in the driveway...allowing the battery pack maximum cooling. And I usually go for a drive no later than 7am, especially if I charge to 80%.

I was going to plan a 200 mile drive this weekend, relying on up to DC quick charge sessions to 80%. (which only gets me approx. 40-48 miles for freeway driving in my car). However, it is supposed to be 100F this weekend. That coupled with the DCQC might be murder on my battery. If I do it, I will be sure to document the battery capacity every leg of the trip.

Interestingly enough...today I checked, and I looks like I gained about .50AH, up to 62.05AH (93.65%) from 61.54AH (92.88%) just a few days ago.
And this is with a higher average battery temp. Perhaps is here is only a 3.4F cell temp diff, which is about half of my result in the first post of this thread.

bhu.jpg

It sits out in the sun during the day while I work but I have to be at work at 7am and get off around 6pm Monday-Friday. I currently charge in the garage but I will probably start charging outside to allow the battery to cool off more. I've never quick charged it as there are no quick charge chargers around here. How do you find out the health? Is it within the app?

So decided to check my stats now that I have my LeafDD unit, and for my car (2013 SL, built in May 2013) with 1400 miles I have (when charged to 100%):

GID: 278
SoC: 97.2500
Capacity: 63.9939 (this feels low)
Health: 98.15

66.02 AH (Leaf Logger)

Car has seen 6 TBs a total 7 times that I've observed, once this year so far. Mostly 5 TB in winter, 4 TB sometimes, 3 TB once.

Highest temperature on Leaf Logger is 75 F. This morning 66 F.

13,000 miles, 13 months

QCs about 10.

ELROY said:

Hopefully this is not some sort of competition with Jeremy or Tony to see how warm you can get your pack with DCQC! Hope the trip goes well, curious to hear how it goes..

lion said:
So decided to check my stats now that I have my LeafDD unit, and for my car (2013 SL, built in May 2013) with 1400 miles I have (when charged to 100%):

GID: 278
SoC: 97.2500
Capacity: 63.9939 (this feels low)
Health: 98.15

Better then me! My car (one of the last 2012s) is only a few months older.
This morning 8292miles 62.5012Ah 94.23% H
Interesting that your car charged to 97.25% I just saw 96.0% yesterday but when I first got the car the most it would charge was 95.6. Perhaps better balanced now? Or maybe I'm just reading too much into this..

When was your car built? I guess I'll have to take another look at the numbers when I charge to 100% next time, but rather surprised at how quick those numbers dropped for a car that was made only about a month ago (unless the humid/hot weather conditions in my area were affecting the readings).

My Stats:
Leaf delivered June 3, 2011 - 2 years, 3 weeks "old"
22K miles

Ahr Capacity 57.88 (87.36%)
Above has declined about 1% (from 88.5%) since I got Elm a month ago.

Have not charged to "100%" for about 4 months, but charge to 90-95% several times per month.
Several QC per month.

Ambient temperatures have been 80-90 F in daytime, low 60s overnight in garage.
Fan cooling of insulated garage overnight gets it down to 65-69 F by morning
Active cooling of my garage 8:30-10am, 6-7 pm, avoiding peak time-of-use pricing
On hot days, add active cooling 4-5 pm to keep garage below 80 F.
Separate fan blows air under rear half of car when garage is cool.

Battery temperatures
Mornings 69-71 F
Afternoons 78-85 depending upon driving

Temperature readings go up quickly, perhaps a degree every 10 minutes, while driving in daytime.
Temperature readings drop frustratingly slow, about 8 F in 12 hours with 10 F temperature difference relative to garage temperature.

I really wish Nissan would offer an active liquid cooling loop option. They could engineer the battery pack with the coolant channels in place, and these would be connected and filled with coolant if you bought the option.

Back