How to set the start charge time on a 2013 S model?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LEAF2013Owner said:
I'm so glad I found this thread!!! It seems like we S trim model owners/leasers are just an afterthought of the writers/editors of the 2013 manual.

Well, if you think the manual is poor at explaining the charge timer, just wait until you get to the section on climate control timer, it makes the charge timer section appear positively lucid.

Funny you mentioned the climate control timer because that was my next "adventure" with my LEAF! We live about 25 miles NW of Atlanta so it obviously hasn't got cold here yet but I would like to learn how to operate the climate control timer so I'll have a nice warm car to in the mornings before taking off for work. Our garage normally stays around 40 degrees F on the coldest days here so don't anticipate having to use a lot of energy to get it warmed up unlike the poor souls that live up north and have to park their LEAF's outside.

What is the technique for doing the climate control timer for the S model or where is the thread for that topic? Thanks! BTW, other than the skimpy info in the manual we love our LEAF and will replace our Honda van with a LEAF once the battery range can go at least 150 miles on a charge with the A/C or heater running. Hopefully this will happen before our 2007 Honda starts having high maintenance costs.

LEAF2013Owner said:
What is the technique for doing the climate control timer for the S model or where is the thread for that topic? Thanks!

Look here:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=14593" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks for this thread! I consider myself pretty tech savvy, but I could not figure this out. The Nissan instructions are terrible. I too thought my car was not capable of delaying the charge time until I found this thread! Thanks again!

Although im a 1 week nissan leaf owner has anyone thought of installing a 220V Intermatic T104 timeclock on the hardwire before the charge cable. This is the same time clock that controls 1, 000 watt parking lot lights.

roadwarriorATL said:
Although im a 1 week nissan leaf owner has anyone thought of installing a 220V Intermatic T104 timeclock on the hardwire before the charge cable. This is the same time clock that controls 1, 000 watt parking lot lights.
I don't see any reason you couldn't, as long as it's rated amps was more than the Leaf would draw. Personally I just use the end timer on my '13S, even on my '12SL I don't use the start timer but just the end timer but if you really wanted a start timer I don't see why your timeclock idea wouldn't work :)

bobsfreeleaf said:
planet4ever said:
bobsfreeleaf said:
There is no place to enter a start time. I am out of buttons to push or manuals to read. I think it has no start time, which is crazy since it has a "charge to" percentage. I mean, really, if you had to arbitrarily remove a function, couldn't it have been the end time? That way we could have started on the timer, and let the percent of charge terminate it.
Well, many of us use end-only timers on our 2011 and 2012 LEAFs, and they work very nicely if implemented correctly. Your "trip computer" does have a charging time display, doesn't it? An end-only timer should back up from the specified end time by the number of hours the charging time display shows, and start the charging at that time. If it doesn't, the timer is basically useless.

I can't imagine that it would have been designed the way you say it is working. I think you should take it back to the dealer and tell them the timer isn't working. You are, after all, at the very beginning of the production for a new model, and one that implements the timer in a new way. It is really quite possible that you have hit a bug in their software.

Ray
Success! I did some more testing based on your comment above, and you are exactly right. In my initial test, I was doing two things wrong: not setting the "to" time far enough in advance to see what happens when the desired end time is longer than the "charging time" amount. When set beyond that point, instead of an immediate charge light, you get the rotational three light blink, indicating it is ready (to start later). Another reason I was confused is, When I did set the charge time into the future, I first tested this function while the car was plugged in; it only executes correctly after I set the timer, turned off the car, and disengaged, and then reengaged the charging unit. Otherwise, just continues to charge from the moment you turn it off.

I'm a happy charger now. Thank you for being persistent. It was exceedingly not evident that charge "to" time meant charge "end" time. Given only two grainy little images to look at, I think it took a dunder head like me, and an engaged contributor like you, to figure it out. For Nissan, please take note that Manuals should be written from the perspective of the uninformed. I might have figured this out if I had read the six pages of Navigation model instructions but, really, who would when they did not buy that model. Thanks, Bob

I purchased a used 2013 Leaf S a few weeks ago and am having problems programing the delayed charging feature. I followed the directions in the owners manual and in this blog (this blog is very helpful - thank you) and get the rotational three light blink, indicating it is ready (to start later). But, the three light blink continues and continues - and each time it cycles the charger charges through one cycle, then does not charge through the next cycle then charges through the next cycle. This on and off charging keeps repeating through the repeated Blink cycle. I suspect something is not functioning correctly. Any advice would be appreciated.

Back