EV, PHEV specs/dimensions compared

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JRP3 said:
I believe the 60 is about 180lbs less than the 85. I think a 200lb weight difference is all that is allowed to avoid separate crash testing, which would explain why the 60 doesn't weigh less than it does.

You are saying that the 85 weighs ~4,650 lbs, and the 60 weighs ~180 lbs less?

So, you think Tesla designed the 60 kWh model to be heavier just to avoid crash safety testing?

What did Tesla do to the 60 to add the extra weight, put some sandbags in the frunk...?

From a post on TMC:

"Received a written reply from Tesla confirming curb weight and battery cell type for the 60 kWh cars. Recap of 85 kWh vs 60 kWh information:

-Curb weight: 4647 lbs 85 kWh, 4464 lbs 60 kWh
-EPA miles per charge: 265 miles 85 kWh, 208 miles 60 kWh
-EPA MPG electric equivalent: 89 MPGe 85 kWh, 95, MPGe 60 kWh
-Both cars use Panasonic 3.1 ah 18650 Li-Ion cells, the 60 kWh cars use fewer."

So, 183 lb. difference between the two.

edatoakrun said:
JRP3 said:
I believe the 60 is about 180lbs less than the 85. I think a 200lb weight difference is all that is allowed to avoid separate crash testing, which would explain why the 60 doesn't weigh less than it does.

You are saying that the 85 weighs ~4,650 lbs, and the 60 weighs ~180 lbs less?

So, you think Tesla designed the 60 kWh model to be heavier just to avoid crash safety testing?

What did Tesla do to the 60 to add the extra weight, put some sandbags in the frunk...?
Yes, yes, and no. The 25kWh battery difference has to weigh more than 180lbs, because otherwise that works out to a pack level energy density of 300wh/kg, which is impossible since the 18650 cells Tesla uses are around 250wh/kg at the cell level, and the pack is around 150wh/kg.

JRP3 said:
Yes, yes, and no. The 25kWh battery difference has to weigh more than 180lbs, because otherwise that works out to a pack level energy density of 300wh/kg, which is impossible since the 18650 cells Tesla uses are around 250wh/kg at the cell level, and the pack is around 150wh/kg.
Interesting - I had not followed this.

TomMoloughney said:
I think you need to add an i3 REx in the PHEV column also. The weight, price & EPA EV range will be different. You have the engine power listed in the column now, but if it has the REx engine, then the weight you have is wrong. Maybe nitpicking, but the REx really almost makes it a different car don't you think?
Yes - potentially, one way to handle this. I was going to change BEV heading to BEV(x). In terms of weight etc - those are going to be different even for different trims. I was going to handle the differences by having multiple values in the columns (like I've done for S battery size, foe eg). I'll also indicate in some way what are optional (like the REx).

Wondering why you have the Model X priced lower than the Model S. I'm expecting the price to be the same or more than the Model S.

JRP3 said:
Wondering why you have the Model X priced lower than the Model S. I'm expecting the price to be the same or more than the Model S.
That needs to be updated. Given recent price increases, I think Tesla would be willing to price X about $5k more than S.

What about the Mercedes B class EV. Coming out 2014, similar timeframe to the i3. I don't know if all the specs are out yet.

Seems that the Leaf charger should have some mention of 6.6kw available, maybe "3.3kw (6.6kw option)".

dm33 said:
What about the Mercedes B class EV. Coming out 2014, similar timeframe to the i3. I don't know if all the specs are out yet.
Not sure whether it is a CA only compliance car or not. If it is generally available, I'll include it (once specs are known).

Seems that the Leaf charger should have some mention of 6.6kw available, maybe "3.3kw (6.6kw option)".
Will do.

evnow,

Here are a couple of space-fillers for the 2013 Smart electric drive.

Thanks for building this list for the community.

Andy

-----
Source: http://www.smartusa.com/models/electric-drive/overview.aspx
Features and Specifications pop-up; Technical Specifications

Front Headroom: 39.7 inches
Rear Headroom: N/A
Front Legroom: 41.2 inches
Rear Legroom: N/A
Front Shoulder Room: 48 inches
Rear Shoulder Room: N/A
Front Hip Room: 45.4 inches
Rear Hip Room: You guessed it - N/A ;)
Curb Weight: 2094 lbs (US model)
Charger kW: 3.3
Quick Charge: N/A
Motor Power: 47 cont; 74 peak (wide-open throttle 'kick down' switch)

This is awesome! But is there anyway to include type of heater used (e.g. heat pump, resistance, engine, engine with resistance boost, etc.)
I've been contemplating trading my Leaf in for a PHEV, but since I use the heater daily (or should I say nightly since I work at night) for about 9 months out of the year I don't want a PHEV that has to run the engine to heat the car. It would defeat it's purpose.

It's mid May and it's been snowing off and on all day.

LeftieBiker said:
.... and the Volt has a 5kw (IIRC) resistance heater.
Do you know if that changed in the newer Volts? I seem to recall the older Volts were more inclined to start the ICE for heat and people had to trick or try to, to not run the ICE when requesting heat. Too bad the Volt didn't have the option for a heatpump like the Leaf, would sure help for extending EV range during moderate weather heating.
I agree with Issac, it would sure be nice to see a chart of the various new and old EVs or PHEVs listing if it had heat running on EV and the type of heater(resistive vs heatpump).
It's mid May and I had to run full heat(fan heat, seats and steering wheel) last night in my Leaf :x while not snowing it was in the low 40s and everyone was cold having watched an outdoor event with a strong North wind :( Luckily I had charged to 90% and not my normal 80%, I made it home with 12% showing.

I don't know if the heater changed in the '16 or '17 Volt, but I believe you can set them to not force-start the engine until temps drop to 15F. I remember someone saying 5F was also an option, but I don't know if that's true.

LeftieBiker said:
I don't know if the heater changed in the '16 or '17 Volt, but I believe you can set them to not force-start the engine until temps drop to 15F. I remember someone saying 5F was also an option, but I don't know if that's true.
I think your right and tricking the outside temp reading was how people forced older Volts to not start when the temps dropped. I seem to remember one downside to this was the outside temp display was wrong, showing a much warmer temp than it actually was.

jjeff said:
LeftieBiker said:
I think your right and tricking the outside temp reading was how people forced older Volts to not start when the temps dropped. I seem to remember one downside to this was the outside temp display was wrong, showing a much warmer temp than it actually was.
For the 2012 volts there is a $0.99 phone app that can keep the motor off or on manually at the drivers will regardless of temperature or SOC , app even lets you fully deplete the HV battery to the lower limit and the motor won't start unless you "allow " it meaning the car coasts to a stop like a leaf past turtle.

http://gm-volt.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-268129.html

This thread hasn't been updated in a while and the link on the first post is now dead. Does anyone have a good link for a source that compares all the PHEVs? My 2011 Leaf is beginning to seem inadequate. I had assumed when I bought that the infrastructure would be there long before now to be able to pop in almost anywhere and charge up fully in a matter of minutes. It hasn't happened, so I'm limited to about 40 miles for practical purposes (freeway speed, 2-4 people in car, A/C full blast). There are other shortcomings, too (e.g. heater, sound system). So I'm consider a PHEV, possibly a small SUV if there's a good one. I've read a few articles, but things seem to change so fast and there is always a "killer" model on the horizon. I'd consider another BEV if it had a true range of at least 150 miles and the other limitations I mentioned have been solved. I can afford to go high-end, but I'm not looking for status/style/luxury, just the stuff I mentioned. At the moment, the most attractive candidate on paper is the Volvo XC60 with the Outlander close behind. Recommendations or links welcome.

A used Tesla Model S has large carrying capacity, long range, and access to the Supercharger network.

Back