Nissan BladeGlider - Performance EV Concept

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Drivesolo said:
Nissan's strategy behind this is the same as the Esflow concept; to continue to foster an interest in EVs in what's to come.

^We have a winner!!! Unfortunately, Nissan's claimed vision in this has gone from crystal clear and soon, to farther off and much more fuzzy. Thats very bad! After Infiniti LE and now EsFlow going poof, it would seem Nissan just does not know what to do and is now just shining us on. And if they do know, its not going to happen for awhile.

I actually love the "Concept" of a radical aero reinvention for an ultra light Electric Sports Car. But the physical execution of BladeGlider is unfortunate because form and function are so unresolved. The best designs in anything, have form and function so well integrated that you cannot tell which drove what. Did form allow that function or did function cause that form? The longer you have to look and question this, the better the design. But Bladeglider is apparently just an expression of a single primitive form. Basically, a white triangle fitting three people can only keep ones attention for so long. I would really love to see Bancon step in front of BladeGlider and explain, but something tells me he might not. It is all too predictable to really be challenging/inspiring and likely headed for a parking spot next to LandGlider.

jstack6 said:
Nissan says they will release the BladeGlider in 2016.

A new concept like this 3 passenger is 50% better that a very limited 2 seat and more aero and efficient. I think it could take off. (pun intended)
Please cite the source where you are getting the statement from Nissan where the BladeGlider will be producted in 2016. All I've been able to find in a quick Google search was an article from GoAuto.com.au that only uses the date in the title.

Several articles are out with test drives of the "test mule"

And there are more statements from Nissan that it will be built in relatively large numbers, and sold at relatively low prices, in a few years.
To be clear, I did not drive the Nissan BladeGlider concept. What I did drive was Nissan's proof-of-concept behind the BladeGlider: a test mule mocked up with a similar narrow-front-track suspension arrangement. It's meant to demonstrate the virtues of this unconventional setup to Nissan engineers and executives, and a handful of journalists.

Let me be clear on another point: This car changes everything—forget what you thought you knew about sports car handling.

For example: At Nissan's Arizona proving grounds, I'm driving a conventional Ariel Atom for the second time. It feels skittish after driving the narrow-front-track prototype, and I'm cornering much slower. Coming out of the tight left-hand turn on the test course, I can actually see and feel that the inside tire isn't providing much grip, which is why the car won't respond as eagerly as I want. But here's the crazy thing: Without having driven the Nissan narrow-front-track prototype, I would never have thought this was a problem. It was just a normal part of a car's cornering limits—even a crazy performance car. After just a few minutes behind the wheel of the proof-of-concept prototype, I realize I have to re-wire my brain to understand what's possible...

The difference between the two cars is stunning. It's hard to believe they share so much hardware. In the standard car, driving at the limit is a tricky balancing act between understeer (which is when the front end become unresponsive) and oversteer (which is when the back starts to come around on you). Nobody would ever suggest that a stock Ariel Atom is unresponsive, but the altered car drives like it's hard-wired into your brain. After just five laps around the improvised course, I'm converted.

The BladeGlider's electric powertrain makes it easy to achieve the rear weight bias needed for the narrow-front-track setup. The concept car uses two motors mounted directly in the hub of each rear wheel, and with 75 percent of the weight on the rear axle, it's safe to assume that most of the batteries are mounted in the aft section. The concept car's tires are even more extreme than the prototype's, with 100/80-17 rubber in front—essentially a motorcycle-tire dimension—and 285/35-19 dimensions in the rear.

Back in Arizona, Bowlby mentions that the added benefit of the narrow-front-track arrangement is that having all the weight and aerodynamic drag at the back of the car makes it naturally stable. Plus, he says, the altered suspension gives the test prototype 10 percent more grip than the stock version, even with the all-seasons mounted in front. As I take on more laps in the prototype, I'm amazed at how stable it remains, right up to the limit. The stock Ariel is thrilling, of course, but you're always reacting to the shifting loads through accelerating, cornering, and braking. The narrow-front-track car, in contrast, makes me feel like my reflexes are twice as fast. I've never driven a car that's so balanced.

Let the Waiting Begin

Nissan's statements up to this point have been clear: There will be a production derivative of the BladeGlider. And not just a few copies for the ultrarich, as is the case with the Juke R, but an actual car you can buy in the showroom. In speaking with Nissan executive Andy Palmer before the Tokyo Motor Show, he said that while he can't be too specific, it usually takes about three years for a car to progress from the concept to production stage. He also made it clear that the road-going BladeGlider will be built in numbers that make it accessible to anybody who wants and can afford one. Of course, both the cost and sticker price are pretty hard to figure out at this point. No carmaker has been as bold as Nissan in committing to such an unorthodox idea.

The BladeGlider concept's debut at the Tokyo Motor Show will find plenty of detractors, and with some reason. After all, nobody has even seen anything like this on the road. It's still hard to for me to understand how the car works from just looking at it. But having driven the proof myself, there's no doubt that anybody who drives the car will quickly convert from skepticism to believing that this is how every sports car should be made.
http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/news/preview-concept/exclusive-sort-of-driving-the-nissan-bladeglider-concept-16178124" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

edatoakrun said:
Nissan's statements up to this point have been clear: There will be a production derivative of the BladeGlider. And not just a few copies for the ultrarich, as is the case with the Juke R, but an actual car you can buy in the showroom. In speaking with Nissan executive Andy Palmer before the Tokyo Motor Show, he said that while he can't be too specific, it usually takes about three years for a car to progress from the concept to production stage. He also made it clear that the road-going BladeGlider will be built in numbers that make it accessible to anybody who wants and can afford one. Of course, both the cost and sticker price are pretty hard to figure out at this point. No carmaker has been as bold as Nissan in committing to such an unorthodox idea.
If they build this thing and I can afford it, I am so in. Every time I look at the pictures, it makes me grin. Maybe they will start the BladeGlider tour next year, so we take turns whipping through cones in parking lots....

ttweed said:
I wish auto makers would stop making concept cars that we all know will never be produced and spend more time making their existing crappy designs better. Remember the Toyota Volta? How about all those EV concepts that are never made? Lots of amazing designs are shown that are viable and yet they spew out the same junk. I think these concepts are projects designed to keep talented designers from leaving the companies from boredom. :lol:

+1

philipscoggins said:
ttweed said:
I wish auto makers would stop making concept cars that we all know will never be produced and spend more time making their existing crappy designs better. Remember the Toyota Volta? How about all those EV concepts that are never made? Lots of amazing designs are shown that are viable and yet they spew out the same junk. I think these concepts are projects designed to keep talented designers from leaving the companies from boredom. :lol:

+1

The Volt started as a concept car that GM had no intention of building. it was a Camaro prototype with a golfcart drivetrain - no new tech at all. But there was such pressure from car buyers to build it, they were eventually forced to do so. You can see the result on the road and in showrooms.

Here are a couple of pictures of the BladeGlider concept from the Tokyo Auto Show:

Mr. Ghosn introducing the BladeGlider during the Nissan press event (sorry so blurry!):
BladeGliderGhosnIntro.JPG

BladeGlider with doors up during press event:
BladeGliderDoors.JPG

Here are a few more pictures of the BladeGlider concept:

From the front (a bit weird!):
BladeGliderFront.JPG

From the rear:
BladeGliderRear.JPG

From the rear quarter:
BladeGliderRearQuarter.JPG

LeftieBiker said:
Oh, gods. It's got three fantastic quarter views, and a nose-on view that makes me want to hurl, projectile style. A real deal-breaker, that nose.
I dunno --- I think that shot might be a little off-center. Some of the other straight-on pics that I have seen don't look bad at all.

I'm completely sucked in on this one. In one of the articles, Palmer hints that this will cost less than a 370, so I'm running various build-your-own 370Z calculations. The Z starting prices go from 29K to 38k depending on the trim level. That means the BladeGlider could be affordable if they get it out before the federal incentives are gone.

Anyway, I hope they keep the narrow-as-possible front track and the seating for 3. Just looks cool! Although, I guess you would need to keep the sliding seat to prevent dealing with super wide sills. Any way, that single seat cockpit just inflames the boy-race in me. Can't wait to drive something based on the Delta Wing. According to Top Gear, it sounds like one of those rare paradigm shifts.

Here's another shot I found from the front quarter:
BladeGliderFrontQuarter.JPG

jhm614 said:
I'm complete sucked in on this one.
Me, too (assuming you meant "completely")! I think this could come close to being the perfect commuter car. It's sporty and I expect it will be more efficient than the LEAF (due to lower weight and frontal area). If you have a passenger or two, they should have great legroom...

Here are some scans of the pages on the BladeGlider from the brochure Nissan handed out at the 2013 Tokyo Auto Show:
BladeGliderNissanBrochure1_Reduced.jpg
BladeGliderNissanBrochure2_Reduced.jpg
Note that the BladeGlider was also on the cover of the brochure.

Supposedly the three seat layout is likely to get tossed in favor of the traditional side by side two seat configuration. Nissan engineers claim the packaging and center of gravity is better with two seats set further back. Unfortunately there goes the best part of the design which is that central drivers position and amazing view. Personally. I am still not sure what to think or feel about this thing. I love the DeltaWing and believe in the performance advantage of the narrow track but the Bladeglider does nothing with its design potential (AKA - its ugly). Internally, Nissan needs to hold a major design charrette with all of its design centers. Heck, even pull in someone from outside like Daniel Simon to blast through a few dozen ideation experiments. Something like this would be right up his alley.

http://danielsimon.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Road Track article on driving the Ariel Atom "wedge" prototypes

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-reviews/first-drives/5-things-nissan-bladeglider-mule" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am still interested in one of these!

Autoweek test drive article : http://www.autoweek.com/article/20140625/CARREVIEWS/140629918" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

20140920_111714.jpg
20140920_111608.jpg
20140920_110335.jpg

Plug-in event at Huntington Beach. The BladeGlider is all sports car. They guy in the grey shirt works for Nissan (great guy to talk to) and told me that there is a push to build the car within the company. Since it's only a show-car, there are no specs.
It's about half the height of the LEAF.
After seeing it in person, I REALLY want it!

Back