You know your key-fob battery is running low when... Part 2

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mwalsh, I'll see your Fry's and raise you an Albertsons :)

Energizer 2-pack - $2.99 +tx

I first stopped at Radio Shack just two blocks away, and was disgusted by the no-name brand they were selling for $7.99. FOR ONE.

and how about these? online shipped free... save some gas or kwH in this case :-D

http://www.amazon.com/Energizer-2025BP-2-Lithium-Button-Battery/dp/B0002DSVRO" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Remember not to store your fob too close to the car, or they'll spend the whole night "talking" to each other and running your fob battery down much more quickly. I did this once on a Prius, with the fob across the garage wall inside the house, but learned to put the fob farther away.

Funny I hadn't seen this thread, but just ran across it on the active topics. The warning just came up on the dash yesterday!

walterbays said:
Remember not to store your fob too close to the car, or they'll spend the whole night "talking" to each other and running your fob battery down much more quickly. I did this once on a Prius, with the fob across the garage wall inside the house, but learned to put the fob farther away.

Curious...how close is 'too close' ?

ksnogas2112 said:
walterbays said:
Curious...how close is 'too close' ?
Maybe the Prius has a wider range than the LEAF. According to both the 2011 and 2013 LEAF Owner's Manuals, "The operating range is within 31.50 in (80 cm) from each request switch."

It would take exceptionally unfortunate positioning to meet that spec through a garage wall.

Ray

The key fob is difficult to open and using a small screwdriver mars the plastic.

I got the dash warning of low battery in the key fob. I didn't even notice the warning for a long time so pay attention!

So I found the spare fob and tried that one: completely dead battery even though not used.

So I tried replacing the spare fob battery first. I did get it to unlock the doors but nothing else.

So a few days later I tried my luck with my primary fob and replaced the battery. (And I tested the new battery with my voltmeter and got 3.2 volts vs 2.9 in the weak battery). Car would not turn on. Door unlock would function.

So now I'm left with two key fobs that don't work. I called local dealer and they said they'd give me a next day appointment. Great.

Meanwhile I did try the dead battery start up procedure and was able to turn on the vehicle. So it seems a dead fob battery is not too critical insofar as actually getting going. But I'm perplexed and annoyed why doing a simple battery replacement in the key fob should result in needing to schedule a service call at the Nissan dearlership.

Someone mentioned that you should not leave the key fob inside the car at night. I care to disagree. I always leave my key fob inside the car at night. And the 2025 button battery lasted 2+ years, which seems to be what others are getting. Meanwhile, the spare, which i didn't use at all and was stored far away from the car, had a dead battery when I needed it!!

I leave the fob in the Leaf every night in the garage and I've never had a low battery alert from it... I changed the battery at the two year mark just as a matter of course, not because of any indication that it actually needed it...

walterbays said:

sjohnsun said:
The 2032 battery works as well as the 2025.
Did you read my previous post?
This is BAD advice. :eek: :shock: :eek: :shock:
SOME 2032 batteries may work in the fob, but depending on the tolerance on the manufacture of the battery they may not work.
The Sunbeam 2032 would only partially work in my fob, but the thickness was too much and it disabled the function of two of the buttons.
I'm just lucky it didn't permanently damage the fob.
See my previous post:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=13398&start=10#p317123" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hello,
I replaced my fob batteries at 2 yr 2 months. Not because of a warning but because I had to have the fob next to the window to unlock the door. If the fob was in an outside pocket the doors would not unlock even with the handle button.

2 years and 3 months. My wife saw the warning on the dashboard when started the car. The second fob, does not give a warning. New batteries ordered from amazon.

camasleaf said:
2 years and 3 months. My wife saw the warning on the dashboard when started the car. The second fob, does not give a warning. New batteries ordered from amazon.
Same here, timing and all. Bought the 2025 at the supermarket, 4 bucks or so. Pulled the key out of the fob, used only nails to open it, no screwdriver needed. No sweat at all. Just watch your positive and negative.

I measured the used battery just to make sure, and it didn't pass. I like that warning screen in the Leaf. Cool feature to prevent headaches on the road. You see the sign, you replace and start fresh. Keep wife happy too.

I actually expected the fob holds 2 batteries. Just one is needed...

Here are 200 shipped for $24.50

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200-CR2025-CR-2025-DL2025-BR-2025-3-Volt-Lithium-Button-Cell-Battery-USA-US-Ship-/330889389020?pt=US_Single_Use_Batteries&hash=item4d0a8b63dc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tbleakne said:
The battery is a 2025. $4.50 for a pair at Lowes.

And 5 for $1.49 shipped!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-CR2025-CR-2025-DL2025-BR-2025-3-Volt-Lithium-Button-Cell-Battery-USA-US-Ship-/400435750908?pt=US_Single_Use_Batteries&hash=item5d3bd4a7fc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back