Disabling "Door Open" Alarm

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morlglums

Is there a way to disable the beeping I get when I have the door open with the car "on" (not "ready")? When I am cleaning the interior, I like to have the stereo on, but with the doors open I get a constant beeping..

Nope, not without performing some internal surgery...

morlglums said:
Is there a way to disable the beeping I get when I have the door open with the car "on" (not "ready")? When I am cleaning the interior, I like to have the stereo on, but with the doors open I get a constant beeping..

If some one comes up with a good solution I'd love to hear it..
I've considered disconnecting the speaker but that would kill all audible telltales.. (Maybe not a bad thing).
I've also considered removing the door switch and shorting it out.. But then the auto dome light won't work.. Sigh.

I was able to do it just once, but have not been able to recreate the situation so I've no clue what I did. I don't even remember what mode I was in, but probably full accessory mode (radio and dash on).

Anyway, I pushed the button on the switch in and held it in for some period of time. Not a minute, but maybe pretty close to. And it stopped dinging! :eek:

But I suppose it could have been that maybe the switch just stuck closed that one time. :?

However, you've inspired me to play with it some more. Maybe this weekend.

morlglums said:

Another one of those "software enhancements" (not) :x

mwalsh said:
I was able to do it just once, but have not been able to recreate the situation so I've no clue what I did. I don't even remember what mode I was in, but probably full accessory mode (radio and dash on).

Anyway, I pushed the button on the switch in and held it in for some period of time. Not a minute, but maybe pretty close to. And it stopped dinging! :eek:

But I suppose it could have been that maybe the switch just stuck closed that one time. :?

However, you've inspired me to play with it some more. Maybe this weekend.

It looks like I was only able to stop it dinging once I'd turned the car off completely (still dings at you until you've exited the car after switching off. Or at least fooling the car into thinking you've closed the door and left).

You can turn it off during cleaning pretty easily. Just take a torx t20 head, put it in your drill and unscrew the bolt on each door sensor. The bolt completes the circuit so once removed the car thinks the door is closed.

Naturally it would be wise to use your head. Do not have the system online or the lights on the "Door" setting while you put the bolts in or out. Also slide the sensors back into their slots so you do not crush them if you close the door.

For those who stumble upon this page who want it disabled completely, you could simply replace the metal bolts with plastic ones or otherwise attach them differently. This is a potential safety problem so this information is neither endorsed or recommended. But hey, freedom is what it is all about in my mind. Simply knowing. I could do this makes it easier to live with it.

Lastly, you could put a wire between the terminals with a switch inline and attach it beside the button to turn it on and off (there is some room there. Note in this case that you would want to do a good job as the apparatus is outside the concealed trim, so it may get wet.

Happy theoretical modding!

It is possible, at least with the 2016 model.

With the door open and power off, press and hold the door switch (black nub just below silver latch on the door pillar). After a few seconds (maybe 30) release it. It seems to be permanently disabled. I’m not entirely sure how to turn it back on though.

The switch still works for the other functions and the door chime still works when the car is on.

I find in annoying that if you open the door before turning off the car, the dinging will persist after you turn the car off until you close the door. IMHO, the dinging should stop as soon as you turn the car off.

Back