1kw system = $4,300 installed

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In California, I'am in the SCE area (LA). We only get 3 cents/ kW. It took them 6 months to let that first check out to a " consumer"( I am really a provider or vendor now). I've heard that in the Dallas,TX area each consumer has a choice of one of four vendors. They said they pay about $.08/kW. They also asked me what is a Tier level (they don't have them in Dallas)? With my Leaf and an additional kW of panels, my return will be used to offset the price of gasoline not donated to SCE. Study U-Tube and look at the prices on Craig's list, then consider if you could install them yourself (use an electrician only to check your work). In a 10 k/W system, you'll probably save at least $3000. One last detail: under ideal conditions the 215 Enphase can only convert 225 watts per panel. Maybe your oversize panels will compensate for age in about 10 years (if the micro-inverter lasts that long)....Good Luck

It really depends on how you play the game and your utility..

You can't negotiate with the utility but you can with local installers and solar dudes... my wife ran them through the ringer (ALL OF THEM) and still to now before final completion coming up here still razzing them on stuff!

You can't be soft or they will take you for a ride.. I had a Solar City guy telling me BenQ panels are USA :lol: :D :roll:

Ummm.. no... they are as Chinese as chow mein.. and only "some" of the panels are "framed" here in the USA...

I'm like GTFO dude.. know your business.. know your panels, etc..

You have to be hard with these people like car salespeople.. work'em down!

AUO/BenQ panels are made in Taiwan, not China. Decidedly not US-made, but not Chinese.

Those Enphase inverters are also not made in the US.

megalo said:
AUO/BenQ panels are made in Taiwan, not China. Decidedly not US-made, but not Chinese.

Those Enphase inverters are also not made in the US.
BenQ's wafer and silicon plants for solar production are in both China and Taiwan (do you REALLY think because it's an island off the coast it's not China?? :lol: )

As for Enphase..It's a Cali/Petaluma company and to quote...
Enphase Microinverters are manufactured at Flextronics facilities in China and Canada.
And yes... you can specify which version of units you want from them..

USA customers usually get Canadian built ones anyways...

China :roll:

P.S. Have you looked up SolarWorld's panels :D

My BenQ panels are made in Taiwan. And yes, Taiwan is part of China - but go ahead and call a Taiwanese person Chinese and see what they say.

And I didn't say the Enphase inverters (which I am using) are Chinese-made, but they aren't US-made. Canada isn't (yet? :D) part of the US.

SolarWorld makes the panels in the US, but they are German owned. I still would rather have gone with SolarWorld since they employ a decent amount of US employees, but they were out of my price range.

That is true about SolarWorld being "German" owned.. I used to work for Siemens AG for 8+ years so I know a USA/German ran company if I ever saw one.

But the fact is they source 100% of ALL THEIR materials from here in the USA.. plain and simple.. keep it here.. why give it away?
http://www.solarworld-usa.com/solar-for-home/~/media/Global/PDFs/what-is-made-in-america.pdf

You ever try to get a SunnyBoy LLC America inverter replaced? You know what the LLC is there for?

They've had troubles in the past..no doubt in the future..

anyways.. enough with my morning rant. I say good luck to anyone going solar, just make the right decision and be sure the company is going to be around in 5 years or so..

And you can get ahold of them :lol:

I'll just update this my install... I'll post pics in another post.. but you can get the best for cheap or a decent price if you shop around..

But you have to work at it... nothing comes free or easy :roll:

It was an 'eye opener' when I saw the choices and prices you have in New York, New Hampshire, and Rode Island. Solar panel installation is not that complicated. Almost all the wiring is' plug & play'. The tools you'll need are probably in your garage. You can hire an electrician by the hour to check your work. But here's the hard part: (1) Check prices and shipping for panels, micro inverters, and hardware through vendors on Craig's List (electronics or household) in Los Angeles or San Francisco. (2) Check out solar panel installation on "U-Tube". There are various applications, check them all out. (3) The issues of Chinese Made, Canadian Made,or USA Made are not important, they are all made by robotics w/o human hands.(4)I know you have to pay more for shipping but don't pay more than $.90/watt for solar panels, or more than $140 per micro-inverter, or $35 per 12 foot rail.
Here in LA, I paid about $1250/Kw for materials. I had the help of two friends. Two Saturday mornings (do it early while the Sun is low) for installation. The electrician cost me about $150. Local rules/laws are not the same everywhere, but I believe you should know them weather you do it or pay someone to do it.
At the very least, you'll know what you're paying for, ;) or not paying for. Because of the 'plug & play' features of the wiring and panels, you can put up strings of panels one Kw at a time. Put up the panels part by part as your funds will allow, eliminating borrowing. If your needs change or you move, you'll still have the skills and experience to do it again.
My Leaf is a virgin, it has only been charged with SUNLIGHT. :cool:
Good Luck.

There are newer (more efficient )enphase micro inverters... also they are warranteed for 25 years so... way better than old style inverters with all the extra dc wiring. Micros let you troubleshoot the system easily if needed.

Love my 7.4kW, 34 suniva paneled, m215 inverted roof. Powers the whole house and Leaf nicely.

Back