Are there heating elements in the rear seat cushion?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ianlin

Hello: I am trying to remove the rear seat cushion install an after market seat cover. I have the previous threads in 2011 on this subject. In that thread it was mentioned that I should push the cushion towards the tail of the car and lift up. I tried it, pulled fairly hard. But it did not release. I didn't want to damage anything by really forcing it. So I thought I check with everyone here first. Can anyone confirm the 2013 model rear seats can be removed the same way as 2011? Also, what about seat heaters? Are there any electrical wires need to be disconnected?

Did you ever figure out how to remove the rear seats?

I'm trying to now and not getting anywhere.

ianlin said:
Hello: I am trying to remove the rear seat cushion install an after market seat cover. I have the previous threads in 2011 on this subject. In that thread it was mentioned that I should push the cushion towards the tail of the car and lift up. I tried it, pulled fairly hard. But it did not release. I didn't want to damage anything by really forcing it. So I thought I check with everyone here first. Can anyone confirm the 2013 model rear seats can be removed the same way as 2011? Also, what about seat heaters? Are there any electrical wires need to be disconnected?

REAR SEAT
SEATBACK : Removal and Installation
REMOVAL
Seatback Assembly (LH)
1. Remove the seat cushion assembly. Refer to SE-33, "SEAT CUSHION : Removal and Installation".
2. Remove center anchor bolt of center seat belt retractor. Refer to SB-14, "Exploded View".
3. Place the rear seatback assembly (LH) in the folded down position.
4. Pull up seatback trim, then remove bolts from the seatback hinge bracket (center).
5. Remove the luggage finisher mask (LH). Refer to INT-42, "LUGGAGE FINISHER MASK : Removal and
Installation".
6. Remove nuts from the seatback hinge bracket (LH).
7. Remove seatback assembly (LH) from the vehicle.
CAUTION:
When removing and installing, use shop cloths to protect parts from damage.
Seatback Assembly (RH)
1. Remove the seat cushion assembly. Refer to SE-33, "SEAT CUSHION : Removal and Installation".
2. Place the seatback assembly (RH) in the folded down position.
3. Pull up seatback trim, then remove bolts from the seatback hinge bracket (center).
4. Remove the luggage finisher mask (RH). Refer to INT-42, "LUGGAGE FINISHER MASK : Removal and
Installation".
5. Remove nuts from the seatback hinge bracket (RH).
6. Remove seatback assembly (RH) from the vehicle.
CAUTION:
When removing and installing, use shop cloths to protect parts from damage.
INSTALLATION
Installation is in the reverse order of removal.
• Temporary install bolts, position seatback assembly (LH/RH) to the latched position. Check that seatback
latch assembly and seatback striker do not interfere, then tighten bolts to specification. Refer to SE-29,
"Exploded View".
• Tighten the center anchor bolt to specification. Refer to SB-14, "Exploded View".

SEAT CUSHION
SEAT CUSHION : Removal and Installation
REMOVAL
CAUTION:
When removing the seat cushion, do not damage the rear seat heater harness and harness connector.
1. Lift up the seat cushion assembly close to the front edge (B) to release it from the seat cushion hooks (A)
(one for each side) and remove the seat cushion assembly.
2. Pull out seat belt buckle from seat cushion assembly.
3. Lift up seat cushion assembly, and then disconnect the rear seat
heater harness connector (A) and unclip the harness from the
seat cushion assembly.
4. Remove seat cushion assembly from vehicle.

Just removed the rear seat cushion in my 2015, to install a seat cover.

What a pain!!

There are several problems.

1 - Wheras the 2012 rear seat had some rigidity, the 2015 "rear cushion" has no real frame strength.
2 - The clips hold with tremendous force.
3 - the metal loops are wrapped with cloth adhesive tape. This may ruin whatever chance the clip had of releasing.
4 - there is no way to get any kind of tool involved to press in on the tabs that hold the clips in place

It's difficult to remove without damaging the clips, the holes they fit into, or the seat itself.

Here's a picture of the underside of the seat. The receiving clip is still attached to the metal loop It just wouldn't let go. Now that it's exposed I can push in the tabs to remove it.

IMG_2214_zps9c9f58e6.jpg

Here you can see the frame hole where the clip is supposed to reside. You can see the hole is distorted a bit. That's how hard I had to pull to get a release. Next to the hole is the clip from the passenger side, which finally did let go of the metal loop after some wrasslin'.

IMG_2213_zps4be3d4d7.jpg

There's no way to get at the clips to make them release. On the driver's side I was able to get the thing to pop out by grabbing both the front of the seat directly in front of the clip, and also the rear of the seat and pulling up from both ends finally got it. It took a LOT of force. I'm probably going to have to bend the cushion back into shape a bit and also have to tap that hole back into shape.

On the passenger side I finally got it out by kneeling outside the car, snaking my arm along the top of that ridge, wrapping my hand around where the clip was and then lever-ing it out.

Were I to try this again I think I'd tie a rope into a noose, get it fished around the clip, cinch it down and the pull up with that from the front side of the seat. This would concentrate the force right at the clip interface. There just isn't enough strength in the seat itself to transmit force effectively.

Dammit Nissan, why did you make it so hard? People do want to put on seat covers occasionally!

Photobucket pics not working ... any chance you could upload to somewhere else? I'm looking at seat covers for my 2017 and would love any insight into how to go about installing on the rear seats. This post is the only one I could find.

Back