[NY] Albany/Capital District EV Driver's Group

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I meant driving two footed and of course, the drive computer doesn't allow that. It cuts power to the drive motor until you take your foot off of the brake pedal.

Interesting though, I didn't think of trying to use the parking brake. If it is made like other cars, with a single wire as an input to the CPU, then bypassing it would be easy. Then again, I don't think the little drum brakes on the back of the car would hold much torque.

Mike

blownb310 said:
I meant driving two footed and of course, the drive computer doesn't allow that. It cuts power to the drive motor until you take your foot off of the brake pedal.

Interesting though, I didn't think of trying to use the parking brake. If it is made like other cars, with a single wire as an input to the CPU, then bypassing it would be easy. Then again, I don't think the little drum brakes on the back of the car would hold much torque.

Mike

Those are drums on the rear? I never checked. Anyway, while you might be able to use the parking brake to get some wheel spin going before start, the purpose of that is to maximize torque, and in this case that may not be necessary.

My 2013 SV has disk brakes on all four wheels. I take it some of the other Leafs don't? It doesn't normally matter if the rear brakes are drums, but with all that battery weight back there...

Yes, drum brakes on the rear of the Fit EV. I haven't had any wheels off yet to see what's inside the drums. They look a bit odd though. Sort of bell shaped with a larger diameter step on the inside. Perhaps there are some regen componenets in there too.

Mike

LeftieBiker said:
I had forgotten that you drive a Fit and not a Leaf. Drum brakes tend to have two diameters; how wide is the smaller diameter section?
The first time I pull a wheel I will measure the drums for you. I look forward to weighing the wheel/tire assembly to see how light they are as well.

datestamp%20and%20logo.JPG

The Albany Capital District EV Driver's Group will be having their first meet up on National Plug-in Day, Sunday September 29th, at Guptill's Arena.
I volunteered to be our region's 'City Captain' and started planning the event a couple of weeks ago. In anticipation of guests who will surely be asking me if there's anywhere to charge, I have contacted Nemith Nissan [1.1 miles south] and have been granted permission for us to use both of their level 2 chargers for the day. They will bring a Leaf out for test drives as well. I will also check to see if Guptill's has any 110v outlets that we can use for trickle charging.

Confirmed dealers bringing EV's for test drives [to date]:

Nemith Nissan, Leaf SV
Latham Smart Center, Smart ED [Electric Drive]
Destination Nissan, 2 to 3 Nissan Leafs [all trim levels]
Keeler Honda, Fit EV and Accord Plug-in Hybrid

There will be members of the Albany Capital District EV Driver's Group on hand who may also be demonstrating their private EV's as well. Al Smith has offered to do so with his brand new Tesla Model S!

The Guptill's facility has a huge fully paved lot that hosts car shows of over 500 vehicles, so space is not a problem. They also have a locally famous outdoor ice cream stand [Guptill's Coney Express] on the premises with lunch available as well [pizza, hot dogs, hamburgers, fries etc.] There is fun for the whole family, as their giant indoor roller skating arena is the largest in the US.

Hours: 10:00 am to 5:00 pm.

Link to event page: http://pluginday.org/event.php?eventid=8

pialogo_0.jpg

C'mon out and join us!

Mike

So have you gotten an answer yet on the 120 volt outlets? Do you have an estimate for the number of Leafs expected there? I'd rather take my E-scooter to the event, but will take the Leaf if I can't recharge. I could make the trip both ways, I think, but at highway speeds it would be a little close.

LeftieBiker said:
So have you gotten an answer yet on the 120 volt outlets? Do you have an estimate for the number of Leafs expected there? I'd rather take my E-scooter to the event, but will take the Leaf if I can't recharge. I could make the trip both ways, I think, but at highway speeds it would be a little close.
I'll let you know when I get back over there [probably Monday]. How many Leafs so far? Four or five that I know of, 2 or 3 from Destination, 1 from Nemith, and one privately owned example. We have two extra Leviton Level two chargers that we will bring, but so far no one's got a generator that's large enough to power them. Mine's only 120V.

It probably wouldn't be a good idea to run "zero emission" cars from a noisy, smelly gen anyway. How many 'brilliant silver' Leafs will be there? Again, duplication vs variety is what I'm calculating...

LeftieBiker said:
It probably wouldn't be a good idea to run "zero emission" cars from a noisy, smelly gen anyway. How many 'brilliant silver' Leafs will be there? Again, duplication vs variety is what I'm calculating...
I don't know what color Leafs the dealers are bringing. How about a picture of yours to add to this update gallery?
Below are a few of the Albany Capital District EV Driver's Group cars that are coming to this event to date. Well, at least the ones I have picture of so far. :)

DSC03571_zps26e743dc.jpg

DavidTraverAdolphus_zps13fc991a.jpg

Tesla001_zps57224c2a.jpg

EVWorld005_zps963963bd.jpg

527010_203271089838575_1166850600_n_zps4dfd60ef.jpg

SmartEV006_zps4a9ff00b.jpg

There will be at least 5 Leafs, 2 Volts, and an Accord plug-in as well.

FitandLeaf002_zpsfb295cf1.jpg

I charged up at the RPI Fieldhouse ChargePoint station last week and saw this beautiful blue Leaf with CA plates on it. Anyone know who's Leaf this is? I want to invite them to our group and to our National Plug-in Day event on the 29th.

Also, there will be two electric motorcycles coming to the event, so I'm bringing my helmet! :mrgreen:

I'm one of the motorcycles - the ZEV, if the weather allows. What is the other bike? BTW, Facebook is cracking down on people who erase their cookies, and I can't for the life of me remember what birthday I use for my FB non de plume...

LeftieBiker said:
I'm one of the motorcycles - the ZEV, if the weather allows. What is the other bike?
Oh I see now. The other bike is this one:

mav14.jpg

It was built by Carl Vogel, who is coming up from Babylon to show it.

Here's an update on the upcoming Capital District EV Driver's Group event at Guptill's on the 29th.

The event link is here: National Plug-in Day EV car event

Electric Vehicles registered so far:

6 Nissan LEAF
3 Honda Fit EV
3 Smart ForTwo Electric Drive
2 Tesla Model S
2 Chevrolet Volt
1 Mitsubishi i
1 Ford Fusion Energi
1 Honda Accord Plug-In
1 Ford Focus Electric
1 Harley Davidson EV conversion motorcycle

New things are coming together every day now. Now we're going to have electric RC cars races as well. We have mini orange pylons to set up a course. We'll have EV music playing, ice cream, EV test drives, and EV parade, and group photo shoot. I have solar equipment venders coming, and charging station vender displays as well.

Heck, it's not out of the question that we'll have some "Electric Slide" line dancing going on too. :)

Back