What do you wish you had known before purchase?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rat said:
All in all I'm very happy with the purchase of the car. It's peppy, reliable, cheap to operate, handles great, is fun to drive and is the perfect size and has good range for my family. However, to answer the OP's question, I wish I had known:
1. that Level 1 charging at home would easily fit my needs;
2. that the "free" EVSE from The EV Project would costs almost $3,000;
3. that QC stations in my area would take so long to roll out and would be so unreliable;
4. that the backup camera and photovoltaic cells on the SL would be so useless;
Based on these factors, I wish I had stuck with my original decision to buy the SV, but I let myself be talked into upgrading to the SL. However, I have the 2011 and these factors may not apply to you and may not be true on later models. In addition, perhaps the infrastructure will appear before the useful life of the car is gone and the decision to upgrade will pay off after all.

All good points, but for someone acquiring a 2013, a few notes may be helpful. First, the SV/SL distinction in 2011/2012 was completely different than what it is for 2013. Second, in 2011 home charging options were new and generally way overpriced - the options today are also completely different and generally much cheaper. Third, the backup camera in the earlier years has been replaced by a lesser (I'm told) backup camera in the S-model and an optional all-around-view system in the higher models that is getting very good reviews. (And for the record, we love the backup camera in the older LEAFs - it's perfect for our parking situation.)

That gas would only be $3.40 Gal. I'm not really saving any money. I was an early adopter and my lease is about $390 per mo with the down pmt added in. BUT, I'm driving a new car with air conditioning and stuff I didn't have. I'm still in love.

I wish I'd known (and I could have figured this out during the test drive, had I remembered) that the Leaf shares - and is even worse, really - the Prius's unwillingness to let you use recirculate with A/C or even heated defrost. This sounds minor to most people, but if you are sensitive to exhaust fumes and travel crowded highways, it's worth noting. It will recirculate the air in the High/Low and Low only vent positions, but even then it likes to open the intake when you switch modes. Nothing like having to switch the climate control off (and sometimes change modes as well) just to be able to keep out the blue smoke from the diesel or worn-out car or truck in front of you...

LeftieBiker said:
I wish I'd known (and I could have figured this out during the test drive, had I remembered) that the Leaf shares - and is even worse, really - the Prius's unwillingness to let you use recirculate with A/C or even heated defrost. This sounds minor to most people, but if you are sensitive to exhaust fumes and travel crowded highways, it's worth noting. It will recirculate the air in the High/Low and Low only vent positions, but even then it likes to open the intake when you switch modes. Nothing like having to switch the climate control off (and sometimes change modes as well) just to be able to keep out the blue smoke from the diesel or worn-out car or truck in front of you...

Maybe it was changed for 2013, but I find that turning on the A/C on my 2012 will automatically turn on Recirc depending on how much cooling it needs to do. As I prefer to not use Recirc unless I have to, I find it mildly annoying to have to switch it back to Fresh.

RonDawg said:
LeftieBiker said:

Maybe it was changed for 2013, but I find that turning on the A/C on my 2012 will automatically turn on Recirc depending on how much cooling it needs to do. As I prefer to not use Recirc unless I have to, I find it mildly annoying to have to switch it back to Fresh.

Yes, but that's in High/Low mode, not defrost.

If what you mean by "High/Low" you mean the defroster vents being on at the same time as the floor vents, that I don't know. But I do know that Recirc mode does work with the vents that blow air horizontally from the dash, at least on my car.

LeftieBiker said:

Thanks for this insight. I think this is just how Nissan products work, and it drives me nuts. I am somewhat of an AC obsessive compulsive and prefer to control the recirculation, fan speed, operating vents (top vs bottom), and temp myself. My wife's Rogue and my Infiniti constantly switch the recirculation to fresh air without me telling it to do so. It's usually when I change from top only vent to top + floor. Most cars I have driven will automatically switch to fresh air if you turn on any defroster, but that is all.

To clear up the confusion on terms:

* High/Low means the chest-level vents and floor vents.

* Heat/Defrost means the floor vents plus the defroster vents. The Prius *will* let you use recirculate here, the Leaf won't.

* Defrost means the defrost/defog vents only. There is no good reason to block recirculation here, as long as the A/C runs with it. In rainy weather it works better with recirculate on.

It's not a huge issue for me now, but once Winter comes I'll be using the Prius more often and the Leaf less. Thanks a lot, Nissan.

Hi Matt (OP),

i live in your metro area and can offer some insights as a ~2 yr Leaf owner. Did not read the whole thread, but if i had to do it over i would lease rather than buy the current model.

Find good lease terms (those $199 per month deals are out there and dealers are eager to sell Leafs but pay close attention to the math, especially the money factor).

Am down to ~60 miles of realistic range (hilly SW Austin). Otherwise it is a fun car to drive.

South Point Nissan in South Austin. Paid MSRP two years ago (those were the early days). Service has been good.

As much as i like the Leaf, it will take a lot for me to buy another Nissan. While they have a decent EV out, their battery replacement plan is simply nuts. While it has been nice to not fill gas for ~2 years, my time is more valuable and Nissan simply has not stepped up.

Didn't want to start a whole new thread, so if anyone is still reading tell me if you have any thoughts. I am test driving a Leaf tomorrow morning. Any recommendations for what to do/test/pay attention to? It will be the first time I drive an EV of any kind (my wife too).

Boourns said:
Didn't want to start a whole new thread, so if anyone is still reading tell me if you have any thoughts. I am test driving a Leaf tomorrow morning. Any recommendations for what to do/test/pay attention to? It will be the first time I drive an EV of any kind (my wife too).
My only complaint with the LEAF is the battery has degraded about 10% over the last 18 months. You said back on page one that you were looking for a 24 month lease and I think that is the best way to go.

Do NOT purchase like I did.

Boourns said:

Yeah. Have fun and stop worrying so much! ;)

Boourns said:
I am test driving a Leaf tomorrow morning. Any recommendations for what to do/test/pay attention to? It will be the first time I drive an EV of any kind (my wife too).

Normally, people look for potential problems or annoyances during test drives. However, unless you have special needs, the LEAF's drawbacks (range and such) don't show up in a brief test drive. Most people come away very impressed. Close the windows, turn off the radio, and see if you can hear any noise at 25-40 mph.

You might want to start with Eco and B mode off, then turn on ECO, and finally test the car in B mode. If you start out in ECO/B, the feel of the brakes may be surprising. It's also good to commence with ECO off to see how the LEAF can accelerate.

Finally, if it's a hot day and you notice that the dealer has charged the vehicle to nearly 100%, ask him to only charge to 80% in the future, unless necessary, as per Nissan's own recommendations for battery life.

Back